Sharing spiritual support and prayers!

Daily Meditation

299 replies, 13 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Oluwakemi Oluwakemi 12 hours, 3 minutes ago
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bibi
    Bibi
    Participant
    @Bibi

True talk! we all need that friend who will tell you the truth no matter what @oluwakemine

Profile photo of Oluwakemi
    Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

We surely all need that friend @bibi, especially when we don’t like to hear or see the truth in ourselves.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Good morning all. It’s a new day and we thank God for the gift of life. Today’s devotional is about spreading the love of God. We are God’s beloved and should share the love of Christ with all mankind. Sometimes, we fail but we will keep trying, because God never gives up on us. One day at a time, show love today.

Image result for showing love

God’s Construction Crew

We know that we have passed over out of death into Life by the fact that we love the brethren (our fellow Christians). He who does not love abides (remains, is held and kept continually) in [spiritual death]… 
    – 1 John 3:14Life in this verse is the life of God, or “life as God has it.” I don’t want to be one of what I call “the walking dead”—someone who lives and breathes, but never truly lives as God desires. Loving others is the only way to keep the God kind of life flowing through you. It has been given to us as a gift; it’s in us, but we need to release it to others through words and actions. Left dormant, it will stagnate like a pool of water with no outlet.

Are you a part of God’s construction crew, or part of Satan’s destruc¬tion crew? Do you build people up with your words and action, or tear them down? Do you strengthen or weaken them? If you ask these ques¬tions and get the wrong answers, it is easy to fix. Just simply begin today by making a plan to be a blessing to others. Use your words, facial expressions, and voice tones to lift up others. Smile at people; it will be a sign of approval to them. Live to put smiles on others’ faces, and you will always have a smile on yours.

Love Others Today: Look for the needs around you and let God use you to meet those needs. Make sure you’re part of God’s construction crew!

cc: @nicole @lala @bosa @bibi @peace @uloma @ketty  @smiley

Culled from http://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/Devotional.aspx

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Profile photo of Oluwakemi Oluwakemi.
    Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

4th August, 2017

Good morning :hi:   :hi:  Today’s devotional is all about the tough lessons. Enjoy!!

Image result for God giving us rest

Fireside Lessons 

And He said unto them, ‘Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while’ (Mark 6:31, KJV).

Friend to Friend

I have learned many lessons from my husband about how to do ministry. Dan is a people person and views strangers as friends he simply hasn’t met yet. But his heart beats for the lost man who seems to be running from God with every ounce of energy he has. Dan’s passion gave birth to the Fireside Ministry.

Every Sunday night men from all walks of life gather in our driveway around a fire pit to share what God is doing in their lives as well as the struggles they are experiencing. They ask for help. They pray for each other. Fireside time is a holy time where God shows up and works in amazing ways.

One Sunday night I slipped into the garage to grab something out of the refrigerator we keep there. When I heard Dan talking about the spaces we have to create in our lives, I stopped and listened.

For months, I had been brutally examining my life. I was very busy doing good things, but were those things ordained by God or tasks simply assigned by my own need to be seen and heard? I was tired and discouraged – ready to give up.

I sat down on the garage steps and listened as a master teacher laid out a life-changing truth for me.

Dan said, “I give Scott a hard time about his fire-building technique. But there is a truth here for all of us about the spaces we need to have in our lives. Scott cannot stand to see space in a fire. The minute one of the logs burns through, Scott jumps up and replaces it with two logs … and the fire always struggles to keep burning. Here’s why. A fire has to have space to burn its brightest. There has to be room for air to get through and fan the flames. If there are no spaces, the fire will soon die out because it can’t breathe.”

“Mary, you need space in your life … for Me,” the Father whispered to my heart.

I immediately knew what I had to do. I had to lay down every commitment, every ministry, and every log in my life at the feet of Jesus. I was smothering the power of God because there were too many logs on my fire and no space for Him to fan the flames of His plans for me.

I’ve repeatedly tried to defy my God-given need for rest, thinking that I’m somehow above both the occurrence and consequences of exhaustion. Some urgent task will always call my name, as will that person whose life will absolutely disintegrate before my eyes if I don’t do something right now. My ego loves those deadly toxic strokes that are from the pit and smell like smoke.

