Sharing spiritual support and prayers!

Daily Meditation

314 replies, 13 voices Last updated by  Oluwakemi 23 hours, 3 minutes ago
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 315 total)
  • Author

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

18th April, 2017

Good morning all. Below  is the devotional for today :heart:   :heart:

Image result for mighty warrior

God’s Mighty Warrior

“When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, ‘The LORD is with you, mighty warrior.’” Judges 6:12 (NIV)

I remember being a new mom and finding great solace in the bathroom. Some days I wanted to hide in there for long stretches of time from my energetic toddler. My son Ethan loved to turn off the light in the bathroom and shut the door. He would giggle from the other side.

I didn’t care about being in the dark. I was just happy to be left alone for a moment. I didn’t feel at all like a mighty warrior. I felt more like a nobody hiding out.

This is how I imagine Gideon’s disposition was in Judges 6. During this time, the Midianites had overpowered and dominated Israel for seven years. The Israelites hid out in mountains, caves and forts. Like an invasion of locusts, the enemy came in and took over. They destroyed Israel’s crops and devastated the country. In desperation, the people of Israel cried out to God for help.

Perhaps something has overwhelmed you in your life. Maybe you relate to Gideon’s situation like this …

The crying children overpowered the mothers. Because of their whiny, unhappy little ones, the mothers made hideouts wherever they could find them — the bathroom, local coffee shop or hidden in the laundry room. The children wreaked havoc in the kitchen and family room. Their toys were like an invasion of locusts. The mothers, reduced to wearing sweats and cutting up food all day, cried out to God for help.

We can all take heart, because in the midst of Gideon’s hopelessness, God shows up in a big way. While Gideon was hiding in a winepress, threshing wheat, the angel of the Lord appears. This was not just any angel. This is understood to be an Old Testament appearance of God Himself declaring:

“The LORD is with you, mighty warrior” (Judges 6:12b).

“Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” (Judges 6:14b, NIV)

Gideon may have looked behind him to see if the angel of the Lord was addressing someone else. After all, he was hardly qualified to save Israel, coming from the weakest clan in Manasseh and being the least in his family (verse 15). Yet apparently to God, Gideon was a mighty warrior.

I believe God sees mighty warriors in each of us too. Imagine going about your daily work, making dinner, paying bills or sorting laundry and God appears to you saying, “The LORD is with you, mighty warrior.” This would undoubtedly change your life.

It doesn’t matter how you were raised as a child, whether you’re rich or poor, God makes victors out of the ordinary and overlooked. God seems to delight in working powerfully through unexpected “warriors” such as Gideon, Rahab and Ruth. Don’t let your past determine your present or your circumstances dictate your worth. God is the giver of new life.

Notice God appeared to Gideon in private. Wheat was normally threshed in open spaces, typically on a hilltop so the breeze could blow away the chaff. But fearful of the Midianites, Gideon worked hidden away in a sunken winepress.

God can meet you in the privacy of your home when you’re tending to your family members, thinking no one notices your efforts. You might be caring for a toddler, teenager or aging parent. Or you may be at your job, doing your daily work when God shows up to speak to you. Gideon was a simple man living a normal life, but as he fulfilled his everyday duties, God showed up to do the miraculous.

Gideon was teachable because he listened to what the angel of the Lord said. He rose to the daunting occasion of delivering the Israelites. He didn’t do it perfectly, but God’s strength is perfected in weakness, isn’t it?

So when you look in the bathroom mirror today, what will you see? Even if you’re hiding in there, you can choose to see a mighty warrior for God.

Lord God, sometimes I wonder how I will accomplish the tasks at hand. I have felt overwhelmed and underqualified. Yet I know You are with me, and that makes all the difference in the world. May I experience Your power in my life today. Make me into a mighty warrior for Your glory. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Judges 8:28, “Thus Midian was subdued before the Israelites and did not raise its head again. During Gideon’s lifetime, the land had peace forty years.” (NIV)

2 Peter 1:3, “His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” (NIV)

cc: @nicole @bosa @pearl @lala@uloma  @bibi

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/encouragement/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

20th April, 2017

Hi lovely people. I love today’s devotional and I could use it today…this week sef ;-) Enjoy

Go with the Flow

Image result for going with the flo
    But the meek [in the end] shall inherit the earth and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

—Psalm 37:11

We can learn to get along with people. It is especially important to learn to get along with our immediate family members and coworkers. There are many informative books about personality differences to help us understand why people feel and act the way they do. Understanding helps to smooth over strained relationships.

