Sharing spiritual support and prayers!

Daily Meditation

361 replies, 13 voices Last updated by  Oluwakemi 1 day, 6 hours ago
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 362 total)
  • Author

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

21st February, 2017

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Today’s devotional is here :flasher:

Image result for using your gift for good

According to Your Gift

Having gifts (faculties, talents, qualities) that differ according to the grace given us, let us use them: [He whose gift is] prophecy, [let him prophesy] according to the proportion of his faith; [He whose gift is] practical service, let him give himself to serving; he who teaches, to his teaching.
    —Romans 12:6-7

It’s a time-tested truth: Most people who criticize others for what they are doing are usually doing nothing themselves. It is sad when people have nothing better to do than criticize those who are trying to do something to make the world a better place.

I recall being a member of one church in which the pastor felt that any woman who wanted to do anything other than pray, clean, or work in the nursery had to present her case to him and the elders for their approval. I was teaching a very successful home Bible study, and the pastor told my husband he should be teaching the meeting rather than me. The pastor had his rules, but God had called me to teach, and He had not called Dave in that way. Dave has other wonderful, valuable gifts, but he is not called to teach. Surely if God had not wanted me to teach, He would not have gifted me to do it—and given me a desire to do it. As far as I can discern from Scripture, God is not in the business of frustrating and confusing people.

Lord, thank You for the spiritual gift You’ve given me. Direct me in how to use it to glorify Your name. Amen.

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier @wemi@mrsciw @missamerley @mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016 @mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4 @bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie @uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma @kemi @yinca @graciee @teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu

Culled from http://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/Devotional.aspx

Adeyinka
    Participant
    @yinca

:heart:

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

Thanks Adeyinka @yinca :flasher:   :flasher:

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

22nd Feb.2017

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Since yesterday night, I have been high, very high on what God is doing in our midst in this community and this devotional just confirms my feeling, the Kings of kings ALWAYS comes through for us, no matter, how long we have been waiting.

It is not always about what and how we want to do stuffs, how we want things to happen but WHAT HE WANTS…even though He indulges us often and do it our way but HIS WAY Is still the best.

Be rest assured of that. The devotional is below:

Image result for waiting on God's presence

Systems Verses Sitting

Today’s Truth

You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:13

Friend to Friend

I am a systems girl.

Give me a new system, whether it’s in my house, on my computer, or for my calendar and I’m in my happy place. I feel deeply that if I have a good system, along with enough Post It Notes, I could rule the world.

So, when I signed up for the course on developing a devotional system, I thought to myself, “This is it! This is the secret sauce I’ve been missing all these years. If I just had a devotional system that really worked, my quiet time will be so much deeper.”

I got my system all organized (my inner Office Supply Geek was leaping for joy). There was a place for my Bible notes, my sermon notes, my prayer requests, Bible memorization and more. I loved all the tabs, lists and fill-ins. Loved each and every page of that devotional.

And then I sat down to use it.

Oh, it was fun to flip through all the pages and tabs, but after a little bit, I realized that this new system was not making me go deeper with God. It was a great tool, but the system wasn’t what I was missing.

Systems are great to help us establish routines to get us into the practice of quiet times, but when it comes down to it, what I need are exactly two things:

1. My Bible
    2. A chunk of time

For some reason, I thought that the system would get me where I wanted to go, spiritually, more quickly. But God is not interested in our speed.

I realized I was trying for an instant connection, instead of giving myself, and God, time to truly linger with each other.

What I’ve come to understand is that my way of practicing the presence of God needs to be less about systems and more about sitting.

Sitting and anticipating the slow, faithful hand of God.

Sitting and waiting on his voice, even if I can’t hear it right away.

Sitting quietly and expectantly.

While systems are great, and can give me a false sense of presence. I need to take steps to go beyond the system, so that I can truly meet with God. Here are a few things to consider if you are struggling:

1. Pray for desire and grace.

If you know you should be having a quiet time, but it feels like a struggle each and every time, ask God for the desire to meet with him, and then ask him for the grace when it comes out less than perfectly.

