Sharing spiritual support and prayers!

Daily Meditation

334 replies, 13 voices Last updated by  Oluwakemi 18 hours, 7 minutes ago
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 335 total)
  • Author

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

19th June, 2017

Good morning all. Hope our Daddies had a nice day yesterday, being Father’s Day. Here’s the devotional for today. :flasher:   :flasher:

Image result for surrender

Choose to Surrender

For those whom He foreknew . . . He also destined from the beginning [foreordaining them] to be molded into the image of his Son . . .
    —Romans 8:29

According to the verse for today, one of God’s goals in our lives is to make us become like Jesus. He wants us to continue to become more like Jesus in our thoughts, in our words, in the way we treat other people, in our personal lives, and in our actions. Becoming like Jesus does not happen overnight; it’s a process we have to choose to embrace.

Romans 12:1 says I appeal to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication… This means we have to make a deliberate decision to give ourselves to God. God has given us a free will, and the only way we will ever belong to Him completely is to give ourselves freely to Him. He will never force us to love Him or serve Him. He will speak to us, lead us, guide us, and prompt us, but He will always leave the decision to surrender up to us.

God created human beings, not robots, and He will not try to program us to behave a certain way because He has given us the freedom to make our own choices—and He wants us to choose Him. He wants us to willingly put our lives before Him every day and say, “God, Your will be done, not mine.” That short, simple prayer is extremely powerful when we really mean it, and it represents the kind of full surrender God requires.

If God has been speaking to you or dealing with you about anything, I encourage you not to put off surrendering it any longer. Choose to obey His voice and surrender today. Ask Him to be your Strength and remember that through Him you can do all things.

cc: @nicole @lala @bosa @bibi @peace @uloma @ketty

Culled from http://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/Devotional.aspx

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

20th June, 2017

Lovely people, good day. Hope you are doing great. It’s one rainy day at my end, literally raining cat and dog without let. Today’s devotional is here and it talks about something close to all our hearts…La famile ;-)

Image result for family

When Family Gets Messy

Today’s Truth

“You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.” (Genesis 45:5; 50:20).

Friend to Friend

If ever there is a place to learn about forgiveness…to practice forgiveness…to struggle with forgiveness…it is in the family. Makes me tired just thinking about it. And interestingly, it is in the context of family where the word forgiveness first shows up in the Bible.

Let’s dig into Scripture today. Come on. You can do it.

In the book of Genesis, we meet a young man named Joseph—the eleventh of twelve brothers, and favorite son of Jacob. He is most famously known for his elaborate coat of many colors. Young Joseph had several prophetic dreams involving his brothers and father one day bowing down to him. Rather than keep that bit of information to himself, he shared it with his already jealous siblings. When he was seventeen, his brothers had enough of this rather bratty brother.

So one day, when Joseph went out to the fields to check on them, they schemed to throw him in a well, shred his fancy coat, and tell Jacob his favorite son had been killed by a wild animal. Just after they had tossed him in the pit, an Egyptian caravan came passing by. Then they hatched another plan; rather than leave Joseph to die, they sold him into slavery and pocketed a bit of money in the process.

Joseph served as a slave in the home of a high-ranking official named Potiphar. While there, he was falsely accused of sexually assaulting Potiphar’s wife and thrown into prison. (And you thought you were having a bad day.)

During his prison stay, he interpreted dreams for some of his fellow inmates and God blessed him. One day the Pharaoh of Egypt had a disturbing dream that no one could interpret. The Pharaoh’s cupbearer, who had been in prison with Joseph, told the King about Joseph’s gift of interpretation.

Joseph interpreted the Pharaoh’s dream, and predicted seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine. The Pharaoh was so enamored with Joseph’s God-given wisdom that he appointed him governor of Egypt, second only to the Pharaoh himself.

During the famine, who should show up in Egypt looking for food but Joseph’s conniving brothers? They were terrified when the governor revealed that he was their long lost brother. “I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt!” There were tears all around. Don’t you know they were terrified? What would Joseph do? What would you do?

This was Joseph’s response to the injustice inflicted by his brothers: “And now, do not be distressed, and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you…You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.” (Gen. 45:5; 50:20).