People make decisions differently. Some give an immediate answer, while others want time to think about things first. Try to understand the people you will see today. Ask God to show you ways to get along with them. He will give you favor as you trust in Him.

Culled from https://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/devotional.aspx

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

21st April, 2017

Hello!!! Hope you had a great week. Here’s the devotional for today.

When Words Don’t Work

“Then they sat down on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights with no one speaking a word to him, for they saw that his pain was very great.” Job 2:13 (NASB)

A few weeks ago, a doctor told me I’d probably lose my big toe as some uncommon benign process had done damage to my bone. While I’m grateful to have other solutions now, imagine my dismay the day I received that worst-case scenario.

I cried a lot and felt overwhelmed at the thought of amputation, the reality of rehab and how my life would make room for healing. I didn’t have words.

But right in the middle of my attempt to process the early prognosis, a longtime dear friend told me she wanted to stop by. She told me she wouldn’t stay long, but she just wanted to visit with me.

My friend arrived at the door, brought a chair into the bedroom and sat. She didn’t try to offer words of comfort or some super spiritual word of encouragement. I’m so glad because I’m not sure her words would have worked. She made it clear she just wanted to be there and support me with her presence. This friend acknowledged my pain without focusing on it. We laughed a bit, and she let me cry a bit too.

Sometimes life delivers news that knocks the wind out of us, and we just don’t have words — for our pain or for the pain of others. And here’s what I’ve learned: Words matter, but sometimes our presence matters more.

When Job experienced great tragedy in his life, he had three friends who came to visit. They came intending to sympathize with him and comfort him. (Job 2:11) But when they realized how bad things were, they mourned with him then sat with him in silence.

“When they lifted up their eyes at a distance and did not recognize him, they raised their voices and wept. And each of them tore his robe and they threw dust over their heads toward the sky. Then they sat down on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights with no one speaking a word to him, for they saw that his pain was very great.” (Job 2:12-13, NASB)

The beautiful thing about Job’s friends is that they were friends of action. They looked out for him and noticed he was hurting. They came to Job without him having to call them to attention. They didn’t start out attempting to fix his problems but chose instead to simply be with him in his despair.

They acted as friends, even though they were speechless. They joined Job in his active grief but didn’t say a word. There was nothing to be said. They understood the value in the companion of silent presence. They were willing to mourn with him, mingle their tears with his and offer quiet comfort.

It’s only later that Job’s friends make things worse when they tried to use their words to explain Job’s troubles. In fact, only in their attempt to explain the pain did his friends earn their reputation for being insensitive, heartless and cruel.

But we can learn from their first response. Job’s friends came and sat with him in a demonstrable way to show their support without offering a solution.

And this is what I noticed about the beauty of my friend sitting with me.

Her presence mattered.

My toe.

Maybe someone’s breast cancer diagnosis or chronic fibromyalgia.

My rehab.

Maybe someone’s recovery from divorce or from financial troubles.

My adjustments.

Maybe someone’s new baby, empty nest, lonely heart or journey through grief.

We are a culture driven by what we can do. While doing has its place, let’s remember that “being” — our presence with someone we care about — carries importance as well … even if we don’t think we have something helpful to say.

Sure, sometimes we don’t know what to do, so we do nothing at all. While our intentions are real, in lieu of grand gestures we don’t act because we’re unsure if our actions actually matter. We discount the beauty of “being there.”

My friend’s presence reminded me that it’s okay if you can’t “fix it.” It’s perfectly fine if you don’t have a solution or can’t provide the perfect answer. Proverbs tells us that sometimes words just don’t work.

“When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise.” (Proverbs 10:19, NASB)

Even counselors know sometimes the best thing to do is simply sit and listen. You don’t always have to have the right word to say or know the perfect thing to do. When words don’t work, your presence alone can be both a personable and poignant way to show a hurting friend you care.

Dear Father, help me see others who are hurting. Help me respond in a way that serves them and honors You. Give me words when words are a help, but help me be there for others when my presence is what they need most. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Romans 12:15, “Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.” (NASB)

1 Thessalonians 5:11, “Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.” (ESV)

REFLECT AND RESPOND:
    Has someone ever been present in a way that helped you during a hard time? How did that encourage you?

Who needs your presence more than they need your words? How can you make yourself available today?