1. Put your phone in another room.

When things feel dry in my quiet time, I want an instant hit of connection – and that’s what social media offers. Instant connection. Put the phone out of reach so that you wait on your connection with God.

God is not hiding from you. Persistently linger in His presence. He will meet you there.

Let’s Pray

Dear God, Thank You for always being present, even when I can’t feel Your presence. Lord, I need more of You, each and every day. Teach me to be patient and never stop seeking Your face, for as long as I may live. May knowing You more deeply be my greatest desire.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Sometimes we resist quiet time with God because of our struggle to hear from Him. What is your biggest fear about waiting on God?

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier @wemi@mrsciw @missamerley @mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016 @mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4 @bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie @uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma @kemi @yinca @graciee @teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu

Culled from https://girlfriendsingod.com/systems-verses-sitting/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

23rd Feb. 2017

Hi everyone. Here’s something to encourage you today. :flasher:

Image result for god showing up when we are in pain

Pressing Through the Pain

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” James 4:8a (NKJV)

Does it ever feel like the heartbreak in your life is trying to break you?

I understand. I really, really do. I’ve been in that place where the pain of heartbreak hits with such sudden and sharp force that it feels like it cuts through skin and bone. It’s the kind of pain that leaves us wondering if we’ll ever be able to function like a normal person again.

But God has been tenderly reminding me that pain itself is not the enemy. Pain is the indicator that brokenness exists.

Pain is the reminder that the real enemy is trying to take us out and bring us down by keeping us stuck in broken places. Pain is the gift that motivates us to fight with brave tenacity and fierce determination, knowing there’s healing on the other side.

And in the in-between? In that desperate place where we aren’t quite on the other side of it all yet, and our heart still feels quite raw?

Pain is the invitation for God to move in and replace our faltering strength with His. I’m not writing that to throw out spiritual platitudes that sound good; I write it from the depth of a heart that knows it’s the only way.

We must invite God into our pain to help us survive the desperate in-between.

The only other choice is to run from the pain by using some method of numbing. But numbing the pain — with food, achievements, drugs, alcohol or sex — never goes to the source of the real issue to make us healthier. It only silences our screaming need for help.

We think we are freeing ourselves from the pain when, in reality, what numbs us imprisons us. If we avoid the hurt, the hurt creates a void in us. It slowly kills the potential for our hearts to fully feel, fully connect, fully love again. It even steals the best in our relationship with God.

Pain is the sensation that indicates a transformation is needed. There is a weakness where new strength needs to enter in. And we must choose to pursue long-term strength rather than temporary relief.

So how do we get this new strength? How do we stop ourselves from chasing what will numb us when the deepest parts of us scream for some relief? How do we stop the piercing pain of this minute, this hour?

We invite God’s closeness.

For me, this means praying. No matter how vast our pit, prayer is big enough to fill us with the realization of His presence like nothing else.

Our key verse (James 4:8a) reminds us that when we draw near to God, He will draw near to us. When we invite Him close, He always accepts our invitation.

And on the days when my heart feels hurt and my words feel quite flat, I let Scripture guide my prayers — recording His Word in my journal, and then adding my own personal thoughts.

One of my personal favorites to turn to is Psalm 91. I would love to share this verse with you today, as an example for when you prayerfully invite God into your own pain.

Verse: “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” (Psalm 91:1, NIV)

Prayer: Lord, draw me close.

Your Word promises when I draw close to You, You are there. I want my drawing close to be a permanent dwelling place. At any moment when I feel weak and empty and alone, I pray that I won’t let those feelings drag me down into a pit of insecurity. But rather, I want those feelings to be triggers for me to immediately lift those burdensome feelings to You and trade them for the assurance of Your security.

