Sharing spiritual support and prayers!

Daily Meditation

354 replies, 13 voices Last updated by  Oluwakemi 1 day, 15 hours ago
Viewing 10 posts - 346 through 355 (of 355 total)
  • Author

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

3rd November, 2017

Good morning all :hi:   :hi:   :hi:   Today’s devotional is here.

Today’s Truth

“But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” -Luke 6:27-28

I sometimes think the holiday season should come with a warning label that reads, “The Sandpaper People are coming!” Holidays usher in many things – one of which is the opportunity to deal with the difficult people in our

lives. The relative that irritated you last Thanksgiving may very well do the same exasperating things this year. The people waiting in line with you will most likely be impatient and grumpy, and the person checking you out will probably be exhausted and running on fumes. Now is the time to get ready to deal with your sandpaper people – the people who rub you the wrong way.

God created us with the capacity for strong emotions. Sandpaper people not only have an uncanny knack for knowing where emotional buttons are located, they honestly think it is their purpose in life to push every single one of them. Our first reaction to the incessant and calculated button pushing of a sandpaper person is usually angry retaliation, a response that neither honors nor pleases God.

God calls us to peaceful resolutions. When it comes to difficult relationships, God does not want or expect us to declare war. We are to control our emotions instead of allowing our emotions to control us. The Apostle Paul writes in Romans 12:18, “As much as is possible, live peaceably with all men.” In other words, we need to set our mind on peace – not winning.

God’s wants us to wage peace in every relationship – including the roughest, most abrasive, anger producing sandpaper people who come our way. A formidable task, since every sandpaper person I have ever known comes complete with a set agenda that targets emotional eruptions and creates constant relationships upheavals.

Have you noticed how sandpaper people seem to love drama and create it everywhere they go? They also love a good fight, live to evoke angry reactions, and are fierce warriors who are determined to win every battle initiated by their downright irritating personalities.

I have learned an important maneuver for dealing with difficult people. Combat is impossible when one of the parties involved has laid down his or her weapons and chosen peace.

As I headed to the grocery store for my dreaded weekly shopping trip, I wrestled with my attitude. You have to understand that I absolutely hate grocery shopping. But on this particular morning, I vowed to choose joy, and turned my focus to the balmy Florida day before me. I had it all under control – until I pulled into the grocery store parking lot.

It seemed like every South Florida resident was in that parking lot frantically searching for a parking space – and they were not happy. After circling several times, I spotted an empty spot right by the entrance. God does answer prayer.

I made a beeline for “my” parking space. Just as I turned to pull in, an older lady boldly stepped into that prized space and, with great ceremony, held up her left hand, signaling me to stop right where I was. With her right hand, this self-imposed traffic director began motioning to a man I assumed was her husband as he circled the parking lot in his very large car.

I suddenly realized that she was saving “my” spot for him. Of all the nerve! What incredible gall!

Parking spaces are a serious matter to me. Evidently, I was not the only one who felt that way. In the midst of my simmering, soon-to-explode anger, this still small voice reminded me that I had a choice to make. I really hated surrendering my anger to God, but the thought of apologizing to that woman for running over her with my car was more than my mind could conceive or my stomach could handle. I quickly decided that if she was willing to risk her life for a grocery store parking space, she deserved to have it.

Unfortunately, the driver behind me did not agree, and whipped her car into the prized space just in front of the man in his large car, barely missing the woman who was saving the space. I watched the scene unfold – or explode. Crude gestures and loud, repulsive words filled the air. Some I understood. Some I had never heard and did not care to define. Threats were exchanged along with promises of retribution.

The whole experience was an ugly reminder that we live in a world filled with angry people who are constantly rubbing each other the wrong way. Sandpaper people. And while it is true that everyone gets angry from time to time, it is just as true that everyone can learn to effectively control and manage his or her anger.

When dealing with a sandpaper person, we must not allow ourselves to become the enemy. As you get ready for Thanksgiving Day, remember to prepare your heart to love the hard-to-love people that come your way.

Let’s Pray

Father, I am so thankful that You love me – rough edges and all. Please help me to love others in the same way.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen. 

Now it’s Your Turn

Who are the difficult people in your life?

In what way(s) do they irritate you?

What can you do to avoid a difficult situation with your sandpaper people?

