July 11th, 2008
Solape let out a long hiss, when I told her she was the primary reason for my trip, and that Ugo was also in town.
“Can’t that boy just leave me alone, ehn?!” she exclaimed in frustration “Is it by force?! Can’t he take a hint?!”
I took a good look at the woman standing in front of me, and realized that she was a stranger. This was not the woman I thought I knew. The stark realization made me even forget that we were still standing outside, under the hot sun.
“Can I ask what exactly your plan is?” I asked, still rather bemused. “Have your baby, and stay here in your mother’s house forever?”
She shrugged. “I don’t see why not.”
I nodded. “I see. I’m guessing you expect Mommy to keep paying your bills…and the baby’s of course.”
“Don’t be melodramatic, Tayo.” Solape snapped. “Of course, I’ll get a job as soon as I can. Or better still, find myself a nice, rich husband” she added with a coy smile.
I couldn’t help but marvel. For so many years, we had made fun of the crowd her younger sister, Bukky, hung out with in London, yabbing them for being shallow, clueless, and materialistic. To realize that she wasn’t any different was a hard pill for me to swallow.
“Aren’t you going to come in to greet Mumsie?” Solape asked, breaking into my reverie.
“Not today…I have quite a lot to digest.” I responded. “But can I ask you a favour though?”
“What is it?”
“Could you please just see Ugo? Just to give him some form of closure, at least. Let him at least gain something from this trip!”
Solape raised a brow, and took off her sunglasses. “What’s your own with Ugo sef? Why all this concern?”
“Solape, you told me yourself that he is a great guy…a good man! Because of you, we had cause to talk a few times, and I got to see that for myself!” I shook my head “The man loves you! And you are making the biggest mistake of your life!”
Solape laughed and shook her head. “I hope your husband knows that you are crushing on another man sha!” she crossed her arms “No wahala. You can come along with him…because I’m not meeting him alone anywhere.”
“No problem, Sols. I’ll call you later today, so we can agree on time and date.”
As I walked away, my heart was as heavy as if I was bereaved. But I kind of was. Because the Solape I thought I knew, was apparently a figment of my imagination…gone, to never return. And it broke my heart.
I didn’t get home till later that evening, and the first thing I did was to call Solape’s older sister, Yinka, who had given me this cock and bull story about her sister being under ‘house arrest’.
Yinka listened to me rave and rant, without interrupting. When I was done, she had exhaled deeply, and her frustration was palpable, even over the phone.
“Tayo, didn’t you ask yourself why I didn’t call you after I got back from Nigeria?!” she asked.
Truly, I hadn’t heard from Yinka since she got back from her rescue mission, but had thought she had been frustrated over her failure to ‘rescue’ her sister.
“My dear, the way you are shocked now is exactly how I felt, when I saw her! If anything, she even seemed happy to be in Naija!” Yinka exclaimed.
“So where did you get the information from, in the first place?” I asked, exasperated.
“It was Bukky oh!” Yinka responded angrily “At first, I thought she had done it to be mischievous but when I confronted her, after my failed trip, her reaction showed she was as surprised as me. It turns out, Solape had given her the impression when she got to Nigeria…and given that she had been reluctant to go in the first place, Bukky found it a plausible story.”
When I told Yinka about the Ugo angle, she sighed even deeper.
“That girl is a fool! She thinks it’s enjoyable now, living the high life, and enjoying her Mother’s money. She has forgotten the woman she is dealing with.”
Considering the numerous horror stories this same Solape had told me about her mother in the past, I couldn’t help but agree that she truly has forgotten!
Skyping wit baby already, and almost wish I hadn’t committed to spending 10 long days here. Thank God I haven’t been foolish enough to gamble with my own love.
On the TTC side, my boobs were quite tender last night, and I had to sleep on my side, as sleeping on my stomach was hurting a bit. I haven’t had them this sore for a few months. I’ve also been having lots of vivid dreams too. But it’s all not really unusual for this time though really. But I’m still positive.
Today, I have had about three twinges, within 2 hours of each other, and they really hurt! It’s probably normal, but wouldn’t it be great if my bean is trying to implant!
Baby dust to me!
Catch up on Tayo’s Story here:
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 1: The Beginning
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 2: Little Drops…Big Drops
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 3: Time Keeper
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 4: Don’t Faint…Don’t Look
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 5: The Afterglow
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 6: Irony
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 7: Adulterer
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 8: Catch 22
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 9: Sister, Sister
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 10: Goose Bumps
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 11: Gold Digger
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 12: Peak
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 13: Road Trip
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 14: Emotional
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 15: Awful Mess
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 16: Pink Dresses
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 17: My Love
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 18: Summer
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 19: Mindset
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 20: High Street
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 21: Bored, Fat, Sad
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 22: Lessons Learnt
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 23: The Dress versus the Tee-Shirt
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 24: The Hen Night
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 25: Minding my business
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 26: Notice!
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 27: Spotting & Shopping
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 28: Messing About
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 29: Wedding in Tuscany
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 30: Lucky Girl
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 31: The Rescue Plan
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 32: Active Imagination
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 33: Covered Bases
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 34: Homecoming
- Tayo’s Infertility Diary 35: House Arrest