I am not alone, because You are with me. I am not weak, because Your strength is infused in me. I am not empty, because I’m drinking daily from Your fullness. You are my dwelling place. And in You I have shelter from every stormy circumstance and harsh reality. I’m not pretending the hard things don’t exist, but I am rejoicing in the fact that Your covering protects me and prevents those hard things from affecting me like they used to.

You, the Most High, have the final say over me. You know me and love me intimately. And today I declare that I will trust You in the midst of my pain. You are my everyday dwelling place, my saving grace.

In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

And with that I close my prayer journal, feeling a lot less desperate and a lot more whole. I breathe the atmosphere of life His words bring.

I picture Him standing at the door of my future, knocking. If I will let Him enter into the darkness of my hurt today, He will open wide the door to a much brighter tomorrow.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Psalm 116:1-2, “I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.” (NIV).

REFLECT AND RESPOND:
    Read Psalm 91, and choose a verse to pray through in your own personal prayer journal.

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/encouragement/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

24th February, 2016
    Hi lovely people,  here’s the devotional for today. :flasher:
    Image result for filled with God's light

Filled with His Light

And this is the message [the message of promise] which we have heard from Him and now are reporting to you: God is Light, and there is no darkness in Him at all [no, not in any way]. [So] if we say we are partakers together and enjoy fellowship with Him when we live and move and are walking about in darkness, we are [both] speaking falsely and do not live and practice the Truth [which the Gospel presents].
    —1 John 1:5-6

So often the things we try to hide by burying them deep inside ourselves become darkness within us. But this passage tells us in God there is no darkness at all. So when we allow Him full entrance into our hearts and minds, there will be no darkness there. I am so glad that God fills every room in my heart, so that I am filled with His light. There are no places in my heart that I know of that are blocked off from Him and the light that comes with His presence. Often one of the signs that we are walking in the light of the Gospel is that we have good relationships with everyone with whom we come in contact in our daily lives—including our spouse and our children.

I can truthfully say that right now I do not know of any person in my life with whom I have a major problem. And it is not because they have all changed. The reason is that I have allowed the Lord to come into those dark recesses of my heart and fill them with His marvelous light. When I was one person on the inside and another person on the outside, I had to wear masks and be phony. I had to put on a facade and play games. I am so glad that now I can stand before God and my family and everyone else and be at peace with myself and with others.

I no longer have to live in fear of what anyone thinks of me, because I have opened my heart to God’s Holy Spirit and He has lighted up the dark places within me so I can live free! You can say the same thing if you will open your heart to God and allow Him to fill every part of you with His life-giving Spirit.

Culled from https://www.joycemeyer.org/Articles/devotional.aspx

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

27th Feb.2017

Good morning  :heart:   :heart:  Do have a great week and here’s is a good way to start it.

Fellowship with the Lord

Then you will seek Me, inquire for, and require Me [as a vital necessity] and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
    —Jeremiah 29:13

No matter how many principles and formulas you and I learn, we will never have lasting victory in our Christian life without spending time in personal, private fellowship with the Lord. The victory is not in methods; it is in God. If we are to live victoriously, we are going to have to look beyond ways to eliminate our problems and find the Lord in the midst of our problems.

The good news is that when we set aside time with God, He meets with us. We can be grateful, knowing that when we seek Him, we will find Him. God has a personalized plan for each of us, a plan that will lead us to victory. That is why principles, formulas, and methods are not the ultimate answer, because they do not allow for the individual differences in people. As good as all these things may be as general guidelines, they are not substitutes for personal fellowship with the Living God.

Prayer of Thanks: Thank You, Father, that I can meet with You at any time of the day or night. You’re always here for me and You desire to spend time with me. Your Word says that when I seek You, I will find You. So help me, Lord, to find You in every part of my life today.