Ask God to let you see those difficult people as He sees them – through eyes of love.

cc: @nicole @lala @bosa @bibi @peace @uloma @ketty  @smiley

Culled from http://girlfriendsingod.com/ready-sandpaper-people/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

6th November, 2017

Good morning people of God. Wishing you a great week ahead. Today’s devotional is here.

Walk with Boldness

The wicked flee when no man pursues them, but the [uncompromisingly] righteous are bold as a lion. — Proverbs 28:1

Some people exude boldness, while others struggle with living boldly as a beloved child of God. I had that problem until God showed me some important keys that helped me live boldly, and I want to share them with you.

1. Refuse to live in fear. Fear is epidemic in our society. The Bible instructs us in Hebrews 10:38 to live by faith and not draw back in fear.

2. Put setbacks behind you. You are not a failure because you try new things and they don’t work out. You fail only when you stop trying. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes, and if you do, recover quickly and press on.

3. Don’t draw comparisons. Boldness will be impossible as long as you compare yourself to others. Boldness comes from accepting who you are and being the best you can be.

4. Be willing to take action. Search your heart and ask yourself what you believe God wants you to do—and then do it.

Pray about these four keys and ask the Holy Spirit to help you live them out. In Christ, and by His grace, you can have confidence and be filled with boldness.

Culled from https://www.joycemeyer.org/dailydevo

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

7th November, 2017

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. How’s your day coming along? Here’s today’s devotional.

You Are Made for More

Image result for you are made for more

“The devil said to him, ‘If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.’” Luke 4:3(NIV)

“I think God would be OK with this,” she said.

I wanted to weep. I wanted to pull my friend close and tell her God will never be OK with something that had the potential to harm those He loves.

In the end, I couldn’t convince her, and it broke my heart. Later … it broke hers.

My friend’s battle began with temptation. At first, she just flirted with a thought. She started listing all the reasons it made sense, leaving out the devastation it could leave behind. After time, she acted on it. Eventually she crumbled when it didn’t turn out the way she thought it would.

We all face temptation. It might not look like my friend’s battle. We may be tempted to give up when things get hard. We may be tempted to walk away from something good because we’re not sure we deserve it.

We’re not alone in the battle. Jesus faced temptation. In Luke 4, Jesus is in a face-to-face battle in a barren wilderness with Satan. He is tempted on every level, just as we are.

The enemy starts with a simple temptation.

“The devil said to him, ‘If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread’” (Luke 4:3).

Imagine being in a wilderness with no food. Jesus’ stomach caves in with hunger.

With one word, the stones at Jesus’ feet could be turned to bread, but He stands firm. He’s on to the enemy’s plans. His Heavenly Father sent Jesus on a mission to draw a broken world to Himself.

This isn’t about bread at all. The enemy wasn’t trying just to destroy Jesus, but also God’s plans for Him.

Jesus doesn’t argue with him. He doesn’t entertain the temptation, but instead He counters with the Word of God. Through His example, He reveals that obedience to our Heavenly Father is greater than satisfying a right-now hunger. Jesus refuses to be deceived by one who cares less about Him and more about the destruction of His soul.

Every one of us has heard that voice of enticement … more than once.

Temptation calls us to compromise or fulfill an instant longing that takes us away from the will of God. It demands that we take things into our own hands and strip them from God’s. It tries to separate us from God — and His perfect plans for us — as much possible.

When my friend struggled with temptation, she placed her attention on her immediate hunger, and it blinded her to the real battle taking place.

If you’re tempted, your Savior is aware of your needs, far beyond the right-now. He understands how it feels to be tempted. He promises to help overcome temptation until you’re on the other side of the enemy’s plans.

Years later, my friend found her way back. There was a long trail of hurt behind her, but God healed her heart, and she held close to Him as she mended relationships wounded by her actions.

When asked to share her story, she simply says, “If it contradicts God’s best for you, run the other way.”

Whatever the temptation, temporary desires will never be greater than the lasting transformation that comes from choosing truth.

Dear Jesus, help me look beyond my feelings to find You. Help me speak Your Word over that temptation as I close the door to it, giving it no room in my heart or thoughts, In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Luke 4:4, “Jesus answered, ‘It is written: “Man shall not live on bread alone.’” (NIV)

Hebrews 4:15, “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are — yet he did not sin.” (NIV)

Culled from https://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/encouragement-for-today/encouragement-for-today-november-7-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

9th November, 2017

Hello :hi:   :hi:   :hi:   :hi:   Today’s devotional is ready.