Stress shouts, “Get busy! There is so much to do!” Stress applauds and dances with delight as I keep on “doing” instead of “being.”

Life is so daily and often filled with uncertainty, a reality that can make me very nervous. I want to know what the plan is and how that plan is going to be implemented. Details! I need details! Instead, God calls me to rest.

I don’t want to rest.

When I rest, I feel guilty. I have places to go, people to see, and important things to do. I hear the quiet whisper of the One who knows me best and loves me most, “Mary, it is time to rest.”

In Psalm 23:2 the psalmist writes, “He lets me rest.” Don’t let that gentle statement fool you. The Revised Standard Version of the Bible says it this way, “He makes me lie down in green pastures.” I can personally testify to the fact that the word “makes” holds a world of possibilities in the hands of our creative God.

Throughout the years God has gently grabbed my attention with an illness that drove me to bed or a crisis that drove me to my knees. He is a persistent loving Father and well aware of just how much rest we need and when we need it.

We will rest – one way or another. The logs will come off and space will be created for our good and His glory. God’s love will see to it.

Let’s Pray

Father, forgive me for the arrogance that keeps me on the run, trying to prove my worth. Teach me how to rest in You, Lord. Help me learn how to say “no” to those things that keep me from sitting at Your feet. Give me a hunger and thirst for You that can only be satisfied by time alone with You. I love You, Lord.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Consider the following questions. Record your answers in your journal.

• Why does it really mean to “be still before God”?
    • What “time thieves” do I need to eliminate from my schedule?
    • What long-term commitment do I need to make concerning rest?
    • What areas of my life are out of control and need to be submitted to God?

More from the Girlfriends

God has a plan for dealing with the stress in life by learning how to build in margins that allow us to rest.

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

Profile photo of Bos
    Bos
    Participant
    @Bosa

Awesome piece, this spoke to me in volumes. Create that space for the fire to burn, most times we truly occupy ourselves with so much activities especially church workers but how much time do we really spend alone with our father? Food for thought…..Thanks @oluwakemine

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

A pleasure @bosa. I’m still going to find time to sit down to re-read it again. And you can say that again about church workers. #formingbusywithnosubstance

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

7th August, 2017

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Today, we will start off with a heartfelt prayer. At one time or the other we have found ourselves in a situation that feels everything is falling apart. We may even be going through one right now. Here’s just a reminder that even at those times, God cares about us and won’t let us go. The devotional is below:

A Prayer to Keep it Together When Your Life is Falling Apart

“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son…” (Romans 8:28-29)

The drama that life brings is inevitable. Yet how we respond to it determines whether or not it will be fruitful in our lives in conforming us to the image of Christ. Our response to the drama also determines whether God gets the glory or we shine the spotlight on our frailties, insecurities, and emotional instability.

With help from God’s Word, plus some practical guidance, you and I can be drama free – even when the unthinkable happens. Even when you are clearly a victim. Even when life takes an unexpected turn and you are caught in an overwhelming whirlwind of circumstances that would make any person lose it. Even then.

Here are four ways that you can keep it together when it feels like your life is falling apart. (These four steps spell the word “CALM” which is what you can be if you practice them.)

C – Consider the bigger picture. 

Life – and therefore every circumstance you encounter – is meant to conform you to the image of Christ. Once you consider this, you can relax and realize God knows what He’s doing in the circumstances He’s allowing. And you can focus on passing the test, rather than failing it through unnecessary drama.

A – Acknowledge God is in control. 

You are going to trust the God of miracles and whatever He decides to do or not do, for your greater good. Try taking a look at God’s track record in the stories of the Bible. People went through trial after trial, but when they acknowledged God’s control and remained faithful to Him in spite of their circumstances, they experienced deliverance, protection, comfort, and peace. God has an excellent track record of honoring those who trust Him.

L – Look for the lesson. 

Ask God to show you what He wants you to see in the moment, and then stay tuned to His instruction. I find it is helpful, and a reminder to me that God is working in my life, when I say aloud, “God, show me what You want me to see in this situation” or, “Mold me through this, God,” or, “Open my eyes to the truth of Who You are through this situation and my pain.” Maybe your short prayer is simply, “Change me through this, Lord Jesus.” By acknowledging that God is doing something through our situation, we won’t miss the lesson.