Joseph did not say, “Oh, that’s OK. Don’t worry out it.” No, he called the betrayal what it was—evil against him that resulted in thirteen years of slavery. At the same time, he chose to forgive the wrong done to him, and allow God’s grace to flow through him. He opened the door for reconciliation and entrusted the matter of justice to God.

Thus ends the first book of the Bible: Genesis. We close out the epic narrative with a portrait of forgiveness that continues throughout the entire Bible. The word forgive walks out on the stage as a leading character for the entirety of the Scriptures and it began with the words of Jacob—an elderly father making a request to his wronged son.

This is what you are to say to Joseph: “I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and wrongs they committed in treating you so badly. Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father.” When their message came to him, Joseph wept. (Gen. 50:17)

Forgiveness rewrites the ending to your story. Not only does it grease the pain to make letting go of the past offenses easier, it also releases the aroma of hope that helps us reach out to the possibilities for the future.

Forgiveness is a continuous theme throughout Scripture and it all begins with a very mixed up family—how appropriate. I’m sort of glad. That gives me great comfort. I hope it does for you.

Let’s Pray

Heavenly Father, family is so messy. We hurt each other and love each other, sometimes at the same time. Help me to forgive quickly. Help me to allow every situation to make me better and not become bitter. Help me to trust in Your sovereignty in every situation.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Glance back at today’s devotion. How many ways do you see that Joseph was betrayed?

Did he have a lot to forgive in his family?

Read these verses again: “And now, do not be distressed, and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you…You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.” (Gen. 45:5; 50:20).

How do these verses help you see your hurt through the lens of God’s sovereignty?

Is there someone you need to forgive today?

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

21st June, 2017

Hello!!! Just a simple reminder today, cast all your burdens upon God. Worry less, pray more. Let the joy of the Lord steal your soul and wrinkles will have no place on your face. The devotional is below. Enjoy. ;-)   ;-)

Keep Your Peace

And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ’s] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always].
    —Colossians 3:15

When you do feel you need to say no, you don’t have to give a reason why. So often people want us to justify our decisions, and we really don’t need to do that. I try to be led by God’s Spirit—or another way of saying it is I try to be led by my heart—and sometimes I don’t even fully understand why I don’t feel something isn’t right for me.

But I have learned if I do feel that way, I am not going to go against my own conscience in order to have everyone be happy with me. I often say, “I just don’t have peace about it,” or “I don’t feel right about it,” or even a plain old “I don’t want to” is sufficient.

There is nothing wrong with giving a reason if you have one, but I think we go overboard trying to explain ourselves sometimes. Follow your heart and keep your peace. Say no when you need to and yes when you should.

Lord, make me more sensitive to the peace that comes when You are ruling in my heart. May I be quick to follow Your peace and leading in everything I do. Amen.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

22nd June, 2017

Good morning lovely people. Today’s devotional is here…and most likely, we have all been in this place at one time or the other. And it is not just about physical beauty.

A Quest for Beauty

“You are altogether beautiful…and there is no blemish in you.” —Song of Solomon 4:7 (NAS)

While shopping at an estate sale with my sister, I noticed a large gilded mirror with a cluster of flowers at the top. It was beyond beautiful, and the price had been unbelievably slashed.

“I think you should get it for your bathroom,” Rebekkah said. “You’ve needed one for ages.”

That was before the accident, I thought, noticing my larger-than-life reflection. My outfit showed off my ninety-two-pound weight loss, but did I dare look at my face? I glanced upward, first taking note of my new haircut, my tortoiseshell eyeglasses, and finally the blue gray bulge where the tumor had returned.

Then the strangest thing happened. Instead of the unsightly blemish, I saw the fingerprint of God. His voice spoke to my heart: When you thought I had forgotten you, I was protecting you. I’ve been holding your hand every minute.

Rebekkah reached for my hand. “I know this year has been hard,” she said, “but do you see the person you’ve become because of it? Your heart is bigger than ever.” She wiped the tear that had dripped onto her chin. “You notice the pain that others are going through. It’s like your heart has eyes.”