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier @wemi@mrsciw @missamerley@mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016 @mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4@bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie@uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma @kemi @yinca @graciee@teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu @aseyori

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

28th February, 2017

Good morning lovelies :heart:   :heart:  The month has ended and here’s a reminder we all need from time to time. :flasher:

You’re More Than a Cleaned-Up Version of Your Old Self

Today’s Truth

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Friend to Friend

Most Christians see their conversion as a cleaned-up version of their old self, rather than as a brand new creation who did not exist before. The Bible says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here” (2 Corinthians 5:17). The old is gone, not just spiffied up.

After high school I went to college where I met and married an awesome Christian man whom I met at a friend’s Bible study. I saw him sitting on the floor with his back against the wall and his red flannel shirt rolled up his masculine arms. He had a worn Bible in his lap and an easy smile on his face. Before the year was up, I became his wife. About four years later, I became a mom.

Life was good, except for this termite-like gnawing in my gut that I just didn’t quite measure up to all the other church moms with their smiling faces. I went to Bible studies and even taught a few. However, I walked around with the fear that one day I would be found out—that one day folks would figure out that I wasn’t all that I was cracked up to be. I lived under an undefined self-imposed standard of approval.

Childhood echoes of “you’re so ugly” and “what’s wrong with you?” and “you did a terrible job” left me feeling congenitally flawed. I sat in Bible study groups like someone in a hospital waiting room: hoping for the best but expecting the worst. My greatest fear was that I’d be no closer to being free of the insecurity than I was before the study began.

When I was in my mid-thirties, I sat under the teaching of an older woman in my church, Mary Marshal Young. She opened my eyes to the truths in Scripture about who I was, what I had, and where I was (my position) as a child of God. I had read those verses scattered throughout Scripture before, but when she encouraged me to cluster them altogether into one list, God began a new work in my heart.

You are a saint.

You are chosen and dearly loved.

You are holy.

These truths were right there on the pages of my Bible in black and white and a few in red. I knew it was the infallible Word of God, but I felt rather squeamish hearing them, reading them, believing them.

They didn’t feel right.

They didn’t sound right.

They made me downright uncomfortable.

At the same time I was studying about my true identity, the devil taunted me with lies. Who do you think you are? A saint? Are you kidding? This stuff might be true for some people, but it certainly is not true about you.

One day God asked me an important question—one that He is asking you right now. Who are you going to believe?

That’s what I’m asking you today. Who are you going to believe?

When I decided to believe God…that changed everything. I believe it will do the same for you.

Let’s Pray

Heavenly Father, thank You for choosing me! Help me to believe that I am who You say I am, even when I don’t feel like it. I am standing on the truth of Your Word with shaky legs, but I’m standing all the same.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Do you have echoes of the past that taunt you? Lies from the enemy that tease you?

Here’s the plan for changing the way you think:

1.  Recognize the lie.

2.  Reject the lie.

3.  Replace the lie with truth.

Think of one lie that you believe about yourself, and then write down the verse about how God sees you to replace that lie.

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier @wemi@mrsciw @missamerley@mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016 @mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4@bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie@uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma @kemi @yinca @graciee@teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu @aseyori @esty @mickey

Culled from http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

1st March, 2017

Welcome to the month of March everyone.  :heart:   :heart: Today’s devotional is here.

Image result for welcome to march

A Prayer for Progress over Perfection

“For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.” (2 Corinthians 3:17-18)

My goal in life is to be transformed and to learn to walk in love as I continue to grasp just how much I am already loved by my precious Heavenly Father. Seeing this love will enable me to know which goals I should strive for—the goals God desires for me to have. The more I realize the immenseness of God’s love for me, the more I will make progress on goals that I would like to complete.

God doesn’t love our completed tasks as much as he loves our enthusiasm to work for Him. He is pleased the entire time that we are taking steps of obedience, not just at the end. There are some things that will never be completed this side of heaven—like world peace, for instance—but God is pleased when we take steps to live in unity with one other person.

Progress toward our goals, and even more importantly, progress toward our becoming more like Christ, is an ongoing thing.