Culled from  http://proverbs31.org/devotions/devo/#sthash.MjPXR0qh.dpuf

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

24th April, 2017

Good morning. It’s a great day to be alive and we thank God for the gift of life. Below is the devotional for today. :hugs:

Image result for bible

The Written Word

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
    —Psalm 119:105

The Bible is written as a personal letter to you. God speaks to you, ministers to your needs, and directs you in the way you should go in His written Word. He tells you what you should do and how you should live.

It is a mistake to think we can hear clearly from God without spending time in the Word. Knowing the written Word protects you from deception. Listening for God’s voice without being dedicated to spending time in the Word on a regular basis opens you up to hearing voices that are not from God. There may be times when God speaks something to you that is outside a specific chapter and verse of the Bible, but it will always be in agreement with His Word.

Tonight, spend time reading a portion of God’s personal letter to you and allow Him to speak to your heart. God’s Word is one of the most precious gifts we have. Treasure it.

Culled from http://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/Devotional.aspx

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

26th April, 2017

Hello :hi:   :hi:  Have you ever felt as though God is not looking in your direction? That’s He’s not feeling what you are going through…well, you need to read this devotional today and ultimately, learn to trust him regardless of what your circumstance says.

Image result for seeing God's plan

When You See God’s Plan Unfold

“God can do anything, you know — far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!” Ephesians 3:20 (MSG)

I’m not sure when I first read Ephesians 3:20, but it’s one I’ve marked, scribbled, highlighted, circled and underlined as many times as I can in my Bible. It’s the verse I go back to, time and time again, when I don’t see my plans unfolding the way I think they should … when I think I have it all figured out, and yet God isn’t moving the same direction.

Hey, God … I’m over here! Come this way. I have plans! Do it my way!

No … it doesn’t work that way. Often, we make these grand plans and then as the days and weeks go by, we realize we must sit and be patient as we watch His plans unfold. No time was this truer than on my journey to become a mother.

Husband, check. Good jobs, check. House ready for a family, check.

Baby? Nope. Not coming.

I had plans to start a family, but God didn’t seem to get the message. So, I prayed. And waited. And I clung to Scripture reminding me God can do anything … even more than what I could ever expect. As Ephesians 3:20 reminded me, “God can do anything, you know — far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams.”

How, God? How can you make me a mom in a way better than I’m expecting?

I was a mix of disbelief, doubt and hope. One year went by. Then two. A miscarriage. Failed attempts at fertility procedures.

More drugs, injections and trips to the doctor than I could count. I was weary.

But God’s Word tells us in Jeremiah 31:25 that He will “refresh the weary and satisfy the faint.” (NIV)

And now, almost a decade later, I sit here with four precious children. One surprise baby after I officially quit “trying” to have a baby. Then when she was seven months old, another surprise baby. Two surprises, one girl and one boy. But then God did something even more amazing than that …

Ten months after having my second surprise baby, God made it crystal clear to me I wasn’t done being a mom … that I needed to mother those who didn’t have one. As James 1:27 says, we’re called to look after the orphans. His great plan for me all those years ago was to be a mom by birth and also a mom by adoption. After our first trip to China to get our precious little girl, we knew He was still at work in us. So, 18 short months later, we found ourselves back in China to bring home a second daughter. One, two, three, four precious kids.

These kids bring me so much joy — whether we’re taking walks, riding bikes, cooking together or gathering around the table for a meal — I never want to forget how every moment, every day, every memory with them is a gift beyond my wildest dreams.

I had once been weary, but I clung to the hope and promise that comes from Ephesians 3:20. I never saw myself being a mom to these four kids … but God did. He knew what I needed even when I didn’t.

Rest in that promise, friends: The promise of the cross always delivers more than our hearts could even imagine.

Dear God, I thank You for the plans You have for me. I praise You, knowing that whatever You have in store for me is ultimately far better than anything I could imagine for myself. Please increase my trust in You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Jeremiah 29:11, “‘For I know the plans I have for you’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” (NIV)

Isaiah 55:8-9, “‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the LORD. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’” (NIV)

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/encouragement/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

27th April, 2017

Hello, it’s another day to be awesome. :bodyb:   :bodyb:  The devotional is here.

Image result for light and darkness

What Darkness Can Teach You About Light

Today’s Truth

You are the light of the world. (Matthew 5:14)

Friend to Friend

The hike up the mountain was a tough one. Flimsy patches of shade dangled from the trees but they were no match for the brutal Pennsylvania mid-summer heat. The rocky, three-mile vertical jaunt was only tamed by the fun being had along the way with the other camp counselors.

