August 21st, 2008
When I opened my eyes this morning, a wide smile broke on my face as I soaked in the fact that we are well and truly in Vegas!!!
I can’t believe I was even reluctant about the trip to begin with!
I couldn’t help but luxuriate on the opulent bed, and take in the sight of the extravagant hotel room. That’s one thing I have to give to Fisayo, my oldest brother! He has taste! And he is married to a woman able to find the best ever deals, so I won’t be surprised if the cost for this luxury hotel was about as much as I’d pay for a 3-star back in England.
Javier’s light snoring indicated he was still sleeping, so I threw on a dressing gown, and went to peer out the window, at the magnificent view of the town. Who cared for a view of a silly swimming pool! Nothing could beat this phenomenal view of the Vegas strip, which would be even more mind blowing at night.
The ring of the phone in our room startled me, and I hurried to answer it, before it succeeded in waking Javier.
“I thought I left a message for you to call me when you arrive!” came the voice of my immediate older brother, Folusho.
“Hey Flow!” I squealed, happy to hear the voice of my most elusive brother. Even though I am closest to him, he is the one I see, and speak with, the least. A few years ago, he’d quit his job with NASA, and had decided to just travel the world. From backpacking across Central America and South East Asia, to charity missions to Liberia and Sudan, Folusho has done pretty much everything imaginable, giving our Mom a near-heart attack every time. None of us could understand why he’d give up such a wonderful career, to go criss crossing across the globe but, according to him, his ugly divorce (which saw him losing more than half of what he’d worked so hard for, and getting very limited access to the daughter they shared) made him realize there was more to life than slaving away for money, so he’d decided to follow his dream instead.
“I see you and your husband want to sleep the day away!” Folusho remarked.
“Have you ever heard of that thing called jet lag?!” I snapped back, laughing.
“I’ve missed that laugh! It’s been too long, shorty! I don’t think I’ve seen you since your wedding!”
“And whose fault is that, Mr. been-around-the-world-in-ai-ai-ai!”
Folusho laughed. “I see your mouth is still sharp! I thought your oyibo husband would have taken off a bit of the edge!”
And that was how we bantered, my brother and I, like it hadn’t been almost a clear year since we spoke. In the end, we agreed to meet up for a late lunch, and I had to wake Javier to get ready.
“What about Natalia? Don’t you think she’ll want to come?” Javier asked, as we got ready to leave the room, to meet Folusho, and the rest of my family.
Oh, yeah! Natalia! I’d completely forgotten about her.
Dialing her room extension, I was surprised when it went unanswered, twice.
“Could she still be asleep?” I asked a bemused Javier, who was just as clueless as I was.
As her room was down the hall from ours, we knocked on her door as we headed out. No answer.
“Don’t worry yourself about my sister!” Javier said, as he noticed the worried expression on my face. “Have you already forgotten the blond hair? The new look? That woman didn’t come to Vegas to sit put in her room all day!”
And right he was, because as soon as we approached the poolside restaurant Folusho and I had agreed on, I caught sight of her in the distance, and I almost fell headlong into the swimming pool.
“Isn’t that her?!” I exclaimed, pointing in the direction of the blond woman, in the racy red bikini, surrounded by at least 5 men.
At that moment, she caught sight of us, waved, and started making her way towards us. Pussycat Doll’s Don’t Cha song was playing, and it couldn’t have been a more accurate soundtrack, as she swayed from one end of the poolside to the other, her hair blowing in the wind, and with the eyes of almost all the red blooded men fixated on her.
As she approached us, Javier and I stared at her in shock, with both our mouths open. Who was this sexy mama of a stranger? Where was the homely, mousey, plain Natalia we knew?
“Hey shorty!” came Folusho’s voice from behind me.
I broke my gaze away from the approaching Natalia, and turned to see my beloved brother. In a flash, she was forgotten, and I leapt on him, in a bear sized hug. He and Javier also hugged, and, at that moment, I felt like I was walking on air.
“What are you two just standing here looking at? The rest of us are already seated over there.” Folusho said, pointing at the VIP corner on the veranda. Looking up, I saw the rest of our crew, and quite a few of Fisayo’s friends, all making themselves comfortable, and I waved happily at them.
“Hi Javi! Hi Tayo!” Natalia panted, as she finally got to us. “I didn’t want to disturb you. I’ve been down here for a couple of hours, having the best time ever!”
I smiled at Natalia, and as I turned to introduce her to Folusho, I noticed a familiar look on his face, and I couldn’t help but let out an inner groan. He was ogling Natalia like she was a piece of meat.
“Hi, I’m Folly. Tayo’s brother,” he said, shaking her hand.
From the way she blushed, I could tell that the attraction was mutual.
“This is Javier’s sister, Natalia,” I introduced, almost reluctantly, realising neither of them could remember the other from my wedding less than a year before.
“Why don’t you join us for lunch? There’s more than enough room.” Folly said, his eyes glinting.
“I’m not sure she’ll want to leave the poolside…” I began.
“I’d love to!” Natalia cut in. “Can I go and change? I don’t think I’m dressed appropriately for a meal.”
“You look great as you are!” Folusho said, giving her body another eye scan. All that was left was for him to lick his lips. Hiss! Men sef! “But we’ll wait for you to change, if you want.”
“Let her have her fun, Tayo!” Javier whispered in my ear, his humour tinged voice confirming he’d noticed everything.
Hmmmm! Fun sha!
Okay oh! I hope nobody holds me responsible for anything that goes down oh!!!!
Catch up on Tayo’s Story here:
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 1: The Beginning
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 2: Little Drops…Big Drops
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 3: Time Keeper
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 4: Don’t Faint…Don’t Look
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 5: The Afterglow
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 6: Irony
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 7: Adulterer
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 8: Catch 22
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 9: Sister, Sister
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 10: Goose Bumps
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 11: Gold Digger
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 12: Peak
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 13: Road Trip
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 14: Emotional
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 15: Awful Mess
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 16: Pink Dresses
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 17: My Love
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 18: Summer
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 19: Mindset
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 20: High Street
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 21: Bored, Fat, Sad
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 22: Lessons Learnt
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 23: The Dress versus the Tee-Shirt
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 24: The Hen Night
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 25: Minding my business
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 26: Notice!
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 27: Spotting & Shopping
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 28: Messing About
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 29: Wedding in Tuscany
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 30: Lucky Girl
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 31: The Rescue Plan
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 32: Active Imagination
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 33: Covered Bases
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 34: Homecoming
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 35: House Arrest
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 36: Perfect Stranger
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 37: Evil Genius
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 38: Busy People
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 39: Voltron Moves
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 40: Swinging like a Pendulum
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 41: Back home
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 42: Kinky Boo
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 43: Divorce is not my portion!
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 44: Get the behind me!
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 45: Different Strokes
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 46: How Far?
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 47: The Pressure
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 48: Yankee Virgin