July 17th, 2008
“I have to take this” I said, rising to my feet and walking away from the table.
“Na wa oh! That’s how I didn’t hear from you again!” Solape exclaimed, as soon as I answered the phone.
“I didn’t know you were still expecting to hear from me. The last time we saw, you weren’t too pleased about seeing me.” I answered, not quite understanding where she was going with this.
“I thought you said you wanted me to see Ugo. I thought you said he needed ‘closure’! But it’s been a week, and no word!”
“Ahn ahn! I thought you were acting all irritated at the mere mention of his name.” I laughed sarcastically. This girl isn’t well oh!
“Well??!! Are we meeting or what?!” she asked, sounding almost desperate.
“Solape! Please, I don’t understand this kind of go-come! Last week, you made it perfectly clear you didn’t want to have anything to do with Ugo…”
“Wait…let me guess! You told him everything I said, abi?!”
I sighed deeply, my patience running thin. “I simply told him that you weren’t interested any longer.”
“Ohhhhh God! Ohhhh, Tayo!!!” she exclaimed, much to my shock. “Why did you do that?! Couldn’t you find a way to code the gist??!”
“Which kind of coding?!” I yelled back “This is a guy who risked his job, and wasted his hard earned money, not to even mention time, to travel here…just to get you back! I had to tell him the truth.”
“Tayo, you’ve just finished me!” she muttered. “I was hoping to keep all my options open…”
I rolled my eyes. “I thought you were comfortable to stay with your Mom, or find a rich husband.” I retorted.
“I don’t really care for your sarcasm today, Tayo!” she spat back. “What did he say? How did he take it?”
I shrugged. “He was hurt…but he took it well.” I paused for a few moments “But there’s something you need to know. He wants to fight for custody.”
“There won’t be any need for that. I want to follow him back to London…” she answered.
I laughed, a very deep-bellied laughter. Truly truly, this girl was on a cheap drug.
“You must think he’s a toy to keep playing with, abi? A light bulb to keep switching on and off?”
“Babe, on whose side are you anyways?! I don’t understand these your Voltron moves oh! Unless you plan on keeping him for yourself!” she screamed, her frustration obviously at fever pitch.
“Look, don’t be silly!” I yelled back. “I think I’ve taken more than enough from you! Don’t you dare insult me like that again!”
“Okay, sorry sorry!” she said, her tone implying anything but. “Please, I would appreciate it if you could arrange a meeting.”
“That will be a tough one, because we’re leaving tomorrow.” I replied.
“Ah!!! Tomorrow??!” she exclaimed. “Jor, Tayo! I’m begging you! I’m on my knees! Please!!! I need to see him! Tonight, if possible.”
I sighed deeply. Something had obviously happened between the last time I saw her and today, because this wasn’t the same woman from last week. I looked at my watch. It was almost 7pm, so not terribly late.
“Let me call him, and see what he says.” I muttered. “I’ll call you back.”
Without waiting for an answer from her, I disconnected the call, and dialled Ugo’s number.
“Heyyy! This is a surprise!” came his deep baritone voice. “I was already looking forward to seeing you in the airport tomorrow.”
“Ugo, there’s a bit of a situation!” I said, jumping straight to the point. There was no time for chit chat, or beating around the bush.
“Have you told your folks about the situation with Solape?” I asked.
“Not yet,” he replied, his tone flat. “My trip was so short, that I didn’t want to colour the mood. I was waiting to get back to London, think about things properly, before letting them know…”
“That’s good, because there has been a change of plan.” I cut in. “Solape wants to see you tonight. In fact, she wants to follow you back to London!”
“What?!!” he exclaimed. “Are you being serious right now?!”
“As a heart attack!” I answered dryly “In fact, she is waiting for me to call her back to confirm a meeting for tonight.”
He grunted. “Solape! That girl will never change. I thought you said she didn’t want to see me…”
“Look, Ugo. As of 15 minutes ago, that was the same thing I thought. I know just as much as you do, at this point.”
The silence that followed was so lengthy, I started wondering if he had hung up.
“Are you still there?” I asked
“Yeah…” his voice was heavy, and I could tell he was in emotional turmoil.
“Ugo, you don’t have to if you don’t want to…”
“No…I want to see her,” he answered quietly.
“Oh. Okay…” was my surprised response. That was not quite what I was expecting.
“I’ll be on the island in an hour or two…I can meet her up somewhere…”
I nodded. “Okay. I’ll call her now, and find out what works for her.”
“Oh, thank God!!!” was her relieved response, when I gave her the feedback. “He can’t come to my house. I hear noise in the background, so I reckon you’re not at home. Are you on the island?”
I answered in the affirmative, letting her know the café I was at.
“Good. I’ll come and meet you there. Please tell him I’ll be there,” she answered, her voice brimming with excitement.
Even though I hadn’t planned to be out too late, I knew it was best I hung around to chaperone the meeting. Who knew how it would go down.
“Oh, and Tayo…” Solape said, her voice timid. “I’ll be coming with my suitcase. Whether with you or Ugo, I’m leaving this town tomorrow.”
I raised my brow in amusement. Okay now!
Catch up on Tayo’s Story here:
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 1: The Beginning
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 2: Little Drops…Big Drops
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 3: Time Keeper
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 4: Don’t Faint…Don’t Look
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 5: The Afterglow
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 6: Irony
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 7: Adulterer
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 8: Catch 22
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 9: Sister, Sister
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 10: Goose Bumps
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 11: Gold Digger
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 12: Peak
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 13: Road Trip
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 14: Emotional
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 15: Awful Mess
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 16: Pink Dresses
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 17: My Love
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 18: Summer
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 19: Mindset
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 20: High Street
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 21: Bored, Fat, Sad
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 22: Lessons Learnt
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 23: The Dress versus the Tee-Shirt
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 24: The Hen Night
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 25: Minding my business
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 26: Notice!
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 27: Spotting & Shopping
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 28: Messing About
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 29: Wedding in Tuscany
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 30: Lucky Girl
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 31: The Rescue Plan
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 32: Active Imagination
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 33: Covered Bases
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 34: Homecoming
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 35: House Arrest
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 36: Perfect Stranger
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 37: Evil Genius
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 38: Busy People