We talked. We sang. We laughed.

It was a week before the campers would arrive. All the counselors gathered for training that prepared us for the lessons and activities we would lead kids in all summer long. Caving was one of the optional camp activities so we went as a team of counselors to experience it before we led it.

When we finally reached the entrance of the cave and stepped down into the mouth I breathed a sigh of relief. I’d never been caving before and I didn’t know what to expect, but the benefits of “no more heat” were very appealing to me those first few minutes. We grabbed our flashlights, turned them on, filed in one by one, and began moving down the dark entrance corridor.

After I grew accustomed to the cooler temperature of the cave, I secretly got a bit freaked out by my surroundings. As passageways grew smaller and smaller and we trekked deeper and deeper into the cave, my mind flooded with questions. Is there enough air in here to support life? Who signed me up for this? What happens if we get lost down here? I have to crawl on my belly to go forward… wait, what?

Yeah. For real. It was something else.

I don’t think I’m necessarily claustrophobic, but let’s just say “comfortable and brave” aren’t the words I’d use to describe how I was feeling mid-cave. I strapped on my courage, breathed a steady stream of silent prayers, and stayed close to the friend in front of me as we followed the guide who was leading our group.

An hour or so into the spelunking expedition, he led us into a room. Yes. A room in the middle of a cave. {And, yes. I was thinking about Marshall, Will and Holly… and hissing Sleestaks and Cha-Ka. Because this is normal behavior for those of us born between 1968 and 1972.}

This inner room was big enough for the entire group of counselors. There must’ve been at least 40 of us that day. We all loaded in and chit-chatted excessively.

“Can I have everyone’s attention, please?” Our guide summoned us to silence.

Giggles and conversations trailed off…

“We are in the heart of the cave. This room has no natural source of light whatsoever. Only what we have brought with us: the flashlights. It’s a darkness that is different than anything you’ve ever experienced. To illustrate this, I’d like everyone to switch off your lights.”

Gulp. Okay.

“Try to see the person beside you. You can’t. Hold your hand up in front of your face. Wave it around. You can’t see it. This is a space void of light.”

We ooohed and ahhhed, and tried our hardest to see… with no success.

Then he lit a match.

One. Tiny. Match.

And the whole room was visible.

Darkness was invaded. Conquered. Shoved back. Forced to flee and acquiesce to one itty-bitty source of light.

And he began to tell a familiar story that stirred my soul in a fresh way.

“A long time ago, on the other side of the world, on a hillside near Capernaum Jesus sat down with a group of ordinary people just like you and me. He looked them in the eye and said to all who believed…

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.(Matthew 5:14-16)

Then he went on to commission us for the work that lies ahead. He challenged us to be mindful of light’s impact and to go back to the campground and be that light all summer long. To the campers. To the counselors. To everyone we came in contact with.

I was gripped.

Gripped by the power of light. Gripped by this word that Jesus said describes me. IS me. Is my purpose… my calling… my commissioning – for that summer… this winter… every day.

Light.

I am the light of the world. Not because of any glittery glow of my own but because I am handcrafted, redeemed, restored, and refined by THE Light of the World who blows away any and all darkness that tries to dominate.

You are the light of the world too. And those around you in your family, your workplace, community, and even in your church are in great need of seeing an un-hidden, unapologetic light that serves and loves others in such a way that they would simply have to respond to God with praise.

Go on now… light it up, today.

Let’s Pray

Dear Lord, My heart is blown wide open when I think of the power You possess to not just impact, but annihilate darkness with light. Please forgive me for the times when I forget who I am in You and fail to shine. Help me to live and love in such a way that it would cause others to want to know and worship You.

In Jesus’ name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Read Psalm 27:1. What three names is God called by the psalmist in this verse? Should knowing Him as your light, salvation, and stronghold affect the way you live out your faith? Why or why not?

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

28th April, 2017

Hello everyone!! :hi:   :hi:  The devotional for today is here :flasher:   :flasher:

Image result for acceptable words

Acceptable Words

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my [firm, impenetrable] Rock and my Redeemer.
    —Psalm 19:14

It is acceptable to God when we use our mouths to bring joy, love, and good to others. It is not acceptable to God when we use our mouths to bring hurt and destruction. We are still acceptable to Him, but our behavior isn’t because it will not produce the good results in our lives that God desires for us.