Now when I look in that mirror, I have a ritual. Instead of anger and anxiety, my heart is filled with praise. In heaven, I’ll have a perfect face. But until then, I will thank God every moment.

My quest for beauty has led me to You, Lord. Thank You.

Digging Deeper: Psalm 139:14, Ecclesiastes 3:11, Ephesians 2:10

Culled from https://www.guideposts.org/faith-and-prayer/daily-devotions/devotions-for-women/a-quest-for-beauty

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

23rd June, 2017

Hello all. Hope you are doing great today. Welcome to our new members, Bomi @smiley and Wumi @wumigunner. Here’s the devotional for today.

Image result for When your hearts convicts you

When Your Mind Convicts You

Today’s Truth

For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace (Romans 6:14, NIV).

Friend to Friend

I pulled my steaming hot coffee close and stared into the eyes of my five-year old son. “Do you feel like you’ve been doing a bad job, Son?”

For months, he’d been saying, “I am sorry. I am sorry I spilled milk. I am sorry I didn’t put my book bag in the closet.” Everything was I am sorry. It was his desperation cry: “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry … ”

Somewhere along the line, I knew I had gone wrong. Teaching grace to a toddler is like walking a tightrope above Mt. Kilimanjaro. Fall left, and the kid will be eating dinner foot-to-mouth like a native animal. Fall right, and he’ll live his life tiptoeing on legalism’s thin ice.

Envisioning the cracks all around him and his foot sinking under, I forked a huge chunk of cinnamon toast in my mouth then gulped large amounts of coffee.

I waited for his reply. “I didn’t think I was doing a bad job, Mommy, but I do now.”

I nearly spray-tanned coffee all over him.

Oh my goodness, now I’ve really done it! I’m the worst mom ever. I can’t even minister well. I stink. He’ll never know Jesus. I’ve ruined everything.

In panic, I spent the next 20 minutes overcompensating, “I love you so much. Jesus loves you. God can’t stop loving you. Do you know what grace is? I am proud of you. I always want to be with you.”

The kid just tried to color. I don’t blame him. When fear tries to fix people, they hide.

I dropped him at school and waved goodbye, but anxiety turned my car to the side of the road and left me crying.

God, he’ll never know grace.

God prompted my heart: “Kelly, do you?”

My mind rushed ahead to say, “Well, yes, God, of course I do.” Fear spoke differently…

“You’re not really that great of a mother.
    They don’t think highly of you.”

“Your kids will hate you one day.
    They think you lie.”

“You don’t act godly enough.
    People see you make mistakes.”

“You aren’t patient and kind.
    You hurt others.”

I cried like my son: I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry, God.

My own desperation cry sounded: “God, I must embarrass you.”

“For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace” (Romans 6:14).

Could it be? I can move to a better place – a place called grace?

Could it be that you can move to a better place, too?

To the place where tightropes are not needed. The place where love overcomes. The place where grace conquers.

Something hit me between the eyes, I don’t have to live in fear, and I can live knowing God is near. Rather than walking on a rope, I can look up the heights of my Mt. Kilimanjaro and say, “My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:2).

I can believe He will help.

Grace is a harness; it never lets us fall. It holds us close to God’s love. It keeps daughters safe. It tells fear “Bye-bye.” It welcomes bravery and confidence.

And, most of all, for me, it lets me run right up to my son, after school, arms-wide-open to love him as I’ve been loved. It lets me whisper through my actions, “I love you just the way you are.”

And, somehow, like a gift sent from heaven, I believe God loves me that way, too.

Let’s Pray

Dear Lord, thank You that You love me always. Thank You that, in You, I am righteous, holy and blameless. Thank You that nothing can separate me from Your love. Help me to stand under the shower of all Your spiritual riches in Christ Jesus. May I receive the fullness of who You are and then pour it out onto all I encounter.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn 

How do you critique and condemn yourself through the day?

What might it look like to apply a “space for grace” in your life? How might you practically do this?