There will always be more to do and more ways to grow in character and love. God is pleased when we take steps, when we step out of our comfort zones, and when we try.

Hebrews 11 says a lot about God’s happiness with our progress—otherwise known as faith:

• Faith shows the reality of what we hope for and is the evidence of things not seen yet.
    • Through faith, people earn a good reputation.
    • We can never fully know God and His ways but we can take steps to seek Him and seek to walk in the ways that we can decipher.
    • Even when Abraham reached the land God had promised him, he lived there by faith. Abraham confidently looked forward to a city designed and built by God.

I will and should complete tasks in this life and with enough progress, the end of a project will come. But there will be another project to follow that. It’s a journey and each project will teach me something new and grow my character.

You can be obedient and make progress each day of your life, a little at a time. And God will help you as you seek Him. God gave you that good work to do and He won’t leave you until your progress is complete.

Pray with me:

Dear Lord, You made me for good works. You gave me the desire to always learn and grow in my ability to love You and my neighbors. Help me to make progress on my goals each day and not to worry about the conclusion that you may bring out of that obedience. Remind me regularly that your conclusions of every matter will always bring fruit even though the conclusion may be different than I was thinking. Your ways are above my ways. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier @wemi@mrsciw @missamerley@mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016 @mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4@bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie@uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma @kemi @yinca @graciee@teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu @aseyori @esty @mickey @hodeejah

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/your-daily-prayer/a-prayer-for-progress-over-perfection-your-daily-prayer-march-1-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

2nd March, 2017

Good morning lovelies. Today’s devotional is here. :flasher:

Related image

God Speaks a Fresh Word

Seek, inquire of and for the Lord, and crave Him and His strength.…

—Psalm 105:4

When King Jehoshaphat heard that a huge army was amassing to attack Judah, he knew what to do. He needed to set himself to seek not the advice of the people, but to seek God and hear directly from Him.

No doubt, Jehoshaphat had been involved in other battles before this one, so why couldn’t he use the same methods he had employed in previous situations? No matter how many times something has worked in the past, it may not work to solve a current crisis unless God anoints it afresh. He may anoint an old method and choose to work through it, but He may also give us brand-new direction, instructions we have never heard before. We must always look to God, not to methods, formulas, or ways that have worked in the past. Our focus, our source of strength and supply, must be God and God alone.

Jehoshaphat knew that unless he heard from God, he was not going to make it. The Amplified Bible calls his need to hear God’s voice “his vital need.” It was something he could not do without; it was vital. It was essential to his life and the survival of his people.

You may be in a situation similar to Jehoshaphat’s. You, too, may need a fresh word from God. You may feel that, like a drowning man or woman, you are going under for the last time. You may be desperate for a personal word from God in order to survive.

God wants to speak to you even more than you want to hear from Him. Seek Him by giving Him your time and attention, and you won’t be disappointed.

God’s Word for You Today: Be open to hear a fresh word from God today.

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier @wemi@mrsciw @missamerley@mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016 @mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4@bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie@uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma @kemi @yinca @graciee@teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu @aseyori @esty @mickey @hodeejah @bibi

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

3rd March, 2017

Good morning lovelies :heart:   :heart:  Here’s the devotional for today.

Image result for bad attitude

Don’t Let a Bad Attitude Rule Your Life

“Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.” James 1:2 (NLT)

Last year, I found myself struggling with a serious bad attitude. I often thought, If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have no luck at all. Bah, and humbug, all year long.

Problems abounded in every area of my life. Important relationships fell apart, dreams were crushed, finances tight, deadlines missed and even certain ministry efforts brought disappointment and frustration. My old refrigerator kicked the bucket, and we had multiple minor traffic incidents all within a 3-month time span. When the day came that I didn’t know how much more I could take, God led me to James 1:2.

Can I be honest? The last thing I felt like doing was considering all of my troubles “an opportunity for great joy.” I couldn’t help but wonder: Seriously, God? How is that even really possible? But instead of closing my Bible in frustration, I sensed God nudging me to take a deep breath and keep reading. Little did I know He had beautiful encouragement in store just when I needed it most.

