February 24th, 2015
Straight from Church, Patrick dropped me at Diana’s apartment in Oniru Estate, for our ‘girls’ day out’! I was so nervous getting ready this morning, I didn’t even know what to wear. For some reason I can’t explain, I wanted to impress Vou so badly! I’m not sure if I made much of an impression on her the last time we saw (well, that’s if you call opening and closing my mouth like a fish in an aquarium an impression), so I was quite bent on reversing that. I must have tried on every outfit in my closet, before I eventually settled on a sequined Ankara outfit my tailor had made shortly before my trip, in a flattering empire silhouette. Paired with my bottom-box designer bag and shoes, I was good to go.
But I shouldn’t have bothered!
Imagine my shock walking into the apartment, only to see Diana and Vou in shorts and flat sandals.
“Na wa oh! In this your Naija heat?!” Vou had exclaimed, peering at me over her sunglasses. “Or are we going somewhere else, apart from having lunch?”
Sharp babe like me, I immediately regrouped.
“I’m so sorry. You know I’m just coming from Church.” I said, in my most casual tone. If only they knew that I had dressed up specially for them.
I happily accepted Diana’s offer to wear one of her more comfortable sandals, and we proceeded to take the elevator to her basement car park.
“Nice bag.” Vou commented, as we walked to Diana’s car.
It took everything in me not to holler Yes!!!!!!! Mission accomplished!
“So, what’s going to happen to this place after you get married?” Vou had asked Diana, as we drove out of the premises “Are you going to sell it? Or are you and Phillip going to stay here? It will be such a shame to give up this lovely place.”
Diana shrugged, without taking her eyes off the road, and I suddenly sensed that she was having second thoughts about moving from her posh apartment, to my brother’s very basic flat in Dolphin Estate.
Ah! This girl has jammed rock if she thinks my brother is going to move here! My proud brother??! Move to her late husband’s house?! Nah, that aint gonna happen!
I opened my mouth to tell her this, as sweetly as I could, but immediately changed my mind. Let Phillip fight for himself abeg! Me, I’m out to have a good time today!
We ended up on the patio restaurant of one of the big hotels on Ozumba Mbadiwe, overlooking the lagoon. As we placed our orders, I took in the view of the beautiful Lagos waterway, with different colours of speed and sail boats. Some people know how to enjoy life shaaa!
It was a fantastic afternoon! Not only was the food great, I also got to know more about Vou. From her no-nonsense attitude, if I had been asked to guess, I would have said she was probably divorced…maybe even multiple times too. But I was shocked to find out she has been happily married for 21 years!!! She got married right out of her teens, and she and her husband are the proud parents of 4 daughters and a son, with her oldest daughter having just turned 20, and preparing to graduate from University. Goodness me! This beautiful woman has given birth to 5 children??! And she looks like this?! I didn’t even look half as good before I got pregnant!
We also talked about the wedding plans, and I was a little disappointed when Diana stated her preference for something very quiet. As our first born, I’m sure my Mom has other ideas for Phillip’s wedding. I chose to just keep my mouth shut…right until when Diana said she might push for a destination wedding, outside of Nigeria. Ah! That one, I had to talk oh!
“That won’t fly hun.” I said, shaking my head. “My Mom won’t go with that idea.”
“I would think not!” Vou exclaimed, surprisingly on my side. Apparently, since all their weddings, Diana’s first inclusive, had been in London, Vou was eager to have a wedding in Nigeria for a change.
As no firm decisions could be made at our gathering, we advised Diana to sort things out with Phillip, before the trip to Abuja at the end of the month, for the introduction. Diana’s relatives had agreed to travel to Abuja, as it was agreed that Jos is too volatile for such a meeting.
“I really wish I could be there.” Vou said wistfully. Alas, as she is returning to the UK this week, coming back in a couple of weeks is not an option. Diana’s older siblings will be attending instead.
I’m not even sure if I will want to make the stressful trip to Abuja myself! Memories of my horrendous travel experience only last week are still too fresh in my head for that.
At the end of the evening, Patrick had picked me up from the restaurant, and all the way home, I filled his ears with stories of my new girl-crush. It was Vou this, and Vou that! Yes, I was totally smitten.
I was still talking as we drove into our compound, got out of the car, and made our way upstairs.
I guess that’s why I didn’t see the person I almost knocked over.
Looking up, I was startled to see the person standing in front of me.
Nwando is back!
Catch up on Faith’s story here:
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 1: BFP
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 2: Lukewarm Response
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 3: The Struggle
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 4: Tricked
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 5: Keeping her man
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 6: Men are so annoying!
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 7: Bleeding
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 8: The 9 Week Mark
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 9: Festive
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 10: The Holiday
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 11: This thing called love
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 12: The Pregnancy Glow
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 13: The Baby & The Bobo
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 14: Wahala
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 15: The Abortion
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 16: A Good Man
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 17: Joy…and Pain
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 18: Hostage
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 19: Ammunition
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 20: Famzing
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 21: Stress Relief
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 22: Diana
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 23: Bestos
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 24: The Miscarriage
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 25: In God’s Hands
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 26: Crossing the line
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 27: Last Minute Packing
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 28: Ex-Girlfriend
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 29: Not just friends
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 30: Fight for him
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 31: Faded Beauty
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 32: Holiday Glow
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 33: The Proposals
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 34: Baby Kicks
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 35: Celebration Dinner
- Faith’s Pregnancy Diary 36: Rainbow Baby