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

26th June, 2017

Good morning all. Here’s the devotional for today. :yes:   :yes:

Image result for Christ

Nothing But Christ

For I resolved to know nothing (to be acquainted with nothing, to make a display of the knowledge of nothing, and to be conscious of nothing) among you except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified. And I was in (passed into a state of) weakness and fear (dread) and great trembling [after I had come] among you. And my language and my message were not set forth in persuasive (enticing and plausible) words of wisdom, but they were in demonstration of the [Holy] Spirit and power.
    —1 Corinthians 2:2-4

I’ve tried to imagine what it would have been like to go to Corinth or other Greek cities at the time of Paul and try to speak to those wise, brilliant thinkers. After studying every parchment given to me, and gaining knowledge of all their arguments, I would have prayed for God to help me overcome their objections.

We don’t know what Paul did, but his answer is astounding. Instead of going after them with great reasoning and sharp logic, he went in exactly the opposite direction. He stayed in Corinth a year and a half, and many came to Christ because of him. Later, when he wrote 1 Corinthians, he said, “For I resolved to know nothing . . . among you except Jesus Christ (the Messiah) and Him crucified” (2:2). That’s amazing. If any man had the ability to reason with those Greeks and could show them the fallacies of their logic, surely that man was Paul. But, being led by the Holy Spirit, he chose a defenseless presentation—to let God speak through him and touch the hearts of the people.

Now, centuries later, I appreciate his approach—although I didn’t always feel this way. For a long time I wanted to explain and reason out everything, but when that didn’t work, I ended up feeling miserable.

I’ve always been curious, always wanted to know, and always wanted to figure out the answer. Then God began to work in my life. He showed me that my constant drive to figure it out caused me confusion and prevented me from receiving many of the things He wanted me to have. He said, You must lay aside carnal reasoning if you expect to have discernment.

I didn’t like loose ends, so I felt more secure when I figured things out. I wanted to be in control of every detail of every situation. When I didn’t understand or was unable to figure things out, I felt out of control. And that was frightening to me. Something was wrong—I was troubled and had no peace of mind. Sometimes, frustrated and exhausted, I would just give up.

It was a long battle for me because I finally admitted something to myself (God knew it all along): I was addicted to reasoning. It was more than a tendency or desire to figure out things. It was a compulsion. I had to have answers—and had to have them right now. When God was finally able to convince me of my addiction, I was able to give it up.

It wasn’t easy. Like people who withdraw from drugs or alcohol, I had withdrawal symptoms. I felt lost. Frightened. Alone. I had always depended on my ability to figure things out. Now, like Paul, I had to depend on God.

Too many people assume that relying only on God is something we do easily and naturally. It didn’t work that way with me. But God was gracious and patient with me. It was as if He’d whisper, You’re not there yet, Joyce, but you’re making progress. It’s uncomfortable because you’re learning a new way to live.

God wants us to be victorious—and I knew that all along. Now I walk in greater victory than ever before—and I no longer try to reason out everything before I act.

Heavenly Father, thank You for being so patient with me and people like me who feel we must have all the answers before we can act or trust. In the name of Jesus, help me to simply trust in You, knowing that You will give me what is best for my life. Amen.

cc: @nicole @lala @bosa @bibi @peace @uloma @ketty  @pacy @wumigunner @smiley

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

27th June, 2017

Hello lovelies. It’s still the holidays but the devotional cannot wait. God’s Word is the light unto our feet. Today’s devotional is here.

Image result for my past

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1 (NIV)

Years ago, I had a small pain on the bottom of my foot. Over time it became more painful, causing me to walk with a limp. Finally, I couldn’t take it any longer and made a doctor’s appointment.

The doctor quickly diagnosed me with a plantar wart. Unfortunately, it was on the pad of my foot, so the doctor said he couldn’t remove it, as the scar would be just as painful. The only solution was a slow removal by repeatedly applying a professional grade chemical. For months.

During that time, I took the maximum amounts of painkiller and limped everywhere.

Finally, the wart and pain went away. But I still limped.

I limped for at least a month after there was no pain. And each time I’d catch myself limping, I’d have to force myself to walk normally. I conditioned my mind to trust there was no pain, and eventually I was able to walk limp-free.