A Prayer in the Presence of a Loving Father
    Related image

“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit,” the Bible says.” (Psalm 34:18).

Friend to Friend

The second the bus stopped at the corner, my little girl climbed off and ran as fast as she could toward where I stood.
 Something wasn’t right. She was crying.
Immediately my mind jumped to worst-case scenarios.

Not quite so dramatic, someone told her they didn’t like her anymore. In typical grade-school fashion, the mood of the relationship had turned sour on the playground. As a result, my girl fell out of the other girl’s affection.

There on the street corner, I held her close while she cried. I was glad she told me. But what made me most proud is what she said next: “When we get home, can we cuddle?”

For years I’ve been working with my girl to learn how to ask for what she needs. It’s hard for her, tough girl that she is. Typically she either guts it out or reverts to theatrics. Instead, we’ve discussed how to use words to communicate needs.

That day, on the street corner, she did just that.

If only I could learn to do the same.

Most days I’m glad to be an adult. I mean, really. Who wants to travel back to the days of diapers or pimples?

When I’m hurt or discouraged or afraid, however, my adult skin wears thin.

When bills demand paying and parenting proves impossible. When marriage is hard, friendships struggle, and doctor’s appointments fill a calendar.

Then I wish to travel back in time, when a girl’s greatest fears could be soothed in a mama’s arms. Held close, all was well. To a child, there’s nothing greater than a parent’s ability to comfort.

But comfort doesn’t come so easily to us grownups.

Where do you and I go when relationships wound and the injustice of life stings?

We adults carry such responsibility, don’t we? Such blunt knowledge of the unfairness and volatility of this life. Even if we avoid news and media, fear and pain still have a way of finding us. We can’t escape them.

Ourselves, more often than not. We either erect a false front of strength or cave in to a pattern of complaining. But neither brings much relief.

There’s a better way.

The Bible is rich with examples of men who voiced their needs and asked God for His comfort.

Even better, the Bible nearly explodes with examples of God’s corresponding tireless affection.

At times He comforted those He loved through their circumstances, and other times He comforted them in their circumstances:

• To the leader Joshua, overwhelmed by his new task: “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged” (Josh. 1:9).
    • To the Israelites enslaved by ruthless Egyptians: “I am concerned about their suffering” (Ex. 3:7).
    • To the widow who’d lost her only son: “Don’t cry” (Luke 7:13).
    • To the adulteress caught in her shameful sin: “Neither do I 
condemn you” (John 8:11).
    • To the blind man longing to see: “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you” (Luke 18:42).
    • To the disciples, who ached because their friend would be leaving them, Jesus said: “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age” (Matt. 28:20).
    • And to those of us who wade through the deep waters of this modern life, longing for a world we’ve heard about but have not yet seen, Jesus promises: “I am going there to prepare a place for you” (John 14:2).

Regardless of your pain—whether physical, emotional, or spiritual— you don’t have to pretend to be strong, nor do you need to succumb to your tears. Become a child in the presence of a comforting Father.

Don’t be afraid to expose your need and ask God for comfort.

Then, count on Him to deliver.

Dear Lord, I come into Your presence with my broken heart. Instead of building walls and lashing out, I give my hurts and fears to You and seek Your comfort. As I read the scriptures, let me hear Your words through the ages, as words meant for me in my struggles.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Culled from https://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/your-daily-prayer/a-prayer-in-the-presence-of-a-loving-father-your-daily-prayer-november-9-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

10th November, 2017

Good morning all. Today’s devotional is here and it calls for introspection. :yes:   :yes:

Face the Truth About Yourself

And not a creature exists that is concealed from His sight, but all things are open and exposed, naked and defenseless to the eyes of Him with Whom we have to do. — Hebrews 4:13

Someone once asked how I live free from my oppressive past. My answer is very simple: God has given me the grace and the willingness to face the truth about myself.

I grew up in an angry, unstable atmosphere. Because of my quick temper, I was upset most of the time. Because of being upset, I grew up depressed, disappointed and discouraged. I wished I could have a better life, but my wishing didn’t solve anything. It wasted my time as I kept blaming my problems on my bad family background.

Finally, God helped me realize that while I wasn’t responsible for what had happened to me and I couldn’t change my past, I had to stop wishing and start taking responsibility for the way I lived moving forward. I had to stop blaming other people and my circumstances, and stop making excuses for myself. As I did this, and put my trust in God to heal and restore my life, I changed. Now I have peace and enjoy my life.

