December 9th, 2009
I got some very interesting education today! And if I don’t write it down, it might go up in flames in this my cotton wool brain.
This morning, I was chatting with a fellow gym junkie (yes, I am now calling myself a gym junkie..lol!), and we got to talking about abs. He has the absolute definition of a 6-pack stomach…12-pack sef! So, I shared with him my current routine, which includes 2 sets of 25 crunches, 2 sets of 25 bicycle crunches, 1 set of 10 hanging leg raises, and 2 planks (one for 1 minute, and the other for 30 seconds).
He then asked how often I do this, and I proudly told him that I do it every time I come to the gym. Imagine my surprise when he told me that I should not be doing ab work on consecutive days!!! Wow!
According to him, abs are muscles just like all other muscles, and they need time to heal before working them again. The funny thing is that I know I’ve read this somewhere before, but something just made me feel like I should do them every time I go to the gym. I don’t always go on consecutive days, so it’s not always an issue, but when I do, should I not do abs? This is really important, because I want to get the most out of my workout, but it’s even more important because I don’t exactly love working my abs. An excuse to pass on them now-and-again would be nice. It might even motivate me to hit the gym two days in a row! It would also occasionally save me time. Of course, it would also cut down on the overall ab work I do, but maybe that’s okay? I’ll be happy to give my ab work a miss tomorrow…lol!
Anyways, it was another tedious one at the gym today. By the time I was driving home, I was perspiring so much that my work-out gear was dripping wet. But it felt so good!
After I’d had a shower, I decided to go to the mall while it was still early, before all the holiday freaks came out to play. The thing with December is that everywhere, every friggin wear, is crawling with people on holiday from out of the country, in various states of undress. Tiny shorts, skimpy blouses, flimsy dresses…all in a bid to ‘get over the heat’! Yeah, right!
But I digress.
Anyway, I got to The Palms at about noon, and started wandering through the stores. Doing so just reminded me why I hate shopping in this country! Everything is so annoyingly expensive and over priced. I eventually wandered into a less outrageous shop, and stood before this magnificent dress. I am a sparkles and glitter girl, and this just appealed to every thing in me. Black, part chiffon, part lace, bedazzled…and a size 18!
All of a sudden, I lost my nerve. Who was I fooling, thinking I could squeeze myself into a size 18 dress?! The last thing I needed was the familiar changing room sadness, with all those nasty, unforgiving mirrors making you feel like a sausage.
So, I made to turn around and leave, but something about that dress kept me rooted to the spot. Checking the price tag, I rolled my eyes at the unreasonable price, and decided that would be a good enough reason for me not to try it on.
Except it wasn’t.
So, I gave in to my desire, took the dress of the rack, and went to the changing room.
Perfect fit. It was a perfect fit!!! Not the kind of fit where you have to heave and squeeze to get zipped into, after which you waddle around because it’s too tight to walk. Not at all. With nobody’s help, the zip went up, one time! The dress just flowed down my silhouette, and it just felt great! The lace sleeves hid my not-so-toned arms, and the jewels and sequins on the bodice made me look even smaller.
Sharp sharp, I went to the pay for the dress. I didn’t even flinch when my card was swiped.
No! This dress is worth every penny. I’m definitely ready for Friday now!
Catch up on Ihunna’s story here:
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 1: Grubbido
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 2: Fragile
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 3: Defiant
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 4: Progress
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 5: The Gym
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 6: Killjoy
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 7: Pain
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 8: Frenemies
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 9: Exhilarated
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 10: Popcorn
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 11: Free-fall
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 12: Sunday Morning
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 13: Mission Reactivated
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 14: New Things
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 15: Bad Business
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 16: Luxury Items
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 17: The Solution
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 18: Magic Formula
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 19: Date Night
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 20: Quinoa
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 21: Perfect Fit
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 22: Keeping In Touch
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 23: Delete
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 24: Philosophical
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 25: Keep it Moving
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 26: My Co-Wife
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 27: Old Jeans & Old Friends
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 28: Prawn Stir Fry
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 29: Facebook Tagging
- Confessions of a Fat Girl 30: Detox Part 2