That experience taught me the power of the mind to keep you in bondage long after you’ve been set free. Although my experience was physical, I’ve also experienced feeling in bondage to a behavior.

That’s how I used to feel about my schedule.

For so long I felt powerless to do anything about the amount of work I had to do. In some ways, I felt like a slave to my to-do list.

That wasn’t true, but I found myself resentful of other people and their needs. I even got annoyed at the dentist as I took my kids to a checkup. As if they were the reason my life was a train-wreck!

It took years for the Lord to deal with my bondage to an over-busy life. Every time I’d make a change and lighten my schedule, it would feel unnatural. So I’d retreat back to what felt normal, and that was an over-stuffed schedule.

Our key verse today (Galatians 5:1) makes it clear we are not to be bound to anything or anyone who keeps us from the freedom we have in Christ: “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”

It’s easy to slip into habits we feel powerless to change. Whether it’s being too busy, gossip, over-eating, poor financial stewardship or any other harmful habit, God desires to free us from its ability to control us. He wants us to see we aren’t victims. With His help, we can choose new habits and not be controlled by our past.

We aren’t the only ones who have needed this message. After God set the Israelites free from Egyptian slavery, He set guidelines in place to help reshape their thinking and teach them how to be free.

They needed to shift their allegiance from a harsh earthly master to a loving heavenly Father. So among other things, God requested the people not work one day a week. How kind of God to build rest into the lives of people who had only known work. But it wasn’t just for the physical rest: God wanted His people to trust Him.

Their old master worked them until they dropped, but God wanted them to know their future wouldn’t be like their past. Although they were slaves before, they weren’t slaves now.

God wants the same for us. What controlled us in the past doesn’t have to control us in the future.

This means I’m not a slave to my schedule. I might have some non-negotiable responsibilities, but I do have some choices. I don’t have to fill every waking moment with something to do.

By choice, we all serve someone or something. But as we shift our allegiance to God, the chains to other masters fall off.

Today, He is still reshaping our thinking from bound by “chains” to set free.

God wants to whisper hope into every weary heart that tomorrow doesn’t have to be like yesterday. Yesterday we might have been burdened by others’ expectations or by our own choices, but today we can walk in the freedom of a new life in Jesus.

Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for opening my eyes to what has held me captive from obeying You fully. I want to trust You more and walk in Your freedom. Help my unbelief. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Isaiah 61:1, “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, …” (NIV)

Jonah 2:8, “Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.” (ESV)

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/encouragement/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

28th June, 2017

Hello lovely people. It’s officially first day of work this week. How’s it going at your end? Hope, it’s all good. Today’s devotional is here.

Changing our Body Trash Talk to Temple Talk

“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” 1 Corinthians 6:19a (NIV)

Devotion Graphic

Cindy is a fat red cow.”

These six words would define me for two decades.

Scrawled on the chipped bathroom door of the girls’ restroom at my high school, these words attached to me like a sticky name tag. “Hello, my name is Cindy. I’m a fat red cow.”

I didn’t realize girls would snicker about it for a time, and then forget, or that a janitor would scrape the words off and paint over them. If only he could have painted over my memory, too.

I didn’t know the truth yet, that God calls me something very different — His daughter, the apple of His eye, a princess of great worth. Instead I allowed a bathroom stall scrawl to have tremendous power over my life.

Whenever I thought about my body or my looks, I flashed back to those ugly etchings. A fat red cow … yep, that’s me. I believed my body was shabby, too big, too much, yet not enough.

Eating disorders and substance abuse issues soon followed. I became promiscuous, throwing my body away like pearls before many swine. You name it, I tried it. I’d do nearly anything to numb the sting of those wounding words.

Sadly, years later, even after I surrendered my life to Jesus, I struggled with a poor body image. Here I was, a Jesus-loving girl, telling anyone who’d listen how He set me free from addiction. But I couldn’t get past those sharp words that cut my teenage heart so deeply.

Eventually I began to realize that this lousy body talk was really something else: terrible temple talk.

Freedom came when I finally believed the truth the apostle Paul taught the Corinthians: My body is a temple carrying the very Spirit of God.