M – Make it a point to praise. 

In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 we are instructed to “give thanks in all circumstances: for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Note that command says in all circumstances, even the unexpected, uncomfortable, and unwanted circumstances. As we thank God for our circumstances – and for whatever He determines to do through them – it will change our perspective and make us people who anticipate His provision, rather than dread the worst.

Lord, Thank You that what is happening in my life right now did not take You by surprise. You understand the bigger picture of what is going on and I trust You with Your plan and purposes for my life. Thank You that You are in absolute control and You are fully able to conform me to the image of Christ through this ordeal as I surrender it to You. Show me what You want me to learn through this and help me to remain teachable and sensitive to Your Holy Spirit. I thank You that You are with me, that You will never leave me, and that You are drawing me closer to You through this situation so I can experience a more intimate relationship with You. May You receive glory for how I respond to all that Your loving hand has allowed in my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen. 

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/your-daily-prayer/a-prayer-to-keep-it-together-when-your-life-is-falling-apart-your-daily-prayer-august-7-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

9th August, 2017

Good morning :heart:   :heart:  Today’s devotional is here and it’s all about protecting what God has given you!!!

Image result for don't let the devil steal from you

Don’t Let the Devil Steal It

For it is like a man who was about to take a long journey, and he called his servants together and entrusted them with his property…. He who had received one talent also came forward, saying, Master, I knew you to be a harsh and hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you had not winnowed [the grain]. So I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is your own.
    – Matthew 25:14, 24-25

Jesus often gave people illustrations containing life lessons that could be applied to common situations in which most anyone can find themselves at any given time. The -Parable of the Talents is such an illustration. A talent was the type of currency used in Jesus’ day. One talent is said to have been worth more than a thousand dollars. This par¬ticular parable describes a man who gave certain amounts of money to three of his servants with the instruction to invest it.

I find two very interesting points in this story. First, the landowner distributed the money according to each person’s ability. He didn’t try to burden his workers with more than they were capable of handling. The two men to whom he gave the most money invested wisely and doubled their investments. Upon the landowner’s return, they were made full partners in the business. The second thing I realized is that the two with the most ability used it wisely and were richly rewarded. The third man—the one with the least ability—failed.

Think about this. God didn’t ask the third man to invest five talents or even three. He knew this man wasn’t capable of handling such a task. He gave the third servant the least amount of responsibility, and that man still failed. Worse, he tried to justify his failure by blaming the master! But he also said something else—and that’s the secret to understanding this story: I was afraid and hid your talent in the ground (see v. 25).

He didn’t lose the money, but he did nothing with it. And the master responded, You wicked and lazy and idle servant! (v. 26). The spirit of fear had caused the man to do nothing.

Let’s turn that around. The owner said, Then you should have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received what was my own with interest (v. 27). Suppose the man had gone to the bank and invested as the owner suggested. He would never have made as much profit as the other two. And that would have been all right, because all that the owner asked was for him to do what he could—what was reasonably expected of him.

That’s one way the devil snares us. He causes us to compare ourselves with others and see how much money or talents they have. Or he tells us other people are given more opportunities than we will ever have. But God doesn’t ask us to do what someone else does. He asks us to use the gifts and abilities that He has given to us.

I truly believe that God has a plan for each of our lives. A life lived in faith and obedience to God’s Word causes His plan to unfold before our eyes. Clutching what little we have in fear won’t allow us to fulfill God’s plan. In fact, this kind of mindset allows the devil to lie to us and cause us to give up on our dreams and God’s plan for our lives.

Fear only supplies the characteristics of the idle, lazy, and wicked servant. When we listen to the devil, we soon believe we can do nothing. He’ll convince us that everything we attempt will fail. If we listen to God, we will hear the words of the Lord: Well done, you upright (honorable, admirable) and faithful servant! You have been faithful and trustworthy over a little; I will put you in charge of much. Enter into and share the joy (the delight, the blessedness) which your master enjoys (v. 21). It is not how much we accomplish that is important, but it’s being faithful to the ability God has given us that makes the difference.