You might be in a similar situation. Facing the truth about yourself is scary, but you don’t have to do it alone. All your flaws are exposed to God, and if you ask Him for His perspective, He will help you pick yourself up, take responsibility, and live a peaceful life. Today, don’t be scared to face the truth about yourself, but let God guide you into a new tomorrow.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

13th November, 2017

Good morning all. Today’s Word enjoins us to rejoice always and it’s hard to do that, during those times, you just want to curl up and bawl your eyes out or even you are in that limbo space, where you are neither sad, nor happy, you are just there. But the Word says to rejoice, so we rejoice, even when the things we desire most seem out of our reach, we rejoice. Even when things don’t seem to be going as we would like…we rejoice. :yes:   :yes:   Enjoy the devotional.

Image result for rejoicing through hard times

Worshipping God in the Tough Times

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! … And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”Philippians 4:4,7 (NIV)

“It’s cancer.”

I stared at my phone screen and reread my sister Karol’s text over and over again.

She had accompanied Dad to his doctor’s appointment and promised to let me know how it went. I’d pulled into the church parking lot and was about to return to my office when I saw her text. Gasping like I’d been tackled, I doubled over against the hood of my car.

The fear that lurked in the back of my mind now fully surfaced and became reality: My father had cancer.

It wasn’t just that I loved my dad — he was my hero, my friend, my mentor in the Christian faith. He was the best man at my wedding, and as our Church of the Highlands began to grow, my dad moved to Birmingham to help us. He was deeply intertwined in every aspect of my life, and I couldn’t imagine any of it without him.

Walking on autopilot, I went to my office and shut the door. I slumped into the chair and began wrestling with unnamed feelings. As a pastor and a student of God’s Word, I had all the biblical answers and pastoral training for situations like this.

I knew God’s truth. I believed God’s truth. But suddenly … I didn’t know what to do.

Just as Daniel had been a captive of the Babylonians, I felt as though I’d been held hostage by heavy emotions I couldn’t process.

So, feeling desperate for God, I did the only thing I knew to do: I turned on some praise and worship music. That probably sounds strange. Worship and grief don’t usually go hand-in-hand. But I’d learned to practice worshipping God no matter what the circumstances.

God promises us peace that surpasses all understanding in Philippians 4:7: “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” But before we get that promise, we have some instruction. Philippians 4:4 is the key that unlocks this peace: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”

Worship didn’t erase my grief in the moment, but transformed it into overriding peace. A peace I could not have found any other way.

I let the goodness of who God is soothe me. I felt His power strengthen me. I sensed His presence as He comforted me. And though I knew I would grieve Dad’s cancer again and again, I took comfort in the reality I could survive this news.

During that season, while my father battled for his life, God gave me a verse to focus on: “The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom” (2 Timothy 4:18a, NIV).

As I reflected on this verse, I thought, Well, which is it? Will God rescue my dad from this evil attack? Or will Dad go safely into heaven?

Eventually, I realized the answer was “yes” — and both happened. His treatment successfully eradicated the disease from his body. However, the cancer returned the following year, and my beloved father passed away a few months later.

I grieved then, and I still miss him. But I find great joy knowing Dad is in heaven, and I’ll see him again someday. With God, we’re always in a win-win situation.

The pivotal moment in the whole journey of Dad’s illness was that day in my office — the day I worshipped God and refused to bow to fear, pain and despair.

If I’d chosen not to worship at that time, the world would have understood. After all, death and sickness are known to take people out for a little while.

But then, doesn’t stepping out in faith usually run counter to this world? Hearing Dad’s diagnosis felt like my Daniel-in-the-lions’-den moment. My mind told me God had abandoned me. But rather than cave to the despair of looming circumstances, by God’s grace I chose to worship Him no matter what and never bow to the pressures of life.

And you can, too.

Dear Lord, thank You that worship changes everything as it restores my perspective. Help me move from viewing my problems as big and You as small to the exact opposite — as I focus on how big my God is. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Daniel 6:10, “Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.” (NIV)

Culled from https://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/encouragement-for-today/encouragement-for-today-november-13-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

14th November, 2017

Hello :hi:   :hi:   :hi:   Today’s devotional is here.
    <h2>Interior Designs</h2>
    Image result for facade and the heart

Deuteronomy 6:1–9

“He seemed like such a nice boy.” How many times have we seen the neighbors of a convicted criminal interviewed on TV, shaking their heads in disbelief that an outwardly nice person could hide such evil intentions? Outer appearance can deceive, but the heart reveals itself eventually.