If we read this verse as a stand-alone suggestion, it seems impossible to realistically put into practice. Yet, if we read the context behind it in Scripture, it takes on an entirely new perspective and begins to seem — with God’s help — doable.

James wrote today’s key verse during a time where the Christians had allowed the frustrations and annoyances of life to steal their optimism and joy. But in their defense, these believers had a lot of serious and justifiable reasons to have a bad attitude.

They faced great persecution, unrelenting trials and sufferings — from murder to imprisonment — at the hand of Saul, who was zealous in his efforts to destroy the church and anyone associated with Jesus. As a result, these Christians were juggling an array of emotions, including fear, mourning, confusion, loneliness and even hopelessness.

Some fled their homes in fear for their lives. They lived in poverty, forced to scrounge for food to survive. Some were sick, and everyone was exhausted. They had every right to be negative and pessimistic. I can only imagine as they sunk under the weight of seemingly insurmountable problems and fears, that their faith might have been sinking, too.

James acknowledged their suffering but also wanted to give them hope and encouragement. He told them inner joy could still be theirs, if they deliberately chose to take control of their thinking and change their attitude. He encouraged them to pause and refocus on their faith.

When life gets hard, it’s difficult to avoid letting a bad attitude take over our minds and rule our lives. We might not experience religious persecution as those first believers did, but let’s face it: People hurt us, the past haunts us, coworkers mistreat us, parents don’t love us, friends don’t consider us, spouses don’t honor us, children don’t appreciate or respect us, finances don’t support us, and our health doesn’t sustain us. James’ instructions to the believers of his time can help us, too.

I closed my Bible, realizing my attitude was my choice, and knowing whatever circumstances I faced didn’t have the power to dictate that attitude unless I let them.

Although enduring problems with a smile and pure joy in our hearts can be difficult, doing so not only helps us become stronger believers, it opens the door for an attitude transformation.

Our attitudes are an outward display of what’s taking place in our hearts. When our hearts focus in the right place, our attitudes will, too. The only thing we have to lose by choosing a positive attitude is a negative one.

Lord, free me from the shackles of a bad attitude. Work in my heart and mind to transform my thinking from negative to positive — despite the struggles I face. Fill me with a joy that can only come from You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Philippians 4:8b, “Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” (NLT)

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier @wemi@mrsciw @missamerley@mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016 @mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4@bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie@uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma @kemi @yinca @graciee@teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu @aseyori @esty @mickey @hodeejah @bibi

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/encouragement-for-today/encouragement-for-today-march-3-2017.html

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

6th March, 2017

Good morning lovely people of God. It’s a great week already and all we need to do is take our position.Here’s something to ginger us in that direction, knowing that, we are but dust and our lives are really short.  ;-)

Image result for engagingmemories

Engaging in My Own Life

“You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure.” Psalm 39:5 (NIV)

We snuck the old 8 mm movie cylinders out of the home. The box was broken down on one corner, and the blue cases inside were fragile.

I remember the first time I watched them. My mother-in-law took out the archaic projector. She flashed the films on the wall. Some of the films were fragile, and they’d break over and over as she tried to show them. Soon, technology changed so much we couldn’t watch them anymore. The box got dustier and pushed back further in the closet.

We took the box out secretly, because we didn’t want to get her hopes up. I went to a local vendor and asked if there was anything he could do. He took those precious memories out of my hands and promised to try.

A few days later he called me back. He did it!

When we gave my mother-in-law the DVDs that held over 50 years of her life on them, she wept.

So did I.

Way back then, when the flickering film was projected in her living room, I appreciated it, but I didn’t see it the way she did. Those films held pictures of her mom and dad. They showed how chaotic it was for her to be a young mama. She treasured them because life was changing. She was a grandma, and some of those precious people were no longer in her life.