Loving and caring Father, I don’t know which of those three men I’m the most like in terms of my ability. But I pray that You will make me faithful to fulfill Your plan for my life. In the name of Your Son, Jesus, I thank You for helping me. Thank You, Lord, for helping me keep the enemy from stealing the little or the much You have given me. Amen.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

10th August, 2017

Good morning all. It is said that the Word heals and that’s what today’s devotional is all about. Enjoy:

A Prayer for Those Who Feel Wounded 

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” – Psalm 147:3

Over and over in scripture, God reminds us that He heals. That He alone has the power to restore us, redeem the painful times we walk through, and make all things new again. Yet often, when we find ourselves right in the midst of the battle, or in the heat of hard times; when we’ve felt wounded and hurt, rejected or broken; we may begin to wonder if God Himself really cares.

Don’t doubt for a minute that He sees and knows the pain you feel. He understands what it is to be betrayed. He knows what it is to feel loneliness, rejection, and huge grief. He cares about every moment that you have felt deep loss and hurt. He too was wounded, yet far beyond what we could ever comprehend.

Whatever hardship you’ve faced, your story has a greater purpose. It doesn’t have to end with the wound. Don’t allow the enemy to label you with the struggle you’ve faced, or allow you to get stuck in your pain. For God has far better in store. Keep pressing through the battle. He promises to carry you through, and bring you forth as gold.

7 Promises to Remind You that He Will Heal and Restore:

“…By his wounds you have been healed.” 1 Peter 2:24

“But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.” Job 23:10

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

“…for I am the Lord who heals you.” Exodus 15:26

“Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits — who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.” Psa 103:2-4

“Behold, I am making all things new…” Revelation 21:5

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psa 147:3

Dear God,

We feel wounded, betrayed, and brokenhearted. We wonder sometimes if we can ever fully recover from the deep hurt we feel inside. Thank you that you know what we’ve been through and the struggles we still carry. Help us to forgive. Help us to let go. We know that we can move forward with you in peace and freedom. We pray for those who have hurt us right now, and ask for your power to work mightily within their lives. We leave them in your hands and find our comfort and strength in your spirit.

Thank you that you understand all that we’ve faced, that you see and you care. We ask that when the enemy taunts us with lies and tries to bring up the hurt of the past, you would silence his voice and allow us to walk free. We bring you all the stuff that he would use to try to trap us or stop us – the pain, the past, the mistakes, the struggles. And we lay it at your feet, again. Thank you for your healing, for your grace, for your hope. Thank you that you have set us free and will not waste the pain that we’ve carried. We look forward to the greater good and purpose you will bring through this struggle.

We love you Lord, we need you, we trust you.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/your-daily-prayer/a-prayer-for-those-who-feel-wounded-your-daily-prayer-august-10-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

14th August ,2017

Good morning. It’s a brand new week. May we experience God’s mercies everyday of this week. The devotional is here.

Image result for wisdom

Wisdom is Calling

Wisdom cries aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the markets.
    – Proverbs 1:20

God wants us to use wisdom, and according to today’s scripture, wis¬dom is not difficult to obtain; the Holy Spirit wants to reveal it to us; we simply need to pay attention. For example, have you ever needed to make a decision and had your “head” (your intellectual abilities) try to lead you one way while your heart is leading you another? Have you ever had a situation in which your natural thoughts and feelings seemed to be guiding you in one direction, but something inside of you kept nagging you to go another direction?

Chances are, wisdom is crying out to you. One way to love yourself is to listen to it and obey. Many times, it cries out in your heart that you should or should not do a certain thing—you should eat healthily, you should be kind to other people, you should not spend money you do not have. These are all practical examples of using wisdom in everyday life. When you sense such leadings, the Holy Spirit, who speaks to your heart, is trying to help you make a wise decision, even though it may not be the choice you want to make or it may not seem to make sense in your present circumstances.

The Spirit wars against our flesh, and vice versa (see Gal. 5:17). When we know the wise choice and don’t make it, the reason is often that we are allowing our flesh to lead us and to see if we can get away with unwise decisions—which are also known as “foolishness.” The flesh leads us to foolishness, but God wants us to walk in wisdom and make choices now that we will be happy with later.

Love Yourself Today What is wisdom saying to you today? Are you willing to follow it?