Paul was very intentional when he used the word “temple” in 1 Corinthians 6:19. Temples were everywhere in Corinth. The early church members would have been as familiar with temples as we are with skyscrapers. Except this time, Paul was saying something different about temples — shockingly different.

“Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?” (1 Corinthians 6:19a)

The recipients of Paul’s letter would have instantly imagined what a temple looked like: domed ceilings, glossy columns, exquisite woodwork overlaid with gold and silver. Fancy. Elegant. Important.

Those words must have blown their minds. The Corinthian church had bought into their city’s slogan: “Food for the body, and the body for the food.” They had new hearts but still practiced self-gratification. Drinking to excess and gluttony were A-OK. Using and abusing your body was no big deal. It didn’t affect your soul, or so they thought.

Now Paul was telling them their bodies were temples — sacred places, where the Holy Spirit of God resided? Wow!

The same is true for you, me and Christ followers everywhere. Yes, you!

Whether you feel like a temple or not, it is T R U T H. In Christ, when you ask for forgiveness, you become a clean, pure temple — no matter what impure, unimaginable things you’ve done. Because of Jesus’ death on the cross and His mighty resurrection, we can rip down the trash-filled thoughts from our past and redecorate our mind with God’s truth.

That said, how is your temple talk? If your self-dialogue were broadcast, would it be trash-talk or truth?

Sweet friend, let’s start talking about our bodies — God’s sacred temples — in a whole new way. They are more precious and costly than the most awe-inspiring mansion or latest HGTV Dream Home. Our bodies — no matter the size, age or agility — are sacred, good and holy. Our temples have infinite value, and God is incredibly interested in what we do with them, and how we treasure them.

It’s time we ask God to give us brand-new T3 — Truth-filled Temple Talk.

Dear God, I acknowledge You as my Creator and Maker. Forgive me for the times I fuss and fret about my outside appearance. How it must grieve Your heart when I focus on my flaws and faults. Give me eyes to see myself as You see me. Teach me Your truth about my body and worth. May my beliefs and behaviors be based on Your Word and not on the world’s messages. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Psalm 139:14, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” (NIV)

cc: @nicole @lala @bosa @bibi @peace @uloma @ketty  @pacy @wumigunner @smiley

Culled from http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devo/

Bos
    Participant
    @Bosa

Amen

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

29th June, 2017

Good morning :heart:   :heart:  The Devotional is here:

Power from Heaven

Image result for power from heaven

But you shall receive power (ability, efficiency, and might) when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem and all Judea and Samaria and to the ends (the very bounds) of the earth. 
    —Acts 1:8

It is possible to fill a glass with water without filling it to full capacity. Likewise, when you are born again you have the Holy Spirit in you, but you may not yet be totally filled with the Spirit. Many Christians are very busy doing things for God but don’t have enough power in their lives to be what God wants us to be.

Going through the motions and following religious formulas is a waste of time. You must have the revelation that Jesus is alive within you and allow Him to change you and make you a new creature in Christ. Don’t tuck God away for emergencies and Sunday mornings. Allow Him to work freely in every area of your life through the power of the Holy Spirit.

cc: @nicole @lala @bosa @bibi @peace @uloma @ketty  @pacy @wumigunner @smiley

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

3rd July, 2017

Good day lovely people. Welcome to a new month here where God is set to do wondrous things. #Olowogbogboroisatwork.

Image result for provision from God

But my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

When I was pregnant with Stella, we decided to turn our playroom into a bedroom for Adelaide and her new baby sister to share. Adelaide and I had fun browsing catalogs and searching the Internet for ideas. In time, the room was pretty much transformed according to her specifications.

She got a new bedspread, pink with roses, and a bedside table with matching lamp. A wonderful carpenter built lots of new cabinetry that would become her closet, dresser, and bookshelf. The only problem when he delivered and set it was that the white cabinets looked bare.

She needed some knobs and drawer-pulls. Adelaide found some pink crystal butterflies from Pottery Barn Kids that were adorable, perfect, and way out of my budget.

I explained we just couldn’t get those right now. We had to save money for the new baby. She was angelically good about this, which made me want to get them for her even more, but I just didn’t feel I could. We both decided to be content without them.