As we watched the movies this time, my mother-in-law sat nearby. Her hands shook; she now uses a walker to get around.

Today, I’m the grandma. Many of the people who seemed so young back then are no longer here.

In today’s passage, the psalmist describes life as a handbreadth, which is a measure of four fingers. It indicates how brief life is. While the writer of this psalm lamented that he put too much emphasis on wealth and things of the world, I’m reminded of other distractions.

I admit that sometimes I live as if my precious moments aren’t valuable. I take people for granted. I disengage as I scroll through social media, while real live people whom I love are nearby. I pile on work and activities, promising to spend time with those I love on another day.

It’s so tempting to value what has no lasting value at all and overlook what we’ll one day label a treasure.

That night, I looked around the room. I took in the faces one by one, appreciating something about each of them. I put my phone in my purse. It wasn’t nearly as important as talking to the one next to me. The room was crowded and noisy, and I realized that one day it would be quiet — for those little ones would be all grown up.

We shot our own videos that day with our phones and snazzy technology. One day, we’ll look back at those and laugh. We’ll weep at who is no longer with us. We’ll talk about how young we all were.

My hope is that I’ll watch it and know I didn’t live those moments disengaged or distracted. That I engaged in my own life in the handbreadth of time I was given, valuing all those I love.

Heavenly Father, despite what’s distracting me from the goodness right in front of me, show me the true value. I may not be able to put it aside fully, but show me how to give it the proper place in my heart and my life. Lord, help me treasure precious moments as memories in the making. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

TRUTH FOR TODAY:
    Psalm 144:4, “They are like a breath; their days are like a fleeting shadow.” (NIV)

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/encouragement-for-today/encouragement-for-today-march-1-2017.html

Bibi
    Participant
    @Bibi

Amen. Have a wonderful week ahead @oluwakemine

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

:heart: :heart: You too @bibi

Oluwakemi
    Keymaster
    @Oluwakemine

7th March, 2017

Good morning lovely people. Today’s  devotional speaks to my soul. I have known what it feels like to be disappointed and a TTC journey is often littered with disappointments but its comforting to know that , even then, God has got us all. Enjoy  :flasher:

A Prayer for a Disappointed Heart

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33

The world tells us that we can do whatever we put our mind to do. If we wish hard enough, we can click our heels and end up wherever our heart desires most. There are some Christians who say the same thing, that Jesus is our spiritual candy machine, dispensing dreams and hopes at the push of a prayer. They say that God wants us to be happy and wants us to have everything we’ve ever wanted. We just need to believe and pray harder.

take-heart

But the reality of our Christian life speaks otherwise. Disappointment is part of life in this fallen world. As believers, we shouldn’t be surprised when things don’t work out, when we face difficulty, or when life is disappointing. That’s because Adam fell into sin, we all fell into sin. The imprint of sin is on everything. Even the earth itself groans with the weight of it. We apply for a job and are told we aren’t qualified. We work hard for a promotion only to have someone else get it. We’ve turned thirty and there’s no ring on our finger. We finally have enough money to buy our first house, only to be outbid by someone else. The pregnancy test comes back negative. We feel left out of community in our church. Our children struggle in school, choose the wrong friends, or have no interest in spiritual things. The ministry we’ve worked so hard to create never gets off the ground.

Indeed, the disappointments in this life are too many to count.

But there’s gospel hope even in the midst of our disappointments. As Jesus said, “In this world you will have sorrow, but take heart, I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). Jesus said we will have sorrow. We will have disappointments and heartaches. Anyone who tells us otherwise is preaching a false gospel. But Jesus also pointed to our hope, “I have overcome the world.” Our hope and joy and contentment are not found in the things of this world but in Christ and what he has accomplished for us.