Ephesians 4:29 teaches us not to use our words to cause the Holy Spirit any grief and gives clear instructions concerning what grieves Him: Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God’s favor) to those who hear it.

Properly chosen words can actually change lives for the better. What you say can tear down or build up, so choose words that are agreeable with God’s will.

Power Thought: My words are wholesome and acceptable to God.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

1st May, 2017

Welcome to the month of May!!! I pray that it’s a great month for us all, filled with celebrations and joy. The devotional for today is here.

Image result for Happy may

A Prayer to be the Hands and Feet of Christ

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” – Matthew 25:40

Dear Jesus,

Help me to spread Your fragrance wherever I go.
    Flood my soul with Your Spirit and life.
    Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly,
    that my life may only be a radiance of Yours.
    Shine through me, and be so in me
    that every soul I come in contact with
    may feel Your presence in my soul.
    Let them look up, and see no longer me, but only Jesus!
    Stay with me and then I will begin to shine as You shine,
    so to shine as to be a light to others.
    The light, O Jesus, will be all from You; none of it will be mine.
    It will be You, shining on others through me.
    Let me thus praise You in the way which You love best,
    by shining on those around me.
    Let me preach You without preaching, not by words but by my example,
    by the catching force, the sympathetic influence of what I do,
    the evident fullness of the love my heart bears to You.
    Amen.

Inspired by John Henry Cardinal Newman’s own prayer, prayed by Mother Teresa daily after holy communion.

Heavenly Father, in this time of prayer, we reach out in the assurance that you will embrace your children and lead us home. Thank you for your grace, without it we are lost. Teach us to be your hands and feet. Send us where we are needed, and help us to look upon other with eyes unclouded by hate.

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/your-daily-prayer/a-prayer-to-be-the-hands-and-feed-of-christ-your-daily-prayer-may-1-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

2nd May, 2017

Good morning everyone. It’s the first day of work for most people this month, here’s wishing you a fantastic day at work. Again, the Word is at work, transforming the fleshy at heart…A mind change, say the devotional for today.

Image result for a mind change

“I Want a Mind Change”

And you [He made alive], when you were dead (slain) by [your] trespasses and sins in which at one time you walked [habitually]. You were following the course and fashion of this world [were under the sway of the tendency of this present age], following the prince of the power of the air. [You were obedient to and under the control of] the [demon] spirit that still constantly works in the sons of disobedience [the careless, the rebellious, and the unbelieving, who go against the purposes of God].
    —Ephesians 2:1-2

I find a great deal of comfort in thinking about who I used to be and who I have become. It helps me not to be discouraged when I make mistakes or find that I still struggle over some issues. I’m greatly encouraged when I consider where I started and where I am now.

In Ephesians 2, Paul described those outside of Christ. He wrote that unbelievers follow the prince of the power of the air, who is Satan, and they follow the way their master leads. In verse 1, he pointed out that all were once dead through their sins, but believers are now alive in Jesus Christ. He tells us we’re not governed or led by our lower nature—the impulses of the flesh.

Many Christians have trouble in this area because they haven’t learned to control their thoughts. A lady once told me, “It simply didn’t occur to me that I needed to direct my mind and keep it healthy and positive. If ministers preached or taught about the control of our thoughts, I never heard it. One day, however, I read an article about the power of thoughts, and God convicted me. That’s when I knew I needed to change my thinking.”

This lady said she drove down the street of a busy city and she spotted a sign, a cartoon of a car with big eyes for the front lights and tears flowing, and the words, “Please help me! I need an oil change.”

As she passed by, she thought, I need a mind change. I don’t like being the way I am, letting my mind go wherever it wants. Part of my responsibility as a child of God is to keep my thoughts healthy and strong.

“I want to make it clear that I went to church,” she said, “and I had been active for years. I knew a lot of Scripture, and I even did some volunteer work at the church. But I didn’t control my thoughts. Even when I sang in church, my mind jumped from subject to subject. We’d be singing about joy and grace, and I’d think about the dishes still in the sink, the unfinished laundry, or what I wanted to eat for lunch.

“I attended church and I was faithful, but I was not faithful in attending to the Word. I listened when the preachers quoted Scripture. I usually followed along with my own Bible, but I didn’t really think about what I was hearing or what my eyes were reading. I was doing the right things outwardly, but I wasn’t thinking the right things. My mind was a mess, and I didn’t know what to do about it.”

