Trying to Conceive Group

April 2018 BFP Thread

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Nicole 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Nicole
    Keymaster

Helloooooo April! It’s Q2 and we’re so expectant for what this new quarter will bring for us!

There will be a few changes this month. For one thing, we will not continue with the mass tagging, so as not to clog anyone’s Inbox. You will only be tagged if you have indicated interest in being a part of our thread.

We also don’t want our weekly praying and fasting to be merely perfunctory, so we’ll need a show of hands to show that we all still want to continue with this.

But all in all, we will be sharing tips and encouragement, as always…and look forward to celebrating some wonderful :bfp: this month!  :yahoo:   :yahoo:

Welcome to our family, Funke @olufunky and Eniola @ennygarl  :friends:

@mandykatynsk @bolanle @workingword @tkanoba @smiley @bosa  @teeade22

Ogee
    Participant

I’m interested in being tagged please.  :angel:

Nicole
    Keymaster

Ogee @workingword  :heart: :heart: :rose: :rose:

Nicole
    Keymaster

FERTILITY BOOSTING TIPS

There are so many articles on boosting fertility, but I found this one particularly interesting…and thought to share. :yes:   :yes:

1. Beware of what you do after sex.
      A few things to avoid after sex include hot baths, long runs, hot tubs or other activities that raise your body temperature. You should also skip douching after sex because it puts you at risk for a pelvic infection.

2. Load up on vitamins.
    Ask your Doctor which over-the-counter prenatal vitamin you need, or if you should take a prescription prenatal vitamin. He may also suggest that you take folic acid or a prenatal vitamin with folic acid. Folic acid will help reduce the risk of spina bifida and other neural tube defects in babies. Food sources of folic acid include beans, orange juice, spinach and strawberries.

3. Chart your basal body temperature.
    Track your basal body temperature (BBT) to assess if you’re ovulating. Your BBT is your lowest body temperature and is measured when you’re fully at rest. That temperate reading fluctuates throughout your cycle. The day after you ovulate, your BBT will rise 0.4 to 1.0 degree and will stay elevated until your next period. You should check and chart your BBT using a basal thermometer each morning before you get out of bed, ideally about the same time each day. Track it over a few months to assess when you’re ovulating, and then have sex around the time of ovulation.

4. Assess your cervical mucus.
    Track your cervical secretions to assess your fertility. Your cervical mucus changes in quantity and quality throughout your cycle. You have the most when you’re about to ovulate and the least right after your period. You’re most fertile when your mucus resembles egg whites, looking and feeling stretchy and clear. The more of this mucus you have, the higher your likelihood of getting pregnant. Ovulation is done when the mucus has thickened.

5. Use an ovulation calendar.
    A fertility calculator or calendar can help you figure out the length of your cycle and the day of the month when you’re most fertile. Over time, you’ll see patterns in your cycle. And you can use that information to assess the best time to try to get pregnant.

6. Try an Ovulation Predictor Kit (OPK).
    An over-the-counter ovulation test can assess when you’re ovulating. That way you’ll get an idea of when you should plan to have sex. Since the kit can’t go in and see if you’ve ovulated, know that these kits aren’t 100 percent accurate.

7. Maintain a healthy weight.
    Ensuring that you’re not underweight or overweight will keep your reproductive cycle in balance. Check your BMI (body mass index) score; a ranking of 19 to 24 indicates a healthy weight. Anything above that range should be discussed with your health care provider.

8. Watch what you eat.
    Unhealthy food intake, whether too much or too little, has been recognized as a contributing factor to infertility because it can make your reproductive cycle irregular. And that causes you to ovulate occasionally or not at all. Switch protein sources, replacing some of the beef, pork or chicken you eat—animal protein—with vegetable protein sources, such as cooked dried beans and nuts. When 5 percent of total calories eaten come from vegetable protein instead of animal, the risk of ovulatory infertility drops by more than 50 percent. Add high-fat dairy because the more low-fat dairy products you eat, the greater your risk of ovulatory infertility. Try replacing one low-fat dairy serving per day with one high-fat serving, such as a glass of whole milk.

9. Stay hydrated.
    Your cervical fluid—which helps the sperm find the target egg—gets sluggish when you don’t drink enough water. Consume plenty of water so that your urine is light yellow.

10. Cut caffeine. 
    High caffeine intake interferes with conception. Consider eliminating or avoiding caffeinated coffee, tea and soft drinks (decaf is fine). Does the thought of losing that morning pick-me-up make you break into a cold sweat? You can stick to one to two 8-ounce cups a day.

