Endometriosis affects millions of women around the world and can cause debilitating pain and suffering.
But what do we know about the disease? We’ve put together a list of 10 fast facts about endometriosis with help from wtop.com.
- It can run in families.
- The pain level differs from woman to woman, with some women experiencing extreme pain.
- Some women may also suffer from abdominal bloating.
- Pregnancy may relieve the symptoms of endometriosis.
- Others may find it difficult to become pregnant due to the disease.
- Lesions are mostly found in the pelvic region.
- The lesions can grow very large and can affect nerve tissue.
- Lesions can also be found in the abdomen and in extreme cases, as far as the lungs or brain.
- The lesions can lead to cysts and pelvic adhesions.
- Endometriosis is fueled by the hormone estrogen.
- Lesions need to be excised by specialist surgeons to bring pain relief.
- It can take up to 10 years for women to be diagnosed with the disease.
Culled from https://endometriosisnews.com/