Helping in the quest to shift those unwanted pounds!

KETO Meals

12 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Bos 10 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

So, I thought to share some recipes for my fellow KETO lifestyle ladies out there! With the right meals, it’s really not as hard as we think  :yes:   :yes:

Below are some options for meals:

BREAKFAST

Bulletproof Coffee (okay, this isn’t for everyone…definitely not for me. It’s a popular KETO breakfast option…black coffee with butter and coconut oil. Yeah…not for everyone)

Omelettes (plain, scrambled, with tuna, fried salsa style…anyway you want. But preferably fried in butter or coconut oil)

Eggs friend sunny side up (I love this with sausages. Very filling)

Boiled Eggs (definitely a favourite…and very filling too)

Sardines / Tuna with eggs, or as a salsa on their own

Sausages, Burgers, and other breakfast meat

Bacon (KETO lovers loooove their bacon)!

Berry smoothie (made from berries and coconut oil. Don’t go too heavy on the berries. Remember that on KETO, you can’t go over 20g of carbohydrates, and you can easily do that if you’re too heavy on the berries)

Pancakes (there is a WIDE array of KETO pancakes, but my personal favorite is the coconut one. I will share the recipe as soon as I perfect it, as I’ve had a few mishaps along the way  :haha: . There is also a peanut butter one I want to try.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nicole.
    • This topic was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nicole.

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

LUNCH

Pepper soup (fish, chicken, goat meat…whatever you want)

Lettuce wrap (just like your typical wrap…but without the bread. The lettuce is the bread. Love it!)

Seafood & Avocado Salad (yummy goodness!)

Chicken salad (with lettuce, cucumbers, avocado, boiled eggs. Very filling)

Stir fries (chicken, shrimp, beef stir fried with greens. Go easy on the carbohydrates and sweet peppers, because of carb content)

Pork Chops with seasoned butter, cucumbers and tomatoes (no more than 1 small tomato)

Buttered Salmon or Croaker fish, served with greens

Egusi Soup / Okro Soup / Vegetable Soup, with lots of protein to fill you up. No swallow allowed oooooooo!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nicole.

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

DINNER

The truth is that lunch meals can also double up as dinner…but if you’re a light night eater like me, you might want something lighter. What I typically have are:

Kebabs (chicken or beef)

Suya (chicken, beef or gizzard)

Stir fry Gizzard or Snails (or any other meat of your choice)

Or I just move on to dessert  ;-)   :haha:

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

DESSERTS / SNACKS

Aaaaah, yes! My favorite part  :haha:

When I started with KETO, I was so worried about how I would satisfy my sweet tooth. And boy, was I relieved to find a number of HEALTHY ways to do just that  :yes:

Sugarfree Jello (this is my almost nightly companion! Calorie and carb free! What more could a girl want?!)

Chocolate Cake (I baked the most decadent cake ever this weekend! Recipe coming up shortly)

Low Carb Lemon Coconut Cake (will also share the recipe once I perfect it)

Sugar-free Lemon Bars

Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies

Grain-free Ginger Spice Muffin Tops

Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies

Chewy Cinnamon Almond Cookies

Sugar Detox Cookies

Coconut Chocolate Bars

Flourless Lemon Cookies

Ginger Turmeric Cookies

Cinnamon Coconut Peanut Butter Cookies

Peppermint Fat Bombs

I intend to try out every single one of these recipes, and will be sharing my experience as I do…so stay tuned!  ;-)

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

cc: @oluwakemine @adaoraa @pearl @bosa

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

NAKED CHOCOLATE CAKE

Yep, that’s the name oh! Real naked cake :haha:

I had never made a chocolate cake before…to be honest, I’ve never liked it in the past. But in the spirit of KETO, and as my coconut cake was a car crash last weekend (I’ll still try it again though), I figured it wouldn’t hurt trying a chocolate recipe, seeing that it is KETO-friendly.

After prowling the internet, I finally found one that I liked from http://www.thehealthychef.com. And it was gooooood. I got the frosting from another site, and I will also include that recipe.

So…for the Chocolate Cake, here’s what you need:

Ingredients

1/2 cup (2 3/4 oz) a good quality unsweetened dark cocoa powder
    1/2 cup (2 3/4 oz) coconut flour
    2 1/2  teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Pinch of salt
    6 eggs
    1/2 cup your choice of low-carb sweetener
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup coconut milk (or water…which is what I used)
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence.

Method

1. Preheat oven to 160°C / 320°F
    2. Combine the cocoa, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a mixing bowl.
    3. Add the eggs, sweetener, melted butter, coconut milk and vanilla.
    4. Mix well until smooth and combined – a whisk works well for this.
    5. Pour into a 20 cm (9 inch) baking tin lined with baking paper (or lined with butter, which is what I did)
    6. Bake the cake for 55 – 60 minutes or until cooked through. Best to test after 45 mins to make sure as oven temps may vary.
    7. Remove from the oven and cool.
    8. Spread with low carb frosting

The cake on its own has only about 5g of carbs per serving  :yahoo:

For the Low-Carb Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, I got that recipe from http://lowcarbyum.com

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter softened, 2 sticks
    • 1 cup low-carb sweetener
    • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk adjust as needed (to be honest, I didn’t include this, as I like my frosting thick, not watery)
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Method

1. Cream butter with electric mixer.
    2. Add powdered sweetener and cocoa powder, mix until combined.
    3. Slowly add unsweetened milk while beating until incorporated (optional).
    4. Blend in vanilla and stevia until desired consistency is reached.