About a week later, I got a writing assignment I was not expecting. Guess what it paid? The exact amount of the butterflies. I told Adelaide we could get them now, that I believed God had provided the money.

When she opened the box and examined the butterflies, she squealed as though they were pink diamonds. She clutched me around the neck, and I expected her to say, “Thank you, Mommy!” But her thoughts went in a different direction.

“That was so sweet of God, wasn’t it Mommy? To get me these butterflies?” Now every time I pass that room, I’m reminded of His sweetness, and how He truly provides for our every need.

Faith step: Is there something your heart desires today? Trust the Lord to provide everything you need in Jesus.

Culled from https://www.guideposts.org/faith-and-prayer/daily-devotions/devotions-for-women/daily-devotion-god-will-supply-your-needs

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

4th June, 2017

Good morning lovely people. Today’s devotional is ready.

Image result for loving confrontation

Confrontation Can Be Loving

If your brother wrongs you, go and show him his fault, between you and him privately. If he listens to you, you have won back your brother. 
    —Matthew 18:15

When Dave and I got married, I was a nightmare to get along with. I just wanted to stay in control because I thought that was the only way I could keep from being hurt. Plus I have a pretty aggressive personality to begin with, so that combined with a lot of dysfunction in my background did not make me a very nice woman.

Dave, on the other hand, is a real peace-lover and very easy to get along with. For a lot of years, he went about being happy and didn’t really say too much to me while I acted badly. I believe God gave him extra patience with me because He knew the hurt I had in my life. Sometimes God calls us to put up with some things for a while, while we are praying and waiting on Him. To be honest, if Dave had confronted me in the first month we were married I would have just left him because I didn’t know any better. So there was a purpose in God not asking him to confront me right away. But you need to confront when God tells you to.

After a few years, God showed Dave it was time to confront me. Dave explained to me, “God has dealt with me that I can no longer let you get by with talking to me the way you do and acting the way you do. You’re not going to get everything your way, and things must change.” And they did. It took time, but little by little, I changed.

I was very angry when Dave confronted me. But by then I was loved by Jesus enough and I knew enough of His Word to know that Dave was right—I knew that my behavior was wrong—but if he would have never confronted me, even though I knew that it was wrong, I don’t know if I would have ever changed. So sometimes you are not doing somebody else a favor by not confronting them. It was the right thing for Dave to do for me. And even though I didn’t like it and I got mad, Dave was right to listen to God. And we are doing the work we do today because of it.

Trust in Him: Confrontation is usually not easy for the one doing the confronting, or the one being confronted, but it is an important part of spiritual growth. Follow God’s lead and confront when He shows you it is time, and do it in love!

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

5th July, 2017

Good morning!! It’s a cold day but a fantastic one to reiterate just how mindful God is of us and everything that concerns us.

Image result for prayer for a miracle

She Prayed for a Financial Miracle

It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22–23 (KJV)

The above passage is what formally ushered me into the church. I grew up Lutheran, and we were required to select and stitch into our minds and hearts a verse that would guide us on our faith journey. At twelve years old, the verse spoke to me in an innocent way, like a morning lullaby that soothes the uncertainty of the day.

As those uncertainties evolved from anxiety over a pop quiz in algebra to making the next month’s mortgage payment after I lost my job, I grew more dependent on that verse and God’s mercy.

During the great recession in 2008, my job was eliminated and I discovered I was expecting my first child. The news of my pregnancy was met with joy and anxiety from my husband and me as we wondered how we’d provide for our baby. Our stress was amplified a month after my daughter’s delivery when our portion of the maternity bill came due: $90,000. Mercy! When we opened the bill, we looked at each other and laughed. There wasn’t much else we could do.

But that night I prayed, desperately hoping the words of Jesus in Matthew 7 to “ask, seek, knock” would ring true in our lives. I asked Him for a financial miracle with the expectation that a windfall would sweep away our money woes. Instead, a week later we received a call from the hospital. Because we were able to confirm a substantial income loss, the debt was forgiven, gone, completely wiped out! Mercy.