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

15th August, 2017

Good morning ladies. It’s a beautiful Tuesday morning and the devotional is here. :heart:   :heart:

Image result for our perspective in lifeIt’s all About Perspective

Today’s Truth

“This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!”  (Psalm 188:24 NIV)

Friend to Friend

It was just a quick check-up at the doctor’s office…or at least that’s what it was supposed to be. My “to-do-list” resembled a mile-long scroll and several deadlines loomed like thunder clouds ready to burst. But, the appointment would take just a few minutes. Just enough time to catch my breath.

“Good morning Mrs. Jaynes,” the cheery receptionist greeted. “May I see your insurance card please?”

We went through the regular check-in procedure and then I settled in a comfy chair with a magazine that I would not have normally read. I knew I wouldn’t have time to read a full-length article…since this was just a quick visit. My, oh my, the trouble those Hollywood folks get into.

Ten minutes turned into fifteen turned into twenty turned into thirty. My to-do list began growing heavier and heavier in my mind.

“Excuse me,” I interrupted the receptionist. “My appointment was thirty minutes ago. Did they forget me?”

“I’m so sorry,” she reassured me. “I’ll check on it right away.”

In just a few moments, a nurse appeared at the door. “Mrs. Jaynes, come right this way.”

My second stop was into a stark treatment room with more magazines. “Oh well, let’s see what Brittany did last year,” I mumbled to myself. At least I was in the room. That was good.

The clock continued ticking. With each passing minute my frustration grew. “I’m glad he’s not checking my blood pressure,” I grumbled to no one in particular.

Fifty minutes after I had walked into the office for my quick 5-minute check-up, the doctor walked into my room. My to-do list was magnified in my mind. My time was important too, you know. I didn’t have time to sit around and read out-dated gossip magazines!

The doctor was actually a friend of mine, but I was feeling less than friendly. Ice Queen is a description that comes to mind when I think of my probable appearance.

“Hi Sharon,” he began. “I’m sorry you have had to wait so long. I have been with a patient and had to tell her that she has terminal cancer. It took longer than I thought.”

Suddenly, my icy countenance began to melt into a puddle on the shiny tile floor and tears pooled in my eyes.I was upset about not checking insignificant frivolous errands off my to-do list, and the woman in the next room was pondering how she was going to spend her last days on earth. I envisioned her walking to her car and coming up with a brand new to-do list for her day.

#1 Live well

#2 Love well

Yes, I did have a check-up that day. God was the doctor and He looked into my heart to see that my perspective on life needed surgery. What’s really important? My silly list of errands? No. What should be at the top of my to-do list today and every day is:

#1 Live well.

#2 Love well.

Celebrate each day as an incredible gift from God. How will you do that today?

Let’s Pray

Dear God, Thank You for another day of life. Sometimes I can get so caught up in my silly little lists that I lose perspective of the true meaning of life. Help me to live my days glorifying You with every breath I take and step I make.
    In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

What is at the top of your to do list today?

Consider making a new to do list and including what you think God would have you do today.

Wouldn’t it be fun to see what your sisters are scheduled to do today?

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-august-15-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

17th August, 2017

Good morning. Hope you had a great day. Today’s devotional is here.

Image result for ready to be interrupted

Be Ready to Be Interrupted

I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd risks and lays down His [own] life for the sheep.
    – John 10:11

The more I study the men and women in the Bible whom we consider to be “great,” the more I see that they all made huge sacrifices and there was nothing convenient about what God asked them to do.

Abraham had to leave his country, his relatives, and his home and go to a place God would not even tell him about until he went there. Joseph saved a nation from starvation, but not before he was violently removed from his comfortable home and put in an inconvenient place for many years. Esther saved the Jews from destruction, but God certainly interrupted her plan in order for her to do so.

The list of individuals who entered into sacrificial obedience could go on and on. The Bible calls them people “of whom the world was not worthy” (see Hebrews 11:38). These people we read about were inconvenienced so that someone else’s life could be easier. Jesus died so we could have life and have it abundantly. Soldiers die so that civilians can remain safe at home. Fathers go to work so their families can have nice lives, and mothers go through the pain of childbirth to bring another life into the world. It seems quite obvious that someone usually has to experience pain or inconvenience for anyone to gain anything.

If you make the decision that you don’t mind inconvenience or interruption, then God can use you. You can make a difference in the world. But if you remain addicted to your own comfort, God will have to pass you by for someone who is more willing to endure the hard things in life in order to do God’s will.