“I need a mind change,” she suddenly said aloud to herself. Just then, she actually pondered the words she had spoken. She was like the car on the sign—she needed a change—a mind change. She needed to let the Holy Spirit direct her thoughts instead of the devil. As she prayed, she felt confident there would be a positive change.

She thought to herself, Is there anything I am supposed to do? She realized that if she didn’t make lifestyle changes, the devil would soon make the new thinking as muddy and gunky as the old thinking was.

For the next several days, she looked up all the scriptures she could find that used the word study or meditate. She also looked up scriptures that talked about the mind or thoughts. She read those verses, wrote them on slips of paper, and pondered them.

Here are three of them.

For as he thinks in his heart, so is he… (Proverbs 23:7 NKJV).

And be constantly renewed in the spirit of your mind [having a fresh mental and spiritual attitude](Ephesians 4:23).

My hands also will I lift up [in fervent supplication] to Your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on Your statutes (Psalm 119:48).

The more she meditated on the right things, the less trouble she had with Satan trying to control her thoughts. That’s how it works with all of us: The more we focus on God, the less often the devil can defeat us.

Thank You, great God, for giving me a mind change. Help me always to be free to serve You with my heart, my soul, and my mind. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

3rd May, 2017

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. It’s a great day  :yahoo:  My wedding anniversary also :wedding:   :wedding:  The devotional for today is here.

Image result for precious promises of god

God Has Given You Precious Promises

Today’s Truth

“His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness,” (2 Pet. 1:3 NIV).

Friend to Friend

Aren’t you excited to know that God has deposited rich blessings and a lavish inheritance into your account? Tell me, what reason do we have to feel inadequate? In light of what we have in Christ, I can’t think of a thing. But how do we access these magnificent promises? Peter says: “Through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness” (2 Pet. 1:3).

The Greeks had several words for the word knowledge. The one used here is epignosis. This is a strengthened form of the word and implies a larger, more thorough, and intimate knowledge. It is not simply knowing something intellectually, but understanding and believing what you know in a personal way.

When Steve and I traveled to Ephesus, a local tour guide took us through the landmarks, ruins, and history of the early church. She knew the facts about Christianity and more about the dates, locations, and nuances of Paul’s visits than we did. When we stopped for lunch, I asked her if it would be okay with her if we asked God to bless our food. She bowed her head with us as we prayed. When she opened her eyes, she said, “Thank you. I’ve never experienced that before.”

This Turkish woman knew about Christianity, but she had no epignosis of Jesus. She knew all about the historical aspects of the religion, but she did not know the One who came to set her free.

Even demons know who Jesus is—and they shudder (James 2:19). The devil knows exactly who Jesus is, what He has done, and what He will do in the final days. But the devil does not know Him experientially as Savior and Lord. Paul says that through knowing Jesus intimately, personally, and experientially, we have everything we need—precious and magnificent promises.

Like a tiny baby born to be King, most of us have no idea what those great and mighty promises entail, what our rich inheritance contains, or what our spiritual birthright bestows. As we open the pages of God’s Word, He begins to reveal the truth of who you are and what you have as a child of God. And remember, this is not a promise of what you will have one day, but what you have the moment you believe.

These promises are called precious and valuable. I love how the NASB translation refers to them as “magnificent promises” (2 Peter 1:4). The word magnificent means “splendid, lavish, beautiful; as to arouse admiration and wonder.” And, oh, how God’s magnificent, splendid, lavish, and beautiful promises arouse admiration and wonder of who He is and what He does. Oh my goodness, why in the world would I feel inadequate! Thick-headedness and unbelief are my only excuses.

And how does He give us everything we need for life and godliness, how does He dole out the precious promises? He gives freely. Pours out lavishly. It costs you nothing. It cost Jesus everything.

Let’s Pray

Heavenly Father, thank You for your lavish blessings and Your magnificent promises. No matter what comes my way today, help me to remember that You have given me everything I need for a life of godliness.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Look up the following verses and note what you learn about God’s promises:Genesis 28:15; Numbers 23:19; Joshua 21:45; Psalm 145:13

What do you need to do to move that knowledge from your head, to your heart, to your feet or actions?

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

4th May, 2017

Good morning all… :heart: :heart: Let me share this small testimony before I the devotional. ;-) Recently, I was trying to buy a pair of shoes for my daughter online and I just didn’t understand the size chart. I was so afraid to make a mistake, so I kept dilly dally for close to 30 minutes. I got tired and just blurted out, “Holy Spirit help me!”