11. Meet with your Gynaecologist
    Your health care provider can speak with you about the overall status of your health and suggest any lifestyle changes you need to make that can help you get pregnant. Since some fertility issues may be hereditary, it’s also a good idea to meet with a doctor if you have a family history of infertility.

12. See your Dentist
    Gum disease is linked to underweight and premature babies. And the health of your mouth and teeth can change once you’re pregnant. To ensure that your mouth is in tip-top shape, visit your dentist.

13. Manage stress.
    Trying to get pregnant can be stressful. Do your best to manage and reduce tension and anxiety. Try relaxation techniques like meditation, acupuncture or yoga.

14. Exercise within reason.
    It’s fine to get in some moderate activity. But engaging in strenuous, vigorous and extreme exercise might impact your menstrual cycle, leading to infertility. So, pass on the marathon when you’re trying to get pregnant.

15. Inspect your medicine cabinet.
    Some prescription medications may be unsafe during pregnancy or make it more difficult to get pregnant. Review the medications you’re taking with your health care provider.

16. Ditch the lube.
    Some lubricants can make sperm more likely to die before they reach the egg. If you need some lubrication to make you more comfortable during intercourse, try a lubricant that’s sperm-friendly or use canola oil. 

17. Stop drinking. 
    Yes, there’s no evidence that drinking an occasional glass of wine factors into your fertility. But consider passing on alcohol when you’re trying to conceive to be on the safe side.

18. Quit smoking.
    You and your partner should both ditch this habit for the sake of your health, your fertility and a healthy baby. Smoking makes you prone to ectopic pregnancies (when an embryo implants somewhere other than the uterus, such as in one of the fallopian tubes), lowers the number and quality of sperm and is linked to an increased risk of miscarriage.

Source: http://www.healthywomen.org/

Wow! Some of these were actual eye openers for me! Baby dust to all  :dust:   :dust:

cc: Ogee @workingword

Nicole
    Keymaster

Congrats Mrs O @diamondsblings on your :bfp:

Wishing you a healthy and happy 9 months!

Oluwakemi
    Participant

Congratulations Mrs O @diamondsblings :yahoo: So happy for you and praying for a blissful 40 weeks for you. :plane:   :plane:

Welcome once again Ogee @workingword

:hi: That’s my hand @nicole

Bos
    Participant

@diamondsblings Huge congratulations….Wishing you an easy 9 month journey…. :baby:   :cloud9:   :blue:   :pink:   :yellow:

Nicole
    Keymaster

TIPS FOR IMPROVING MALE FERTILITY NATURALLY

Hallo lovely ladies! I hope everyone had a great weekend  :heart:

I happened upon this article, and thought it would be great to share. It’s a good idea to also look out for our partners and their  :spermy: , as this is just as important as whatever we do to help our own selves!

1. Add Some Antioxidants to Your Diet
    Oysters with a slice of lemon, a fertility super food

Oysters are fertility superfoods due to their high zinc content. Zinc is an essential mineral for healthy sperm development. Richard Boll / Photographer’s Choice / Getty Images

Whether you’re just starting to try and get pregnant, or have been trying for a long time, making lifestyle changes to increase your fertility is essential. Here are 10 tips to increase male fertility and improve sperm health.

You’ve probably heard of antioxidants as cancer and heart disease fighters. They may also increase male fertility.

Researchers found that men who took antioxidants in supplement form had less DNA damaged sperm than men who did not take antioxidants.

Some researchers found that couples had higher pregnancy rates when men took additional antioxidants.

There are many antioxidants, but the ones that have been specifically studied in regards to improving sperm health are:

• Zinc: found in oysters, crab, red meat, poultry, and beans.
    • Vitamin C: found in many fruits and vegetables, with the highest levels found in red peppers, kiwi, oranges, and grapefruit.
    • Selenium: found in high amounts in Brazil nuts (1 oz provides 780% of your daily recommended value). Also found in tuna, cod, beef, turkey, and chicken.
    • Vitamin E: found in nuts, seeds, oils, and leafy greens.
    • Folic Acid: found in beef liver, leafy green vegetables, fruits, beans, and peas, and often in fortified grains.
    • Lycopene: found in tomatoes, apricots, pink grapefruit, and watermelon.

You can try to add more of these foods into your diet or consider taking a supplement.

As with all things, moderation is still best. Don’t eat too many of these foods. (Brazil nuts should not be eaten every day, for example.)

If you’d rather take a supplement, make sure you talk to your doctor first. Some supplements can interfere with other medications.