God is preparing us now, in this life, for eternity. He uses our struggles and challenges to sanctify us and make us holy. He is making us increasingly more like Christ by stripping away the layers of sin and removing the counterfeit loves in our heart. So when disappointments come, we can ask ourselves, “What might God be doing?” “What do I need to learn from this?” “How can I seek him in this?”  And rather than despair over our disappointments, we can remember that what disappoints us now will in the end make us more like our Savior (James 1:2-4).

Is life disappointing you today? Cry out to God in prayer.

A Prayer for the Disappointed Heart:

Father in Heaven,

I come before you with a heart weighed down by disappointments. Life hasn’t turned out like I expected. I feel let down, like I’ve been failed in some way. I don’t know what to do with these disappointments. Part of me wants to complain, part of me wants to give up in despair, and part of me wonders, Why do I even bother?

Yet even as I ask this, your Spirit prompts me in remembrance of your word. I know why life is disappointing. I know that it’s not supposed to be this way. You created everything to work together in perfect harmony. But ever since that day when my first parents ate the fruit you told them not to eat, life has been marred and broken by sin. Disappointments rule the day. Everything from the earth itself, to my body, to relationships, to my dreams, they all fail to work the way they are supposed to.

Father, forgive me for complaining about my situation. Forgive me for wallowing in my self-pity. Forgive me for my discontentment. Yes, I know why life is disappointing and I should not be surprised. But what do I with those disappointments? How do I wake up every day knowing that life will not work the way it is supposed to and that a struggle or trial will appear at some time in my future?

Your Spirit prompts me again and I remember your Son. The Man of Sorrows. He knew the disappointments of this life. Your word says, “He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not” (Isaiah 53:3). He willingly entered this dark world, filled with brokenness, pain, sin, and sorrow. He took on the same weak flesh that I wear. He experienced everything I experience. Yet he did not sin. He did what I cannot do. He woke up every morning knowing that it was one day closer to the day he would give up his life for me and he willingly took those steps forward. For me. And then when the time had come, he took on all my sin at the cross, suffering the curse I deserved. In that moment, he reversed the curse that started the day Eve bit into the flesh of that forbidden fruit.

I thank you Father for providing a way out of that curse. I thank you that because of your Son, I have the hope of heaven and eternity with you forever. I long for the day when all things will be restored to its rightful place, where there will be no more disappointments and sorrows and I’ll be finally freed of my sin forever.

Help me Father to have an eternal perspective. Help me to see my disappointments in light of what Jesus purchased for me at the cross. Help me to seize those disappointments as opportunities to draw closer to you and not away from you. Help me to learn from them. Help them to shape me more and more into the image of your Son. Help me to see Jesus in them and to see his love and grace for me.

In the name of Jesus I pray,

Amen.

cc:@nicole@nadia@elle@akosua@naaadzane@nekkyg@goldie10@lizzy@mrsciw@ritty@bosa@ujay@chyfaith@ibukun @salamigirl3k @eniola@oyinpd@nkemka@iyawodiipo @ange@angel @weni@msadesuwa @eka @lilymaram @emaimo @edojaprecious @chinny @namy @joys @chixavier@wemi@mrsciw @missamerley@mztee@pcosinlusaka @missfafa@mummybryan @nkay@olay@dsquared@dedebonyaki @tiwa @ayokuleyin @bola2016@mzoj@tushtati01 @ebi-4@bukkiearegbe@tamtam @eguns@olufunmi @abeemah@oyinforever @egobaby @dinma14@wonuola @emeraldmoni30 @asimco @angel-2 @ladylorrie @stephanie@uwaye @iphii @abbyigold@asenath @ikechukwungozi@babynaatey@olugod@fruitfuldamsel @mztee @fany @joy022 @juleskemi @uloma@kemi @yinca @graciee@teemah @muanya @teeade22 @jennic @xteeu @aseyori @esty @mickey @hodeejah @bibi

Culled from http://www.ibelieve.com/devotionals/your-daily-prayer/a-prayer-for-a-disappointed-heart-your-daily-prayer-october-21-2016.html

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 362 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.