God provides a master guidebook to redesigning our spirits: the Bible. He directs us to tie his Word on our hands as we would tie a cord around a curtain, to bind his commandments to our foreheads as solidly as we would hang a valuable painting, to write his promises on our hearts as carefully as we would follow a blueprint. This is the ultimate form of home improvement.

Redesign must begin with our hearts. That is why God commanded the Israelites to pass on his holy commands, decrees and laws to their children and to allow them to permeate their lives and thought processes. Even today, Jewish families often fasten a small box called a mezuzah, containing Scriptures from Deuteronomy 6:4–9 11:13–21, to the doorposts of their homes to remind them that because “the LORD is one” they should “faithfully obey the commands . . . to love the LORD your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.” Only God’s Word can do the work of improving the lives of his people, generation to generation.

In Jesus’ day, the Pharisees wore phylacteries, literally fastening Scripture to their foreheads. Some of the Pharisees wore their phylacteries pridefully to display how “religious” they were. Unfortunately, many failed to live out what the Scriptures inside their phylacteries said. Christ called them hypocrites. You may succeed in fooling the neighbors, but God is not deceived. He doesn’t want his principles displayed outwardly if they don’t impact us inwardly. When ingrained on our inmost being, his principles will change the way we think, act and live.

Would your neighbors be shocked to see inside your locked rooms? Would your own family? Perhaps you spend so much time on decorating your exterior that you’ve neglected what Teresa of Avila called your “interior castle,” the cloistered rooms of your soul? Take the time to memorize Scripture, meditate on it and tell the children in your life about God. That kind of home improvement is eternal
    <h2>Reflection</h2>

1. What disconnects your spirit from your outer facade?
    2. Who might God want you to “adopt” as a spiritual child so you can talk with them, teach them and train them to know and love him?
    3. How much time do you spend redecorating the inner rooms of your soul through prayer and Bible reading? How can you deepen and nurture your faith?

Deuteronomy 6:8–9
    Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
    <h2>Related Readings</h2>
    Exodus 13:1–16Deuteronomy 11:13–21Proverbs 7:1–4

Culled from https://www.biblegateway.com/devotionals/womens-devotional-bible/today

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

15th November, 2017

Hello ladies and gentlemen. Today’s devotional is here and  I think we can all relate.

A Prayer for When You are in the Desert

The LORD your God has blessed you in everything you have done. He has watched your every step through this great wilderness. During these forty years, the LORD your God has been with you, and you have lacked nothing. -Deuteronomy 2:7

As we see in this verse, God shows us who He is by what He does. We see His promises worked out in the lives of His people and know that the same God is working in our lives.

lord-is-with-you

When we are in the middle of a desert trek, God’s hand seems absent, blinded as we are by the glaring circumstances. But when we emerge from that leg of the journey, we can look back and see that God has watched over our every step. The journey was hard and went on longer than we thought we could bear. But here we stand. All the way through the desert, just when we thought we couldn’t last another day, God’s mercy met us in some observable way: a kind word, an unexpected provision, or a “chance” encounter. The assurance of His presence always came.

The desert has things to teach us. We learn things there that we can’t learn anywhere else. We see the careful provision of our Father in a different light. His love stands out in stark relief against the background of the desert’s barren landscape. In the wilderness, we come to the end of ourselves. We learn in new and deeper ways to cling to Him and wait for Him. When we come out of the desert, the desert lessons stay with us. We take them with us into the next stretch. We remember the God who led us through the desert, and we know that He is with us still.

Desert times are fruitful times. Though they seem barren, lush fruit is being produced in our lives when we walk through the desert. The Lord will sanctify your desert times and make them to be fruitful in your life.

Let’s Pray  

Dear Lord, I know that wherever I am, You are with me—guiding, protecting, providing. You make a mountain into a way; You make streams flow in the desert; You cause a root to grow out of dry ground. Thank You for giving me the opportunity to see You work when all hope seems lost.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Culled from https://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/your-daily-prayer/a-prayer-for-when-you-are-in-the-desert-your-daily-prayer-august-2-2016.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

16th November, 2017

Dearest people of God, today’s devotional is here. :yes:   :yes:

Living Free from Debt

Keep out of debt and owe no man anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor [who practices loving others] has fulfilled the Law [relating to one’s fellowmen, meeting all its requirements]. — Romans 13:8

It’s important for us to understand that the battle for our finances is really a spiritual battle. The enemy tempts us to spend more than we are able to pay off so he can keep us under pressure and distracted from our walk with God.

