Support group for women trying to conceive.

Thoughts on IUI

20 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  Deetee 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Deetee
    Participant
    @Deetee

Hello everyone, trust we are all doing well.

So I’m yet to do the myomectomy and in fact, I’m confused because some doctors have advised me to do the procedure while others don’t think it’s necessary. Truthfully, I do not want to do the procedure; and as an easy way out, I tried some products which “shrink fibroids”. Let’s just say I wasted my money…

Now the year has ended and it feels like everyone but me gave birth this year. What a life! Anyway, I’m considering IUI early next year but I’m also skeptical about it since the success rate is quite low. I’m not mentally ready for another IVF cycle as it is really draining.

Please share suggestions on good clinics for IUI (excluding Bridge – didn’t have a good experience with them the last time. I believe they are only about the money).

Also, is there anyone here who had a successful IUI cycle? Please tell me about it.

Thanks ladies.

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

Deetee @deetee hun, my dear, please don’t waste any more time on those fibroid shrinkers. At best, they manage, but shrinking…unless your fibroid(s) isn’t/aren’t that large to start with.

As for IUI, everyone knows I’m not a fan. Too low success rates…especially for the amount involved. I personally think it’s a waste of money. Like the doctor I spoke with in the early days of my fertility walk told me, it only takes you a few steps ahead normal  :sex: . So no, I wouldn’t advise it.

But if you insist, I would recommend Georges Memorial (Dr. Iketubosin), The Ark Clinic (Dr. Yemisi Bero) or Olive Branch (Dr. Emeka)  :yes:   :yes:

Back to the fibroid(s) hun, my honest recommendation would be to just remove it. It’s scary, I know…but a lot of us have had it, and for some, it even helped boost their conception chances. Yes, there is the issue of scar tissue, but it is something you can have a discussion with your doctor about. You could even discuss having it laparoscopically, to reduce the occurrence of scar tissue.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Deetee @deetee, honestly, I don’t think you should bother with IUI. You already said it. The success rates are pretty low.

Like @nicole said, you should consider having the fibroids removed, before trying further treatment.

Sending loads of :dust: :dust: to you.

Deetee
    Participant
    @Deetee

Thanks for the response @nicole and @oluwakemi. I guess that closes the IUI chapter for me.

It will be great if a laparoscopy will sort out the fibroids. @nicole do any of the clinics suggested provide that service? Also, do you guys know anything about Southshore Women’s Clinic?

Thanks.

Kemi
    Participant
    @mercy

@deetee, just as  Nicole and oluwakemi  said, I would also suggest you go for the myomectomy.  It’s not an easy decision but just take the step of faith.  I did mine on the 8th of this month. I kept on avoiding it till  last month . The doctor told me that if someone has been ttc for  a long time and their is fibroid issue especially submucosal  it’s better to remove it first before going for any assisted method like iui and ivf. God will give you the boldness and confidence to take that step.

Deetee
    Participant
    @Deetee

Amen. Thank you for the encouragement @kemi. How did the procedure go and which hospital did you use? Hope you don’t mind sharing. Trying to get all the details I can to enable me make an informed decision.

Thanks.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

cc: Kemi @mercy

Kemi
    Participant
    @mercy

@deetee  I did my myomectomy and dye test at OAUTHC in ile-ife Osun state.  I had a great team of doctors both  Senior Regs and my consultant, anaesthesiologists and some kind, pleasant and wicked nurses.

I had just 10 days to prepare for the surgery. I saw the doctor on the  29th of November and  I had the opportunity of picking any Friday in Dec because it was the last month of the year and people prefer to manage their situation and spend it with their folks according to the doctor. I picked 8th because I did not want to celebrate Xmas and new year in pains and in the hospital.

The doctor gave me some test  forms to check my pcv,  blood clotting, blood sugar level for diabetics. I asked him several questions including whether I would be given general or spinal anaesthetia. I was afraid of never waking up after surgery lol ( devil is a liar, he feeds on our fears). He said they give general for myomectomy because they are not sure of what they might meet there and that spinal wears off easily.