Then you can spread over your cake and enjoooooy!

This joy to behold has just about 1.4g of carbs per serving!!!!

So, for the frosted cake, you do under 7g of carbs per serving  :wohoo:   :wohoo:   :wohoo:

cc: @oluwakemine @pearl @adaoraa @bosa

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

LETTUCE WRAPS

This is such an easy breezy recipe, I feel like a phoney even calling it a recipe!

But it’s such a delicious, easy meal!

All you need are:

• A head of lettuce
    • 2 boiled eggs
    • 2 frankfurters (or 1, if you’re not as greedy as me :haha:)
    • 1 cucumber (sliced)
    • 1 tomato (sliced).

Here’s what it looks like preassembled:

So, you pretty much eat it like you would a regular wrap, except in this case the lettuce is the bread. It’s so yummy….and so light! Here’s what it looks like assembled:

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Nicole.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Hmmm, this thread in the KETO heaven oh. I already see somethings that I want to try.

Thanks for  sharing Nicole @nicole

Bos
    Participant
    @Bosa

Looks so delicious, im gonna try some of these receipes. @nicole

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

KETO LEMON CAKE

Trust me, this cake tastes WAAAY better than it looks!

Okay, let me start by saying I tried baking cookies two weekends ago, and they were a DISASTER  :haha: . Thankfully, this weekend, it went better  :yes:

I found this heavenly lemon cake recipe, and it was so easy to follow! And guess what, the cake alone is 5g of carbs! How cool is that  :yahoo:

The frosting I got from another recipe. It was okay…I jazzed it up with coconut flakes. I’m still on the lookout for a better one though. But I’ve included the recipe as well  :yes:   :munch:

Lemon Cake Recipe (from http://delightfultastebuds.com)

Ingredients

• 4 Large eggs
    • 1/2 cup coconut milk
    • 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
    • 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3 small lemons)
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 2 teaspoons lemon zest (for more if you like it more lemon taste)
    • 3/8 cups coconut flour (1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp)
    • 1-2 teaspoon sweetener of your own choice (I used powdered Stevia)
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl (coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, powdered stevia (if using). Set aside
    2. Mix all the wet ingredients except eggs in another bowl (liquid vanilla extract, lemon juice, coconut cream or coconut milk and melted butter). Set aside
    3. In another mixing bowl, beat 4 eggs with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until it’s pale yellow, nice and fluffy. It usually takes about 3-4 minute
    4. Preheat oven to 350F or 180C
    5. Lower the hand mixer speed. Using your other hand, add in the liquid ingredients into the batter, 1 teaspoon at one time.
    6. Then add in the dry ingredients, 1 Tbsp at a time. I found that by using the hand mixer, it’s easier to avoid getting clumps from the coconut flour. You might notice the batter isn’t as fluffy as earlier but it shouldn’t be too sticky either. Resist to add an additional coconut flour or your batter will be too thick and the cake will turn out to be dense. A good tip if you have enough coconut flour is when you scoop the batter, it resembles pancake batter, not too thick, not too runny.
    7. Lastly, fold in the lemon zest.
    8. Grease your baking pan of choice (I used 9″x5″ rectangular pyrex dish) with coconut oil. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
    9. Pour the batter into the pan. Scrape as much batter as you can from the mixing bowl.
    10. Bake for about 30 minutes or depending on how hot your oven is. I checked mine after 30 minutes and it was still a bit wet in the middle so I added an extra 10 minutes. The top should turn into golden brown. Don’t overbake or your cake will be too dry.
    11. Set aside, and let it cool
    12. After it has cooled, you can now add your frosting. I went with a Coconut Buttercream Frosting.

Coconut Buttercream Frosting (from http://www.bakedbyanintrovert.com)

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
    • 6 tablespoons regular canned coconut milk
    • 1 cup sweetener 
    • 1/4 cup coconut flakes

Instructions

1. Combine the butter and cococonut milk in a large mixing bowl. Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat until combined and creamy
    2. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until the frosting becomes thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes
    3. Spread atop the cool cake
    4. Sprinkle coconut flakes

With the frosting, a serving of the cake is probably about 9 grams of carbs.

Bon appetit! You’re welcome  :munch:   :heart:

cc: @oluwakemine @pearl @adaoraa @bosa @eby

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Nicole.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Hmmm, it looks interesting though and I’m imagining the taste of tang of the lemon.  :good:

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

Trust me, @oluwakemine. It tastes yummy! Having it for breakfast now  :munch:

Bos
    Participant
    @Bosa

You need to share, can’t be keeping all these yummy goodness to yourself….. :yes:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.