To read more, check out: https://www.verywellfamily.com/tips-to-increase-fertility-for-men-1959906

CC: @mandykatynsk @workingword @bosa @oluwakemine

Nicole
    Keymaster

@mandykatynsk hun, how are you today? Hope healing better after the surgery and feeling much stronger  :heart:

Oluwakemi
    Participant

Thanks for the tips @nicole

Mandy @mandykatynski, hope you’re recovering just fine. Stay strong. :heart:   :heart:

Nicole
    Keymaster

Never ever forget that, beautiful ladies  :heart:   :heart:

@bosa @mandykatynsk @workingword  @oluwakemine

Nicole
    Keymaster

It wasn’t easy making the decision to be open with my own story. I struggled with my first inclination to be silent about my journey and just enjoy my beautiful baby girls…or to reach out to the many women who, like me, were desperately in need of someone to talk to…someone to encourage them…someone who understood.

I’m so grateful I decided to be brave…and I’m grateful for the other women who also made the decision to do the same, especially the fab women who participated in our TFC Series.

May all women walking the TTC road be blessed with their happy endings  :heart:   :heart:

Bos
    Participant

Thank you @nicole for sharing your story. To all the brave women out there :wine:

Nicole
    Keymaster

CLOMID – PROS & CONS

Clomid: The Pros

• Clomid can work very, very well for patients with PCOS. Even in PCOS patients who are already occasionally ovulating, Clomid can make ovulation much more predictable so that intercourse can be timed to maximize the possibility of conception.
    • If you tend to have very long cycles (we had one cycle where Susan ovulated on CD37 – can you say “teeth-grindingly long wait”?), Clomid can speed up the process so you ovulate much earlier.
    • Clomid is a less intense option than injectibles. Definitely try Clomid before injectible drugs unless your RE recommends otherwise.
    • Clomid is taken orally, so it’s non-invasive.
    • According to the Medical Society for Reproduction, depending upon the patient’s age and any existing health concerns, 80% of Clomid users ovulate regularly, and up to 45% may get pregnant within 6 cycles. The overall pregnancy success rate for Clomid is 10-20%, which is nearly the same as for couples not experiencing infertility issues.

Clomid: The Cons

• Most doctors won’t want you to be on Clomid for an extended period of time. You may also have a total limit for your Clomid cycles (even if you take breaks between cycles). Generally patients are limited to 6 cycles of Clomid, though in special circumstances it might be prescribed for up to 12 cycles.If you experience several cycles where you’re taking the medication but don’t conceive or don’t ovulate at all, knowing you’re on limited time can be an emotional roller coaster.  Be prepared for that.
    • Clomid can come with some heavy-duty side effects. As with most drugs, side effects tend to be worse with higher doses, but some patients get hit with side effects no matter how small the dosage. Clomid starts at 50mg and goes up from there depending upon how your body is or isn’t responding.Reported side effects include pain caused by ovarian swelling, headaches, irritability (to put it mildly), visual disturbances, gastrointestinal disturbances, flushing and abnormal bleeding. Call your doctor if you experience these side effects.
    • Clomid can, in rare cases, cause a condition called ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS).OHSS can be fatal. Call your doctor or visit your emergency room immediately if you experience allergic reactions such as swelling of the hands or legs, shortness of breath and/or significant abdominal pain your doctor has not told you to expect.
    • Clomid increases the possibility of multiple births (twins, triplets or more!). You may not consider this a con; for a couple who’s been trying hard for a baby, finding out you’re having more than one can be wonderful and very much welcomed. However, pregnancies with multiples tend to be higher in risk than pregnancies with singletons, so you’ll need to be monitored more closely than the average patient.

Culled from: http://getpregnantfaq.com/clomid/

Nicole
    Keymaster

Hello lovely ladies, I hope everyone is doing great  :heart:   :heart:

Mandy @mandykatynski hun, I hope you’re feeling stronger and recovering well  :heart:   :heart:

Bos @bosa love, how are you today? Hope you had a great weekend  :heart:

Bolanle @bolanle dear, it’s been a minute. How have you been? Sending lots of  :dust:   :dust: your way!

Tosin @tkanoba dear, it’s been a while. How did it go with the OPKs? We hope if not already, you’ll soon have something wonderful to share  :bfp:   :cloud9:

Akintwins @akintwins dear, how are you? Have you made any decisions yet about the IVF? I’m here if you have any questions  :hug:

Joy @joy hun, how are you today? I hope you’ve been able to treat the infection and that the hydro is also under control. Have you made any decisions about next steps? I’m here if you want to ask anything  :hugs:

Gbubemi @temisan dear, have you been able to progress your search for a surrogate?

Eniola @ennygarl hun, how are you today? It’s been a while. How is the TTC break coming along? Are you still considering adoption?

Ogee @workingword how are you today? Blowing you loads of  :dust:   :dust:

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nicole.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.