Group to discuss everything….and anything!

Baby name

6 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Profile gravatar of Nicole Nicole 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile gravatar of DAM
    DAM
    Participant
    @DAMI

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Dear ladies in the house</p>
    Husband in the house

Joined a couple of months ago but been too busy following uP

I know this might sound rhetoric or pretty straightforward to most of you but never the less I do want to sample ppeopls opinion.

So we expecting our daughter very soon and weve boyh agreed on a name …

We wanted something different and got inspired

AZARIA AFENITOLUWAKOSI

AFENITOLUWAKOSI means                        ‘ <span style=”line-height: 1.8;”>No one loves you like the Lord ‘</span>

YES afenitoluwakosi is pretty long and we love it because of the meaning it bears to us and our convictions on the name and by the way officially on hrr documents she would just be

AZARIA  AFENI not the full AFENITOLUWAKOSI…

This we already call heri AFE for short

I grew up in a German speaking country and still have family there and even though I don’t intend to return actively there with my family my daughter will learn German very early as I speak this as well.

However the problem is that in German AFE means monkey

And well some ppl think it rhymes with fanny or feni which means butt in native English

In as much as I have turned a deaf ear to it, deep down it does bug me especially cause i speak the language and my wife doesnt and can remeber hoe it eas growing up bring teased about an african name talkless of noe ones that ttandlates directly to monkey…as we all know kids in school can be terrible  and even if you raise your kid to hold her head high and maybe call her another short form and not afe but as long as its there it will still find its way out… why not avoid the whole embarasment for the kid in the first place.

So all in all I’ve said a lot what I really wanna know

1.honest thoughts on the name itself do you like it? (Its practically a ‘new’ Yoruba name)

2.Would you change it ..?

3.General thoughts on having new native names instead of recycling old ones.

Profile gravatar of DAM
    DAM
    Participant
    @DAMI

Dear ladies in the house

Husband in the house

Joined a couple of months ago but been too busy following uP

I know this might sound rhetoric or pretty straightforward to most of you but never the less I do want to sample ppeopls opinion.

So we expecting our daughter very soon and weve boyh agreed on a name …

We wanted something different and got inspired

AZARIA AFENITOLUWAKOSI

AFENITOLUWAKOSI means ‘ No one loves you like the Lord ‘

YES afenitoluwakosi is pretty long and we love it because of the meaning it bears to us and our convictions on the name and by the way officially on hrr documents she would just be

AZARIA AFENI not the full AFENITOLUWAKOSI…

This we already call heri AFE for short

I grew up in a German speaking country and still have family there and even though I don’t intend to return actively there with my family my daughter will learn German very early as I speak this as well.

However the problem is that in German AFE means monkey

And well some ppl think it rhymes with fanny or feni which means butt in native English

In as much as I have turned a deaf ear to it, deep down it does bug me especially cause i speak the language and my wife doesnt and can remeber hoe it eas growing up bring teased about an african name talkless of noe ones that ttandlates directly to monkey…as we all know kids in school can be terrible and even if you raise your kid to hold her head high and maybe call her another short form and not afe but as long as its there it will still find its way out… why not avoid the whole embarasment for the kid in the first place.

So all in all I’ve said a lot what I really wanna know

1.honest thoughts on the name itself do you like it? (Its practically a ‘new’ Yoruba name)

2.Would you change it ..?

3.General thoughts on having new native names instead of recycling old ones.

Profile gravatar of Bos
    Bos
    Participant
    @Bosa

Hello @dami welcome to our group. :hi: I’m always so excited when i read from a male member. God bless you. I love the name, the meaning is awesome. I don’t believe it will be an embarrassment to the child, I love the fact that you are keeping your heritage. I used my full name while abroad, they all had to learn to pronounce it….. :haha:

Take for example my name even in this same Nigeria – in yoruba has something to do with the penis; in another culture its a farm. My parents instilled so much confidence in me that when jokes were made, i laughed with them and didn’t feel bad. You bring up your daughter in so much love and give her the strength she will need in future. What if its not her name but other things in life she is bullied for? Those values will forever be required.

Finally if you don’t want to shorten to AFE why not AFENI or FETOLU? My son bears his full name – all 5 syllabi. My folks completely refused to shorten our name, it became so cool to hear people beg us to give them a short form then i look and say oh im sorry i don’t have a short form nor an English name. I love her name and thanks for the giving me one more name to my female yoruba name basket…..God bless your family. :good:

cc: @nicole @oluwakemine @iyadiipo

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile gravatar of Bos Bos.
    Profile gravatar of Bos
    Bos
    Participant
    @Bosa

cc: @iyawodiipo

Profile gravatar of Oluwakemi
    Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Wow @dami, welcome once more. Honestly glad to have you here and participating. Anyways, I have never heard that name before, which counts as a plus. Another, I absolutely agree with calling her by her full name, let them deal with it. What’s your name? AFENITOLUWAKOSI

What’s the short form: Sorry but there is no short form. That name carries a lot of weight called in full. No short form will do honestly.

Come to think of it, Baby Azariah isn’t here yet,  :haha:  I guess, you are planning for all eventuality. You have got a beautiful name there, stick to the full name, everyone else will fall in line.

Profile gravatar of Oluwakemi
    Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Wow @dami, welcome once more. Honestly glad to have you here and participating. Anyways, I have never heard that name before, which counts as a plus. Another, I absolutely agree with calling her by her full name, let them deal with it. What’s your name? AFENITOLUWAKOSI

What’s the short form: Sorry but there is no short form. That name carries a lot of weight called in full. No short form will do honestly.

Come to think of it, Baby Azariah isn’t here yet,  :haha:  I guess, you are planning for all eventuality. You have got a beautiful name there, stick to the full name, everyone else will fall in line.

Profile gravatar of Nicole
    Nicole
    Keymaster
    @Nicole

@dami, I am so so happy to have you here! Wow, a daddy in the house  :wohoo:   :wohoo:   :wohoo:

I have always loved the name Azaria and Afenitoluwakosi is such a beautiful name. So so beautiful! The full name might be a mouthful for the Germans, so Afe would do just as nicely. Like @bosa said, it’s all about the confidence with which you teach your daughter to carry her name. The name most people know me as is Adesuwa, and growing up I had a lot of people call me AdesuYa (or just suya)! I hated it, but I learnt how to chin up and let them know that wasn’t what my name meant. Just teach your daughter to explain the true meaning of her name to anyone who might be silly enough to tease her. Teach her how to carry the name like the queen she is.

Looking forward to the birth of your Princess  :heart:   :pink:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.