FAITH STEP:Start your day with a thank-you to God for something He has done for you.

Culled from https://www.guideposts.org/faith-and-prayer/daily-devotions/devotions-for-women/she-prayed-for-a-financial-miracle

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

6th July, 2017

:hi: :hi:  Today’s devotional is here.

Image result for cleaning up your life

Clean Up

Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.
    —Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV

Have you ever gone on a cleaning rampage to straighten up your home or office? Did you enjoy pitching junk, straightening objects, and organizing materials so that you could find them when you need them?

You may need to get on a Holy Ghost rampage and do the same thing with your life. Say, “I’ve had enough bondage. I’ve had enough negative thoughts. I’ve had enough of the lies of the devil. I am not going to have any more bad days. I am not going to be discouraged, depressed, or despondent. I am going to enjoy my life!”

Jesus is ready to help you live life to the fullest!

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

7th July, 2017

Hi. I just feel like today’s devotional is just for me. I had to soak it in before I shared. Hope it finds it’s way into that tiny corner of your heart. #Olowogbogboroisatwork. Here we go:

Image result for hemmed in by God

Hemmed In

Today’s Truth

You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me (Psalms 139:5, NIV).

Friend to Friend

Have you ever tugged firmly on a thread hanging from the edge of your garment, in hopes of breaking it, only to have it unravel further? Yeah, me, too.

Life can, at times, behave like that garment. What we thought was held together securely can unexpectedly begin to unravel. Sometimes the unraveling happens suddenly—a late night phone call, an unwanted discovery, a disappointing lab test result—or it can happen gradually over time, like the slow fade of a dear friendship or the foundation of your marriage.

While our external circumstances can unravel, would you agree that it is most disturbing when it feels as if WE are unraveling? In those times, not only do we doubt our capacity to handle what’s going on in our lives, due to our “frayed state,” but we seriously wonder if there will be anything left of us once the “entire thread of our sound mind has been pulled loose.”

In my book, Overcoming Overeating, I offer a journal-based navigation tool designed to help readers identify, process through, and heal from the emotions which keep them locked in the chains of food addiction. On a number of occasions I have heard from honest readers who admit to me that they are fearful to embark on this reflective, memory journey. One reader said it like this: “I am afraid that if I start crying, I will never stop.”

The first time I heard this persuasive lie—sent straight from the Enemy, I felt compelled to counter with the Truth.

Our main scripture today tells us the LORD has us hemmed in—behind and before. The purpose of the hemlines in our clothing is to keep the fabric from unraveling. Such is the promise of GOD’s careful “stitch work:” His unwavering presence in our lives keeps US from unraveling!

If you are being fed a similar lie—that you won’t be able to hold it all together, that you’re sure to lose your mind, break down, crumble—allow me to feed you some nourishing truth directly from Scripture.

2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear,
    but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” (NKJV)

You were outfitted with a sound mind…and no one, and no circumstance, no matter how trying, can take away what God has gifted you.

Psalms 62:2 “He alone is my protector and deliverer.
    He is my refuge; I will not be upended.” (NET)

You may be “knocked into” and some of your emotional strength may be “spilled,” but you will never be completely upended (turned over and drained).

Isaiah 33:6a He is your constant source of stability” (NET)

You can stand firm, because He holds you firmly.

Friend, you are stronger than you think, because He is stronger than you know. And unlike the thread in your skirt that occasional breaks and unwinds, God’s hems hold fast forever!

Let’s Pray

Dear Lord, thank you that you not only knit us together in our beginning, but that you have also promised to hold “our stitching” together ‘til the end. You are strong and mighty. Let us never forget that you go before us and you are our rear guard, too. We commit our fragile selves to you.

In the steadfast Name of Jesus Christ we pray,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn: Give yourself a history lesson. Review in your mind the times when you felt the hand of the Lord holding you firmly, even though your world was rocking. Denounce the lies of the Evil One who would try to convince you that you are poised to unravel. In faith, claim that same stability of mind, body, and soul for today’s trial.

cc: @nicole @lala @bosa @bibi @peace @uloma @ketty  @wumigunner @smiley

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-july-7-2017.html

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 335 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.