The same webpage and shoe size chart that I had been looking at for ages suddenly made sense. Within minutes, I was done with my purchase. But I had wasted 30 minutes of my life thinking, when I just needed to ask for the help of the Holy spirit.

Jesus promised us the Holy Spirit as a helper but sometimes, we are so caught up in our challenges, we forget to ask for help, especially the help of the Holy spirit. We want to help ourselves and forget the one perfect helper, we will ever need. Today’s devotional seeks to shift our focus back to The Helper. Enjoy.

Image result for holy spirit's help

The Help of the Holy Spirit

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    —Romans 8:5 KJV 

Romans 8:5 teaches us that if we “mind” the flesh, we will walk in the flesh. But if we “mind” the things of the Spirit, we will walk in the Spirit. Our actions follow our thoughts!

Let me put it another way: If we think fleshly thoughts, wrong thoughts, and negative thoughts, we cannot walk in the Spirit. It seems as if renewed, godlike thinking is a vital necessity to a successful Christian life.

Your life may be in a state of chaos because of years of wrong thinking. If so, it is important for you to come to grips with the fact that your life will not get straightened out until your mind does. You should consider this area one of vital necessity.

Ask God to help you learn to think thoughts that He would have you think. You cannot overcome any problem by determination alone. It is important to be determined, but determined in the Holy Spirit, not in the effort of your own flesh. The Holy Spirit is close to you. He is your Helper—seek His help. Lean on Him. You can make it with His help.

Give the Holy Spirit control of your life. He will lead you into the perfect will of God for you, which includes exceeding, abundant blessings, peace, and joy.

cc: @nicole @bosa @mamaibeji @bibi @pearl @heavenlymum @lala @uloma

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Oluwakemi.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

5th May, 2017

Hi ladies. Awesome day over here. Birthday stuff and all :cake:   :cake:   :cake:  Today’s devotional is here.

Image result for living one day at a timeLive One Day at a Time

So do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have worries and anxieties of its own. Sufficient for each day is its own trouble.
    —Matthew 6:34

Most of us have enough to handle today without worrying about tomorrow. God will give you grace for today, but He will not give you grace for tomorrow until tomorrow arrives.

So often people worry about something that never happens. When you begin to think about the “what ifs,” the door opens for fear and worry. Some people worry so much that their worries become fear, and often the things people fear manifest in their life.

Do not allow yourself to dread tomorrow. Just know that God is faithful. It is comforting to know that whatever tomorrow may hold, He holds tomorrow. His grace is sufficient to meet the need. Do not waste today’s grace by worrying about tomorrow. Live one day at a time and you’ll be amazed at how much you can accomplish for Christ.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

8th May, 2017

Good morning all. It’s  a brand new week and here’s wishing you an awesome week :flasher:   :flasher: Today’s devotional is just perfect; don’t wing it…. :heart:

Image result for Monday

Don’t Wing It

Although He was a Son, He learned [active, special] obedience through what He suffered and, [His completed experience] making Him perfectly [equipped], He became the Author and Source of eternal salvation to all those who give heed and obey Him.
    —Hebrews 5:8-9

Ever found yourself in a situation where you did not take time to prepare for something at work or at church and you’re expected to do something? Your heart starts hammering, the butterflies in your stomach start flittering, and you quietly think to yourself, I’ll just wing it. You’re not prepared, but you’re hoping you can pull it off anyway and nobody will ever know.

Even if you do manage to deceive other people, you will know the truth and you won’t feel good about it. Down deep inside you will know that you did not do your best. You might feel relieved that you managed to get through it, but you did it in fear rather than confidence.

Even Jesus was trained and prepared by the suffering He went through. He was equipped for His office as High Priest through His times of preparation. If Jesus needed preparation in order to be equipped for His job, there is no doubt that we need the same thing. Sometimes the bitter experiences we endure are the best teachers we have in life.

Lord, I ask You to use all of my life experiences to shape me as they shaped You. I want to be a person of substance and godliness with something to give to others. Amen.

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

9th May, 2017

Hello everyone. How’s it going with you. Today’s devotional is here. :heart:

Related image

Resting in the Here-ness and Near-ness of God

Today’s Truth

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither thepresent nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord  (Rom. 8:38-39).

Friend to Friend

Have you ever been in a situation when you felt God calling your name to a particular task, and at the same time you felt that He had the wrong person for the job? That’s exactly how Moses felt when God called him to lead the Israelites out of Egypt and to the Promised Land. He cried out, “Who am I that I should go to the Pharaoh?”