Trust in Him: Think about a situation in which God is asking you to do some things you would rather not do—stay in a situation, leave a situation, spend time with someone you don’t get along with . . . Are you willing to trust the “interruption” from God in order to do His will?

Culled http://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/Devotional.aspx

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

18th August, 2017

Good morning all. It’s Friyay!!! Hope you have plans for the weekend, unlike some people I know. :whistle:   :whistle: The devotional for today is here.

Image result for heeding God's warning

Heed Those Warnings

Today’s Truth

but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed (James 1:14)

Friend to Friend

I love spinach. I love it in salads – especially with grilled salmon, goat cheese and pine nuts. I love it on a turkey sandwich with whole grain bread, a thick, juicy slice of a sun-ripened tomato and sharp cheddar cheese. I love spinach sautéed with EVOO, garlic and a pinch of sea salt. Straight up, I guess I’m just a spinach-kind-of-girl. Anyone with me?

Now that we’re clear on my love for this wonderful, dark green leafy veggie, imagine my disappointment when I was told by the evening news that I had to throw out the two bags of fresh spinach in my refrigerator! A while back there had been an e-coli outbreak that was linked back to some manufacturing plants in California that process fresh-bagged spinach. Several states across America reported multiple cases of e-coli poisoning. Many hundreds became sick and one person even died. It was serious.

Initially, I stood in my kitchen for several minutes wanting to ignore the warnings. I was tempted to resist the news reports as being valid. I thought to myself, I’m sure MY bags of spinach are just fine… I hate to waste all of that money…Spinach is good for me…this is ridiculous!

But, alas…I threw out my spinach. I heeded the warning. The risks weren’t worth the rewards.

That spinach dilemma caused me to think about some spiritual issues. There have been many times in my life where I’ve sensed a warning in my soul that was prompted by the Holy Spirit. Each time I’m faced with such a warning, I’m also faced with an opportunity to choose my response to it. You are too.

God’s favor was upon Sampson from the time he was born. He was given exceptional physical strength that was purposed for God’s plan and glory. Over the years, Sampson grew somewhat feisty and complacent. Much to his detriment, he chose to go his own way and lean on his own strength by using his God-given gifts for his own selfish purposes and amusement.

The Bible shows that Sampson was warned several times about the deceitfulness of his betraying wife, yet he failed to heed the warnings. The deceptive ways of Delilahwere just as toxic as the deadliest of e-coli strains… but time after time, Sampson ignored the warnings and chose his own way over God’s way. The results were painful, humiliating and, ultimately, fatal. Delilah’s betrayal caused Sampson to be taken prisoner and beaten. His strength, along with his dignity, was stripped away from him.

After some very nasty torture by the Philistines, Sampson, in his last moments prior to death, remembered his need for God. He cried out to the Lord and was instantly helped and redeemed. God heard Sampson’s repentant heart. He hears ours too.

Did you know that the New Testament book of Hebrews, chapter 11, lists Sampson in the hall of faith? I was amazed and encouraged to see this. What a beautiful display of the truth that now matter what temptations we have given in to, no matter what warnings we have failed to heed and no matter what compromises we may have succumb too; it’s never too late to turn back to God.  

During the e-coli spinach scare I had to wait a few weeks to have my next spinach salad. I heeded the warnings because the risks weren’t worth the gain. Is there any way you need to heed a warning or prompting of the Holy Spirit today?

Let’s Pray

Holy Lord, Not one of us is above temptation. Please help me to recognize and heed the warnings You whisper to my soul. Grant me the courage and strength to run from temptation and resist the enemy’s attempts of deception in my life. Thanks for Your Word that guides each of us when directions seem unclear.
    In Jesus’ Name I pray,
    Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Is there something you are trying to hold on to that God has been nudging you to release? Obey Him today and trusting that HIS plan for you is even better than your plan for you.

Is there a temptation in your life that you are flirting with? If so, run the opposite direction – heed the warnings of the Holy Spirit in your heart – and pray that God would strengthen you in your areas of weakness.

Have you given in to temptation? Do you need to confess it right now? God is waiting with arms open wide.