But we need to have a goal to enjoy the life that Jesus died to give us—a life of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. We can’t do that if we are under pressure and frustrated by financial debt.

It’s possible to live debt free by using biblical principles for managing money. My husband, Dave, says that if we learn to live within our borders, or our income, then God will bless us, our borders will be stretched, and we’ll have more. Luke 19:17 tells us that God is pleased when we are faithful and trustworthy in little things. When we are, it says He will give us authority over bigger things.

So don’t fall into the trap of trying to live “bigger” than what God’s entrusted you with. Stay out of debt by living within your boundaries…then watch God expand them.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

17th November, 2017

Good morning all. It’s a marvellous day and today’s devotional is here.

Let Go and Let God

Image result for let go and let god

Today’s Truth

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. – Matthew 11:28

Friend to Friend

Physical therapists scare me. They are so friendly and so kind … until they get hold of whatever body part needs therapy. That’s when the torture begins.

At first, the therapist is gentle, lulling you into a false sense of comfort. Then it begins. I soon learned that they push just a little past the point where pain begins and your trust in them ends, doing very little to change my mind about the role of a physical therapist.

Several months ago I had extensive surgery for a separated shoulder. For six weeks, my surgeon threatened me within an inch of my life about not moving my arm and shoulder at all. When I went in for a follow-up visit, he examined me, smiled and said, “You are healing well, so I think you are ready for some therapy. I will set it up.”

When I went in for my first therapy session, a very kind woman who introduced herself and said she would be working with me greeted me with a smile. We talked for a few minutes about my injury, the surgery, pain levels and her role in my recovery. She then asked me to remove my sling and lay down on a table where she surrounded me with fluffy pillows. Maybe it wasn’t going to be so bad after all.

After not moving my arm and shoulder for six weeks, I was a little nervous when she gently took my arm in her hands. Explaining that we were going to proceed slowly and with great caution. “Since this is your first visit, we are just going to do two or three exercises that will tell me how stiff and sore your shoulder is” she said. She then told me to take a deep breath and slowly let it out. With gentle kind hands, she began to move my arm in small circles. After six weeks of not moving my arm at all, the simple exercise felt very strange and only mildly uncomfortable.

The therapist stopped, looked me dead in the eye and said, “Let me have it.” She could tell by the confusion on my face that I had no idea what she meant. She smiled and told me to give her the full weight of my arm, to relax and let her do the work. “You don’t have to do anything. That is my job. Just tell me when and how much it hurts. Let me have it.” When I forced myself to relax my arm and shoulder, I immediately understood what she meant.

I could trust her. She knew exactly what to do to help me heal and fully recover from the surgery. All I had to do was to stop trying to do it on my own, relax and let her have the full weight of my wounded arm and shoulder.

I am now into the third month of physical rehab and can tell you that my therapist is an angel. God has used her to help me heal. When I try to push too hard, anxious to complete the therapy and get back at life full speed, she can read the pain in my face and reminds me to relax and let her have my arm so she can do what she needs to do.

My Father works the same way. I come to Him with a burden that is painful and so hard to bear. And He says, “Let me have it.”

When I have been hurt and betrayed, my heart is broken and I cry out to Him for comfort, He says, “Let me have it.”

When I have sinned and run to Him for forgiveness, He says, “Let me have it.”

So often I pull back, afraid to fully trust Him. I know. You would think that by now, after all we have been through together, that I would know how absurd it is to even question His work in my life. But I am so human. I want to know the plan before I can rest in Him and let Him have my burdens. I know that my plans are so inferior to His, but I don’t like to surrender control.

I am so thankful God knows me and loves me still. He patiently waits for me to get to the end of myself and then says, “I’m here, child. Let me have it.”

Let’s Pray

Father, please forgive me when I stubbornly refuse to give up control. I want to become a woman of faith whose first choice is to let You have every burden in my life. Thank You for Your unconditional love and forgiveness.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Make a list of the concerns and burdens in your life today. Spend time in prayer, surrendering each one to God. Destroy the list and thank Him for His faithfulness.

Culled from http://girlfriendsingod.com/let-go-let-god/

Viewing 10 posts - 346 through 355 (of 355 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.