I was so scared I told my husband, a very close friend and my pastor  about the gen. Anaesthetia and they all encouraged me to go for it. My pastor even said his wife did the same procedure in OAUTHC and it was successful.

Note: I didn’t tell my mum because she had been discouraging me about going for it, because fibroid runs in my mum’s family and non of them had issues with conception. Secondly she has high blood pressure and I don’t want her to die yet.

It’s good to look for few people close to you that will support the course, encourage you and join you in prayers. You don’t need negative energy around this time.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

KEMI!!!! @mercy:haha:   :haha:@ Secondly she has high blood pressure and I don’t want her to die yet.

Mama Kemi ain’t going nowhere anytime soon. :yes:

But so true, @deetee, you need your support system to go through this and more importantly, positive vibes.

Whatever you decide, we are here for you’re​ Deetee. :hugs:

cc: @nicole

Kemi
    Participant
    @mercy

@deetee on the 29th of nov I went for some test and started researching like my life depended on it. Google became my best friend and I came across this forum. I read and read on myomectomy,  people’s testimonies both good and bad, I also learnt that one cannot afford to have constipation after the surgery,  because It would be very painful using the loo. Hmm,  I use the loo once in 5 days and I used  to like it incase I travel,  I don’t have to be looking for toilets up an down.  I started praying about that, and  as God would have it,  my system changed after I started my period and I began using the toilet every day.

30th of November was my fourth wedding anniversary, I cried and prayed to God that by the next anniversary, I would have become a bigger bundle of testimonies.

On Sunday I prayed and prayed and prayed the prayer of thanksqiving in church for a successful surgery free of complications and quick recovery Phil 4:6 says by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. After the prayer i had this  indescribable peace within me. At times i would just remember the general anaestetia, immediately i would begin to quote psalms 118:17, Jeremiah 29: 11 and Isaiah 53:11.

I was to be on admission on the 6th of dec but I begged the SR to shift it to 7th because I don’t like hospital environment (teaching hospital).

On the 7th of dec I got to the hospital and  registered and was given a bed. Infact I took  a bed spread  from home and placed it on theirs. One nurse started shouting it’s not allowed because of infection I told her I didn’t like theirs because of the smell and it was not smooth on the body. Then the matron a very nice woman said leave her, let’s see if by tomorrow she would remember if one bed spread is smooth or not.

Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

Deetee @deetee dear, South Shore is also a very good hospital. Dr. Alabi is one of the best when it comes to both open and non-invasive myomectomies. Dr. Iketubosin of Georges is also excellent.

Kemi @mercy, you had  :haha: but I fully get you hun. Our mothers can be over dramatic. And I also don’t blame you as per taking your own bed spread. It’s kuku something I can do :haha: . But our nurses sha. Which one is by this time tomorrow they’ll see if you’ll notice bed spread. How is that not meant to make one anxious  :growlmad:   :growlmad: . That’s how my mom said, when she gave birth to me, one of the nurses shouted ‘Congrats’ and the other said they shouldn’t congratulate her until she delivers the placenta. Can you just imagine! Thank God it all ended to the glory of God!

Kemi
    Participant
    @mercy

@deetee More to come, sleep is calling my name ohh.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Sleep tight namesake @mercy. You have done well :heart:   :heart:

Deetee
    Participant
    @Deetee

Thanks so much for the responses and encouragement @nicole @mercy and @oluwakemi . You ladies are amazing.

I think I will do the procedure in January/February so I can move on to other things. It’s really tough for me to discuss infertility with family/friends. I’m only comfortable talking to my husband about it. I’m so glad I can pour out my heart here and learn from people.

Thank God for a successful procedure. Looking forward to reading more from you @mercy . Have a good night rest ladies.

Kemi
    Participant
    @mercy

when I woke up I typed the epistle and as I was about  sending  it I mistakenly pressed the back button and in one second everything was gone. I re typed again and network wouldn’t allow me to send it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.