I’ve been there. I wonder if you have too. I’ve thought, God, You’ve got to be kidding? Me? You’ve got the wrong girl for the job! I’m a nobody!

But look at how God answered Moses.

And God said, “I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this mountain” (Exodus 3:12 emphasis added).

It was almost as if He ignored the question on the table and told Moses what he really needed to know. “I will be with you.” In other words, “Don’t worry about whoyou are. Concentrate on Who I AM. I’ll be with you. I’ve got this. You just hang on tight.”

Isn’t it a comfort to know that God is always with you? Always! David wrote:

Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
    If I go up to the heavens, you are there
    If I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    If I settle on the far side of the sea,
    Even there your hand will guide me.
    Your right hand will hold me fast (Ps. 139:7-10).

Paul wrote:

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord (Rom. 8:38-39).

The writer of Hebrews reminds us that God’s words to the Israelites also apply to you and me: Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you (see Heb. 13:5; Deut. 31:6, 8; Josh. 1:5).

God’s presence envelops us as we live and move and have our being in Him. So many times we glibly suggest or imploringly beg for God to be with us as if we have to coax Him out of hiding. David debunks that idea. There is no place we can go that is away from God’s presence. Most Christian would say they believe this truth, but then live like they don’t.

One day I was praying for my son, a prayer that had almost become as rote as “God is great. God is good.” “God, please be with Steven today,” I whispered.

Just as abruptly as a referee’s whistle calling foul, God stopped me mid-sentence. Why do you pray that every day? He seemed to say. I AM with Steven. I’m with him every day. Why do you ask for something he already has as if you don’t believe Me?

God was right! Imagine that. So I amended my mother prayer. “Dear Lord, please help Steven be aware of Your presence today.”

The truth of God’s here-ness and nearness is punctuated throughout Scripture. So no matter what you are going through or what God has called you to, remember, He is right there with you. You’re never alone.

Let’s Pray

Heavenly Father, I am so thankful that You are always with me. No matter where I go, You are there. Help me to be aware of Your presence, acknowledge Your presence, and rest in the truth of You’re here-ness and nearness every step of the way.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

How does it make you feel to know that God is always with you…no matter what?

What is one time when you were going through a difficult time that you sensed God’s presence?

What is one time when you were going through a difficult time that you did not sense God’s presence? Be honest.

Now, regardless of how you felt at that time, was God with you?

Is He with you now?

I try to stay away from “yes” and “no” questions, but sometimes we just need to say aloud what our minds know, so that our hearts can catch up.

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/girlfriends-in-god/girlfriends-in-god-may-9-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

10th May, 2017

Good morning all. Smile…it’s a great day. The devotional is here.

Image result for putting smiles on peoples faces

Putting Smiles on Faces

Therefore encourage (admonish, exhort) one another and edify (strengthen and build up) one another….
    —1 Thessalonians 5:11

God created Adam and Eve, He blessed them, then told them to be fruitful and multiply and use all the vast resources of the earth that He gave them in the service of God and man.

Are you being fruitful? Is your life causing increase? When you get involved with people and things, do they increase and multiply? Some people only take in life, and they never add anything. I refuse to be that kind of person. I want to make people’s lives better. I want to put smiles on faces.

We must all make sure that we are not like the rich man in the Bible who had so much that all of his barns were full with no room for more. Instead of giving any of it away, he decided that he would tear down the barns he had and just build bigger ones and collect more stuff for himself. He was a foolish man. He could have decided that he would use what he had to bless others, but he must have been a fearful, selfish man, who only had room in his life for himself (see Luke 12:16-20).

God called the man a fool, and said, This very night they [the messengers of God] will demand your soul of you; and all the things that you have prepared, whose will they be? The man was going to die that night, and all he would leave behind was “stuff.” He had an opportunity to make the world a better place. He could have added to many lives and put smiles on thousands of faces. Instead, he fearfully and selfishly only cared about himself.

Forget about yourself and start doing all you can to help others. Encourage, edify, lift up, comfort, help, give hope, relieve pain, and lift burdens. If that is your goal, you will be one of those rare individuals who actually make the world a better place and put a smile on every face.

Trust in Him: What are you going to do today to put smiles on faces? It won’t just happen—you have to be intentional about it. Listen for God to show you what to do and then trust that it will bless them…and you!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 315 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.