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

21st August, 2017

Hello  :hi:   :hi:   :hi:  Hope you had a refreshing weekend and ready to take on the world this week. While you do that, let this devotional guide you.

Image result for bridges not walls

Build Bridges, Not Fences

“And we have this command from him: The one who loves God must also love his brother and sister.” 1 John 4:21 (CSB)

“Look, if this is going to be yet another call telling me I’m not obeying God, then I’m just going to politely hang up now, OK?”

The voice on the other end of the line was that of a new friend from church. She and her husband had just prayerfully opted to put their two formerly homeschooled elementary kids in the neighborhood public school. That morning — the first day of school — she had already fielded two calls from other women questioning her family’s decision.

I had not called to give her a lecture. Not at all. Since my home was across the street from the kids’ new school, I’d called suggesting she might want to put me down as an emergency contact in case one of them got sick or injured and she was unable to be reached.

“Also,” I continued, “I can see both of your kids out playing at recess right now on the monkey bars. They look like they are having a ball. I thought hearing that might set your mind at ease.”

She apologized for her initial response, then broke down and cried.

Schooling choices can divide. They can force friends to the opposite sides of the awful “mommy wars.” How we feed our infants. What we feed our toddlers. If we’re a stay-at-home parent, a work-from-home mom or one who’s employed outside the home. It doesn’t end there. There are rifts that segregate the married women from the singles. The traditional service church attenders from those who prefer a concert-like worship experience. The organic-only eaters from the fast food brood.

Different decisions can lead to many divisions.

Often in my adult years, I’ve felt on the outside due to some shifting choices my husband and I made regarding our family. We homeschooled for 17 years. Then our youngest went to a public high school while his older brother finished up homeschooling. Being on both sides of the pencil-lined fence at once taught me the need to grant grace. Changing my employment status from stay-at-home mom to work-from-home mom also stretched my understanding of what it means to love others practically. The criticism and — worse yet — the deafening silence and cold-shoulder treatment was painful when I changed something about our lifestyle to the displeasure of other Christian friends.

Today’s key verse gives us a cautionary directive from God about how Christ-followers are to treat each other, And we have this command from him: The one who loves God must also love his brother and sister” (1 John 4:21).

What does it look like to love a fellow Christian who makes a life choice (that isn’t a sin issue) that’s different from yours? Well, I know what it doesn’t look like. It doesn’t look like caustic and critical comments or behind-the-back gossip. It doesn’t exclude someone now that they’ve changed where they — or their kids — spend their daytime hours. And it certainly doesn’t include making cloaked comments on social media designed to make someone else feel left out or somehow less-than.

If we claim to love God, we must also love each other. Will we dare to use our differences as a way to show the watching world that Christians build bridges across potential divides? That we don’t all have to reach the same conclusions on similar issues because God can lead us in different directions? That we can have unity without having to be carbon copies of each other?

Life — especially family life — is a voyage packed with choices. Prayerfully supporting a friend’s choice is a way to show unconditional love. While connections with other women in your exact life situation can be crucial for idea gathering, perspective and empathy, don’t narrow your choice of friends down to only those who live the same life you do.

Pick up the phone. Reach out. Build loving bridges, not prickly fences. You’ll obey God’s command — and reflect His love — when you do.

Father, teach me to genuinely love and practically support others whose lives do not look exactly like mine. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Hebrews 12:14, “Pursue peace with everyone, and holiness — without it no one will see the Lord.” (CSB)

Romans 14:13, “Therefore, let us no longer criticize one another. Instead decide never to put a stumbling block or pitfall in your brother’s way.” (HCSB)

Culled from http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devo/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

22nd August, 2017

Hello all. How’s the day going? Today’s devotional is here.

Image result for follow peace

A Powerful Compass

And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]… 
    – Colossians 3:15

People who do things they don’t have peace about have miserable lives and don’t succeed at anything. If you are doing something, like watching television, and you suddenly lose your peace about what you are doing, you have heard from God. He is saying to you, “Turn it off. Go the other way.” If you lose your peace when you say something unkind, God is speaking to you. It will save you a lot of trouble if you will stop talking or apologize right away.

God leads His people through peace. Anytime you lose your peace you are hearing from God. There is nothing more powerful than the compass of peace in your heart. Follow after it. Follow peace!

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 300 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.